Bellazon

Zack Snyder's "Justice League" (2017/2021)

PinkCouture

On 5/28/2021 at 7:17 AM, Cult Icon said:

You know it would be cool to see film adaptations of Bioshock or some other IP.  However on the other hand the cutscenes of games are as long as a miniseries.  The Witcher cutscenes were tens of hours long.  I dunno what sort of value could be added by a film that motion capture and telling a story through environments, interactions, and gameplay.. can't do.  The downsides seem greater than the upsides. 

I still think that there are tons of great comics that can be made into good films.  Did you know that "History of Violence" and "Road to Perdition" were graphic novels?

If I'm honest, it always surprises me when video game movies turn out so badly, especially when they're based on genuinely immersive material. It shouldn't be too much of a stretch to think that one could take something like Uncharted or Tomb Raider, which (in the nicest possible way) are reasonably linear and simply do a straight adaptation, yet for some reason they still can't seem to get it right.

Overall though, as you say, I do find that's usually the problem, perhaps coupled with the comparative lack of interactivity in movies. Obviously, in games where the story is bit silly, you can just concentrate on the fun bits, but it's harder to overlook in a movie with a poor plot.

I'd heard that Road to Perdition was, albeit never sought out the original book, but I didn't know about History of Violence. I guess many movies have been adapted that don't really advertise their comic roots.

On 5/28/2021 at 7:24 AM, Cult Icon said:

I don't know why Evans and Downey are "retired" in the Marvel universe.  The actors don't want to play them anymore?  Since these were their biggest roles - doubtful that that they can get a bigger one again- seems rather premature.  You're right about it being too early to replace them.  Avengers endgame came out not long ago.

I remember inhumans being a popular comic book series but that was many years ago.

I think the way both arcs ended were pretty definitive and coming back in any capacity would probably just harm that. In the case of Iron Man too, I think Stark and "Stark Tech" had perhaps become a bit too much of a crutch that they would often lean on for explanations and connections to the extended universe.

Yeah, I'd been something of a fan of the Inhumans books beforehand, but the production values of the show were just so pedestrian, particularly in relation to how grandiose it seemingly wanted to be. They were restricted to the point of having to play down the powers of the characters and obviously, that was a pretty big part of what made them compelling.

On 6/4/2021 at 6:18 PM, Michael* said:

If I'm honest, it always surprises me when video game movies turn out so badly, especially when they're based on genuinely immersive material. It shouldn't be too much of a stretch to think that one could take something like Uncharted or Tomb Raider, which (in the nicest possible way) are reasonably linear and simply do a straight adaptation, yet for some reason they still can't seem to get it right.

Overall though, as you say, I do find that's usually the problem, perhaps coupled with the comparative lack of interactivity in movies. Obviously, in games where the story is bit silly, you can just concentrate on the fun bits, but it's harder to overlook in a movie with a poor plot.

I'd heard that Road to Perdition was, albeit never sought out the original book, but I didn't know about History of Violence. I guess many movies have been adapted that don't really advertise their comic roots.

Also, "I am Legend" was a graphic novel too..!

I agree how it is weird that videogames haven't been successful in films.  The question that comes to me is what sort of special value a film can have over a game without the film being compared negatively to the game.  Films/TV shows add huge value to the written word however the games now have 5 + hours of cutscenes anyway.  Also, the budget of films would have to be gigantic to show what is already in the game.

There's also the issue that the characters in the videogame film/show would be too different than the ones in the game and not come off as "authentic".  I think this is a big problem in the Resident Evil films.  At least for the first 2 films, none of those actors are like the ones in the games.

And finally, the storytelling structure for a film is very different from that of a game. Films/screenplays, due to time limitations, tend to follow a lot of schematic structures.  I don't know if this structure can present anything interesting and new that a game with a strong story can't do.

Kojima was influenced by characters/scenarios were ripped off of 1980s and 1990s movies, Michael Biehn was on the cover of the original game lol.  Biehn in "The Rock" the closest we'll get to solid snake.

1468607326-1-metal-gear-terminator.jpg?r

On 6/4/2021 at 6:43 PM, Michael* said:

Yeah, I'd been something of a fan of the Inhumans books beforehand, but the production values of the show were just so pedestrian, particularly in relation to how grandiose it seemingly wanted to be. They were restricted to the point of having to play down the powers of the characters and obviously, that was a pretty big part of what made them compelling.

Did you see the Bucky and Falcon show?  It looks low budget and disappointing too.  Bucky looks like he's aging, weird and ordinary without his hair.

On 6/4/2021 at 5:55 PM, Michael* said:

Yeah, while maybe not the most faithful to any particular game in the series, the first film does provide a decent blend of action and horror with some good sets and visuals, as well as a pretty good performance from Milla Jovovich. Unfortunately, it was nearly all downhill from there.

Incidentally, although I'm not sure who's in the director's chair for the reboot, it feels to me like the sort of thing that could perhaps have played to Snyder's strengths.

I heard it's a no-name director...

Yeah the first movie felt like it could be a non-Resident Evil horror movie.  I can see how they would find recreating the mansion and police station to be intimidating and opted for something that more resembles an indie horror film.

Milla Jovovich is so gorgeous.  I still think her best role was the Alien in 5th Element ...!

Synder's new zombie film has been panned by fans as being not good.  I saw portions of it, I thought it to be mediocre and not as good as his Dawn of the Dead remake.  The film is aggressively marketed though.

Just finished Alien: Isolation.  This game could easily be turned into a reboot of Alien.  It's basically Alien but far more complex and more interesting.  Instead of space ship it takes place on a space station.  It has all the basic structures and the tropes.  Well done!