Bellazon

mylovelyangel

Butler did some good acting in this film.

Must admit I didn't expect much after Phantom of the Opera, though he did well in that film as well. I just wasn't paying attention to him the whole time. Emmy Rossum is such a beautiful girl. But yeah, Gerald Butler was good in this film. I really liked this movie.

actually it's history

Eh, it's history in that there was a battle of Thermopylae, Xerxes and Leonidas were leaders,and some of the quotes used in the movie are real.

That's where it ends, really. The phalanx didn't really fight like that, and the Persians didn't employ monsters and beasts. They did employ light infantry, which crashed up against the phalanx, leaving a scene that resembled a meat grinder.

Anyway, the invasion still wasn't stopped until the Athenian navy sank the Persian fleet, leaving Xerxes without support.

Not to diminish the accomplishment of the 7,000 Greeks (300 of whom were Spartans) at Thermopylae by any means, though.

I just wanted to make it clear that it isn't based on a comic book but on

real historical events!that is all

!I know that it is quite inaccurate but the whole attitude is correct ,and so is the way of life in sparta those days!at least that it what i was taught in school! :wave:

patriotis??

!I know that it is quite inaccurate but the whole attitude is correct ,and so is the way of life in sparta those days!at least that it what i was taught in school! :wave:

patriotis??

Well, it's based on a graphic novel that is based on Thermopylae. The story goes that Frank Miller was watching The 300 Spartans and got the idea to do a comic about it. He then wrote his own vision of the battle based on the previous movie and some research he did, but it is Miller's version of the conflict.

As far as the Spartans go, I'd say it's pretty close to how they lived - but I was annoyed at all the talk about freedom at the same time they were using the Helots as slaves and practice dummies (to be a Spartan warrior, a trainee would have to go out and murder one of them without getting caught).

tdpatriots12 refers to Tom Brady, the quarterback (think creative midfielder, in soccer/football terms) of my favorite American football team. To put it in terms this forum can understand, he's dating Gisele Budchen. I believe he also has a thread here in Male Athletes.

patriotis??

Well, it's based on a graphic novel that is based on Thermopylae. The story goes that Frank Miller was watching The 300 Spartans and got the idea to do a comic about it. He then wrote his own vision of the battle based on the previous movie and some research he did, but it is Miller's version of the conflict.

As far as the Spartans go, I'd say it's pretty close to how they lived - but I was annoyed at all the talk about freedom at the same time they were using the Helots as slaves and practice dummies (to be a Spartan warrior, a trainee would have to go out and murder one of them without getting caught).

tdpatriots12 refers to Tom Brady, the quarterback (think creative midfielder, in soccer/football terms) of my favorite American football team. To put it in terms this forum can understand, he's dating Gisele Budchen. I believe he also has a thread here in Male Athletes.

I can see someone has done his homework!thanks for all the info..i just wanted to state that i found the movie really good and i think i enjoyed it more as a greek! :flower: :hehe:

I liked most of it...save for some really cheesy dialogue, the narration and the over-exaggeration (there's exaggeration, and then there's 300) :ninja:

I liked the battle scenes though :bellazon:

Some of that over-the-top-dialogue is real.

-Tonight we dine in hell

-(Arrows are so numerous they'll block out the sun) Then we'll fight in the shade

etc.

Real quotes, but both by Leonidas in real life

Yes, I read about those, and the "come back with your shield or on it" comment (which I totally don't understand :blink:) but some of the other dialogue was really cheesy as well e.g. the father-son banter in mid-battle... like dude, wtf was that? :laugh:

Yes, I read about those, and the "come back with your shield or on it" comment (which I totally don't understand :blink:) but some of the other dialogue was really cheesy as well e.g. the father-son banter in mid-battle... like dude, wtf was that? :laugh:

In ancient sparta it was great shame to live after a war you lost!the most glorious and honored death was the death on the battlefield!i'm sure that was pointed out in the movie!

In ancient sparta it was great shame to live after a war you lost!the most glorious and honored death was the death on the battlefield!i'm sure that was pointed out in the movie!

I understood that bit but I didn't get how he'd come back on his shield :/ The man would be dead :| Unless the enemy sent them back on shields :blink:

I understood that bit but I didn't get how he'd come back on his shield :/ The man would be dead :| Unless the enemy sent them back on shields :blink:

Yes dead on his shield!

Finally saw it. Even disregarding the monsters fighting on the Persian army, there is a lot of stuff highly inaccurate in this movie. But that's alright, I think most people realized they were going in for a bit of pop-corn cinema and not a history lesson. But if you ask me, it hardly succeeds as that as well. The pacing is terrible, leading you to believe that the movie is ready to take off for most of the second half, but it never really does. :no: