Bellazon

Cristiano Ronaldo
Thumbnail

persuazn

"Ronaldo or Messi to decide Classico"

Real Madrid winger Angel di Maria believes the El Classico will be decided by Cristiano Ronaldo or Barcelona's Lionel Messi.

The Argentinean will get his first taste of the much famed El Classico on Monday after signing for Madrid during the summer.

And the 22-year-old, who has scored four goals for the Galaticos this season, is hyped up for the clash and reckons the result will be decided by either of the two best players in the world.

"It is a cute game. We know that Real Madrid has gone a while without a win over Barcelona, and we will have to give everything to beat them," he told Spanish publication AS.

"[Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo] are the best in the world, and they will be key in the Clasico."

Di Maria also spoke about the impact of coach Jose Mourinho, who made him his first signing since taking charge at the Santiago Bernabeu.

"He has given me confidence and makes me more at ease. He has taught me to sacrifice more for the team. He takes the responsibility and it takes the pressure off of the players."

Madrid head into the mouth-watering clash just one point ahead of their rivals Barcelona.

Real Madrid 5-1 Athletic Bilbao

Cristiano Ronaldo scored a hat-trick as Real Madrid saw off battling Athletic Bilbao 5-1 at the Bernabeu on Saturday evening.

With Barcelona winning 8-0 earlier in the evening Madrid knew they needed a victory to take a one-point lead to the Nou Camp for 'El Clasico', and Jose Mourinho's in-form side made no mistake as they made it seven league wins on the trot.

Ronaldo netted three of the goals - the final one coming from the penalty spot deep into injury-time - while Gonzalo Higuain and Sergio Ramos, with another penalty, were also on the scoresheet.

Athletic, who have a miserable record at the Bernabeu, had made it 2-1 just before half-time through star striker Fernando Llorente but they could make no further in-roads as Madrid - for whom Mourinho was serving the second of a two-match touchline ban - completed a deserved, if slightly flattering, victory.

Athletic came into the match having won just 13 times in 79 visits to the Bernabeu down the years, while their past 12 league and cup visits to this ground had ended in defeat.

However, they gave Madrid as good as they got in a closely-fought first half and were somewhat unlucky to be trailing at the break.

Spain forward Llorente, who has been linked with a move to Madrid in recent weeks, was a major thorn in the home side's defence and he almost put Athletic ahead in the second minute.

The powerful striker showed great strength and skill to get through Ricardo Carvalho and Sami Khedira before sliding the ball past Iker Casillas, but Pepe got back to clear off the line.

Madrid survived that let-off and took the lead in the 20th minute when Higuain picked up a pass from Angel Di Maria, shrugged off the challenges of Fernando Amorebieta and Mikel San Jose before slotting past Gorka Iraizoz.

Far from demoralising Athletic though, that goal seemed to further inspire the Basque outfit and they twice came close to an equaliser with Casillas producing brilliant diving saves to deny Markel Susaeta and Llorente.

However, 60 seconds after Casillas kept out Llorente's effort, Madrid raced down the other end and made it 2-0 with a superbly-worked goal through Ronaldo.

Higuain and Ozil were both involved before Ronaldo picked up the German international's lay-off before driving a low shot into the far bottom corner.

Ronaldo and Higuain both missed chances to make it 3-0 before Athletic pulled a goal back in the 40th minute when Llorente slammed the ball into the roof of the net from close range.

That breakthrough was no more than Athletic deserved and they nearly made it 2-2 eight minutes into the second half when Susaeta brought a flying save out of Casillas with a 25-yard free-kick.

Athletic would come no closer to drawing level, though, as within two minutes they found themselves 3-1 down.

Di Maria won a penalty after being sent flying by Susaeta and Ramos, who somewhat surprisingly stepped up to take the kick, fired his shot into the top corner to increase Madrid's lead.

Ronaldo made it 4-1 in the 62nd minute with a 35-yard free-kick that Athletic goalkeeper Iraizoz will feel disappointed to have let in.

The Portugal international completed the scoring late on after Athletic had came close to pulling a late goal back when Javi Martinez hit the crossbar from close range.

Esteban Granero was fouled inside the area by Amorebieta and Ronaldo netted a twice-taken penalty to increase his league tally to 14 for the season.

Cristiano: "Vamos a ver si el Barça mete 8 el lunes"

"¿Que el Barça ha ganado 0-8? No me dice nada. Vamos a ver si los mete el lunes", dijo Cristiano Ronaldo en los micrófonos de La Sexta. El portugués estaba exultante tras hacer un hat trick en el 5-1 ante el Athletic: "El Pichichi no me importa. Estoy luchando por ganar la Liga".

El portugués también contó cómo se produjo la jugada en la que Sergio Ramos lanzó el penalti: "Sergio me ha dicho, déjame marcar, déjame marcar y es un gran amigo y necesita confianza".

Cristiano estaba contento con el juego de su equipo: "El segundo tiempo ha estado mucho mejor. Mourinho nos habló en el descanso y sonó el despertador".

CRISTIANO RONALDO EXPECTED TO START AGAINST ATHLETIC BILBAO DESPITE CALF PROBLEM

Any doubts over the fitness of Real Madrid ace Cristiano Ronaldo for Saturday’s encounter against Athletic Bilbao appeared to be pushed to one side on Friday as the Portuguese trained normally with his team-mates, Marca has reported. ‘CR7’, however, was wearing a bandage over his left calf, indicating that he has an issue with the muscle.

The former Manchester United man was withdrawn at half-time during the Seleccao’s terrific midweek victory over Spain and hadn’t trained on Thursday as a precautionary measure.

