Bellazon

House of the Dragon (2022)

Cult Icon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_the_Dragon

House of the Dragon is an upcoming American fantasy drama television series created by George R. R. Martin and Ryan J. Condal for HBO. It is a prequel to the television series Game of Thrones (2011–2019) and is based on Martin's 2018 novel Fire & Blood. The series begins 200 years before the events of Game of Thrones[2] and chronicles the beginning of the end of House Targaryen and the events leading up to the Targaryen civil war, known as the "Dance of the Dragons".

• 7 months later...

Interesting book based breakdown of the trailer. 

IMHO this show could be OK but I doubt that it will capture the magic and freshness of the original.  Fire and Blood comes across as too derivative of Game of Thrones and a lesser version of it.   Like how LOTR is the superior version of the Hobbit/Simarillion.

• 1 month later...

Not a Blog | George R.R. Martin (georgerrmartin.com

"There are four live-action successor shows in development at HBO.   Word got out about three of them some time ago.   TEN THOUSAND SHIPS, the Nymeria show, helmed by Amanda Segel.   SEA SNAKE, aka NINE VOYAGES, with Bruno Heller.   And the Dunk & Egg show, THE HEDGE KNIGHT or KNIGHT OF THE SEVEN KINGDOMS, with Steve Conrad writing. "

5 hours ago, SympathysSilhouette said:

I doubt any of these shows will recapture the imagination like early GoT.

Key to the success of GOT was that GRRM played a key role in casting and production.   Also Season 1 is really close to the book.

The bad result of Season 7-8 has critically damaged the hype for all the successor shows.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Didn't really like the premiere that much.

The cast definitely doesn't feel like it is collectively as strong as the original show.

The only two I like so far are Paddy Considine and Rhys Ifans.

I don't really rate Matt Smith very highly as an actor and his worst traits are on display in this role (he has no subtlety to speak of in any of his performances).

3 hours ago, SympathysSilhouette said:

Didn't really like the premiere that much.

The cast definitely doesn't feel like it is collectively as strong as the original show.

The only two I like so far are Paddy Considine and Rhys Ifans.

I don't really rate Matt Smith very highly as an actor and his worst traits are on display in this role (he has no subtlety to speak of in any of his performances).

I heard that the first episode was decent but the casting was not strong enough and nowhere as good as Ep. 1 Season 1 of GOT.  This is a common problem with shows.  It is also grimdark like the latter seasons of GOT and there is no humor.  They are missing light hearted characters like Tyrion and others.

The first season is supposed to have 9 different dragons.  It is really hard to top the casting of Game of Thrones, that was a unicorn.

Yeah, the tone is also very different, very serious and with no real room for humor. So no scenes where like Tyrion or Bronn gets to be funny.

I do think the GoT original cast was a bit like catching lighting in a bottle. So I didn't expect an ensemble that was just as good. But the House of the Dragon bunch fall incredibly short of that standard.

I also don't get why they cast Matt Smith in a role he is obviously not right for.

5 hours ago, SympathysSilhouette said:

Yeah, the tone is also very different, very serious and with no real room for humor. So no scenes where like Tyrion or Bronn gets to be funny.

I do think the GoT original cast was a bit like catching lighting in a bottle. So I didn't expect an ensemble that was just as good. But the House of the Dragon bunch fall incredibly short of that standard.

I also don't get why they cast Matt Smith in a role he is obviously not right for.

What is really questionable about the show are the wigs/hairstyles.  I know that is the lore but it looks so weird and unnatural.  Matt Smith, from the trailers, is kind of wonky looking too.

I think the grimdark tone is a major misstep.  It is common in many shows besides this one.  I recall Westworld Season 2 as having a similar tone as the latter seasons of GOT (both made by HBO).   The Netflix Witcher has also that problem, when both the books and games have that special humor in the background.

@SympathysSilhouette  I am watching, but many aspects look "same same but different" as Game of Thrones.  The scenarios are different but the underlying motives are similar, with similar archetypes.

This story appears to be somewhat derivative of Game of Thrones.

I think GRMM could learn a lot from the Witcher, and make the philosophy and psychology of his characters deeper.  The story doesn't have be nihilistic.