Friday’s show of strength during the club’s training session now has La Primera Division’s top scorer odds on to feature prominently at the weekend having been named in coach Jose Mourinho’s squad despite the Classico being just nine days away.

Ronaldo has been a major player for los Blancos in the early weeks of the campaign, scoring 11 times in as many games, plus creating five goals directly for team-mates.

CRISTIANO RONALDO EXPECTED TO START AGAINST ATHLETIC BILBAO DESPITE CALF PROBLEM

Any doubts over the fitness of Real Madrid ace Cristiano Ronaldo for Saturday’s encounter against Athletic Bilbao appeared to be pushed to one side on Friday as the Portuguese trained normally with his team-mates, Marca has reported. ‘CR7’, however, was wearing a bandage over his left calf, indicating that he has an issue with the muscle.

The former Manchester United man was withdrawn at half-time during the Seleccao’s terrific midweek victory over Spain and hadn’t trained on Thursday as a precautionary measure.

Friday’s show of strength during the club’s training session now has La Primera Division’s top scorer odds on to feature prominently at the weekend having been named in coach Jose Mourinho’s squad despite the Classico being just nine days away.

Ronaldo has been a major player for los Blancos in the early weeks of the campaign, scoring 11 times in as many games, plus creating five goals directly for team-mates.

RONALDO CHALLENGES BARCA TO SCORE EIGHT AGAINST REAL

MADRID (Reuters) – Cristiano Ronaldo challenged Barcelona to try and score eight goals past his Real Madrid side when asked for his views on the champions’ earlier 8-0 thrashing of Almeria in La Liga on Saturday.

The Portugal forward scored a hat-trick in his side’s 5-1 hammering of Athletic Bilbao at the Bernabeu, taking his tally for the season to 14, one ahead of Lionel Messi in the La Liga goalscoring charts.

The Argentine World Player of the Year had netted a hat-trick in Barca’s romp over struggling Almeria, but Ronaldo was less than impressed with their efforts when questioned by Spanish television pitchside at the Bernabeu.

“(The 8-0 win) It doesn’t tell me anything,” Ronaldo said. “Let’s see if they score eight against us on Monday.”

“I’m pleased to have scored but the most important thing is that the team won. I’m fighting to win the league. The top scorer’s award isn’t important to me.”

Unbeaten Real Madrid travel to face second-placed Barcelona on November 29 with a one-point advantage over the champions.

Barca’s victory over Almeria equalled their record away win achieved in 1959, when they won by the same scoreline in Las Palmas, but their coach Pep Guardiola refused to read too much into it with Madrid their next opponents in the league.

“We didn’t look to send a warning out to anyone here today,” Guardiola told reporters.

“We played to a great level as we have in other games. In the first half (when they scored five) we had the same number of occasions as in other games, and today we put them away.”

The victory led to the swift sacking of Almeria coach Juan Manuel Lillo, a good friend of Guardiola’s.

“It has been an uncomfortable situation for him and me,” Guadiola added.

“I have known him for many years. He’s a fantastic person and a great coach. We’ve just beaten the side with the third best defensive record in the league.”

Ronaldo not bothered by Barca

Cristiano Ronaldo paid little heed to Barcelona's eight-goal mauling of Almeria ahead of the duo's El Clasico clash next week.

Barca equalled a 51-year-old club record for their biggest away victory in La Liga by demolishing Almeria 8-0 at the Estadio de los Juegos Mediterraneos on Saturday.

That result saw Pep Guardiola's side briefly take over top spot in La Liga, but Real Madrid reclaimed pole position after thumping Athletic Bilbao 5-1 at the Bernabeu in the evening's late match.

Real ace Ronaldo appeared far from concerned about Barca's result, saying: "The 8-0 at Almeria doesn't tell me anything, lets see if they score eight goals against us on Monday."

Aside from pitting the top two teams in La Liga against each other, El Clasico should also see the two leading goalscorers in the division go head to head.

Barca ace Lionel Messi took his tally to 13 for the season with a hat-trick against Almeria, but Ronaldo then did likewise against Athletic to stay one goal clear on 14.

Despite that impressive tally, Ronaldo insists his main aim for the season is team success rather than individual glory.

He said: "We are very happy for the win and I'm also very happy for scoring three goals, but the important thing is that we continue being leaders.

"I'm fighting to win the league, not for the Pichichi (leading goalscorer in La Liga)."

Ronaldo might have been celebrating another goal against Athletic if he had taken the 57th-minute spot-kick awarded to his side.

The Portugal international is Madrid's regular penalty-taker and scored from the spot in injury-time to complete his hat-trick, but for the first kick it was, rather surprisingly, defender Sergio Ramos who stepped up.

Ramos duly slotted his penalty into the top corner to put Madrid 3-1 up, and Ronaldo said afterwards: "Sergio told me to leave it to him and I'm not going to argue with him over a penalty. He's my team-mate and a great friend. The goal will help Sergio gain more confidence."

Ramos said of the incident in AS: "On the pitch everyone was surprised. There's usually an order, but I was confident and had a thorn in my side because I hadn't scored and normally I have a decent goal average.

"I hope this is the start of a good run."

The guy is gorgeous yes but he is a great soccer player too. It drives me crazy that women who have never watched a soccer in their life are all of a sudden a fan because he is hot. There is so much more to him than just looks.

The guy is gorgeous yes but he is a great soccer player too. It drives me crazy that women who have never watched a soccer in their life are all of a sudden a fan because he is hot. There is so much more to him than just looks.

About which women are you talking about? His "girlfriend" Irina?