Bellazon

Claudia Schiffer
Thumbnail

bigassscans

I agree with you 100%. And luckily i have that Rolling Stone cover with Claudia in my collection and i am very happy with it!

Claudia is an Icon, but so is Linda and Cindy. If Claudia was better on the catwalk, she might have had bigger recognition. But as much as i love her, it is always painful to see her on the runway...out of all big models, she has the worst walk ever...sorry.

9 minutes ago, radolgc said:

I agree with you 100%. And luckily i have that Rolling Stone cover with Claudia in my collection and i am very happy with it!

Claudia is an Icon, but so is Linda and Cindy. If Claudia was better on the catwalk, she might have had bigger recognition. But as much as i love her, it is always painful to see her on the runway...out of all big models, she has the worst walk ever...sorry.

That's True! Claudia is not suitable for the runway and she does have an awkward walk. She talked about it very openly. But, let's remember that in some way it is also a testimony of how much Lagerfeld loved her, because she never wanted to be a runway model (she knew she couldn't walk like the other girls) and he pressured her to do her first catwalk for CHANEL in January 1990, and told her: "as far as I'm concerned you can walk as you walk to the supermarket." (you can listen to him say that on Youtube) because Karl always considered her to be more than a model, he thought of her as a personality, as bigger than life. Just like actress Sharon Stone walked the runway for Valentino (horrible walk) but no one expected her to do something else. So in a way, you can claim that Claudia's walk proves how much designers loved her, and invited her to open and close their shows even though they knew they could find better catwalk models. Also, she has such a strong presence that she doesn't really need to try to impress anyone with a killer walk. I've met Claudia many times (I'm a journalist) and accompanied her to many events, and trust me, whenever she enters the room, people lose their breath. That's a quality you're born with, no can can teach you how to do that. I'm attaching some photos from recent years, sorry for the poor quality. I have many more in my album at home. 

received_244094627934953.jpeg

There can be no denial that she has a presence and one can forgive her anything else that might not be perfect(as her walk, maybe the only imperfection she has). Again, you are totally right. And you are a very, very, very lucky guy to have met her so many times and have selfies with her...i could have never done that, cause i saw her only twice during Paris fashion week and she was surrounded by bodyguards and paparazi, so i could only snap a few images with my camera, which i posted here a few months ago. She is iconic and there is no doubt in it. Her images are wow almost all the time. Her Guess campaign is maybe the best Guess campaign ever! I wish i had started collecting her years ago and not just recently, but i am slowly gathering more and more...maybe in 20 years my collection will be decent😉

I said shameful because there’s now people who think that the only supermodels to ever exist were the 4 in the documentary. I’ve seen many people saying “Claudia wasn’t included because she was just a guess model and Barbie wannabe”…and stuff like that. Which is so not true and unfair to many other big models of the time.  The documentary was nice but overall to me it felt more like a Freedom 90 model reunion. Not an actual supermodel documentary. It’s caused a lot of people to totally diss Claudia which is indeed shameful as technically she had an even bigger audience than the Trinity. (Outside of fashion). 

10 hours ago, michelabella said:

I said shameful because there’s now people who think that the only supermodels to ever exist were the 4 in the documentary. I’ve seen many people saying “Claudia wasn’t included because she was just a guess model and Barbie wannabe”…and stuff like that. Which is so not true and unfair to many other big models of the time.  The documentary was nice but overall to me it felt more like a Freedom 90 model reunion. Not an actual supermodel documentary. It’s caused a lot of people to totally diss Claudia which is indeed shameful as technically she had an even bigger audience than the Trinity. (Outside of fashion). 

Well said. Claudia was way bigger than any of her 'big five' colleauges, by a long way... so Vogue's treatment of her was and still is shameful.

Stefano

29 minutes ago, StefanoP57 said:

Well said. Claudia was way bigger than any of her 'big five' colleauges, by a long way... so Vogue's treatment of her was and still is shameful.

Stefano

All True. It's painful to see history being re-written by some 'Gen Z journalists', who weren't even born when Claudia was at the height of her career. 

All big models deserve recognition, but no matter what we think or what we say or what our preferences are, i do not think models should be leveled at all. They were all a part of the same business and they had similar jobs working for the same clients and magazines. I do not know why you are kinda angry at this new documentary. I guess the name of it should have been different. As i said previously, i suppose the fact that these big 4 names are of top models who come from countries who dictate the whole world and it must play a role in the choice. But that music video and the January Vogue UK cover play a role, too. And of course nobody can deny the importance of these Iconic 4.

2 hours ago, harelsharon said:

All True. It's painful to see history being re-written by some 'Gen Z journalists', who weren't even born when Claudia was at the height of her career. 

Between 1990 and 1996 as a pro journalist (not in the fashion business) I stayed often in Milano and Paris for professional reasons and I couldn't notice that everything there was 'Claudia'.

Magazine covers with her face were the norm, and much more relevant than today's Vogue decisions. She was the face of fashion and the other 4 were way beyond in popular recognition. So much that the leading Ford stylists (J Mays for example) used her as a paradigm of beauty.

Gen Z journos know nothing of the vibe that Caludia evoked in those two fashion capital cities and unable/unwilling to read, for the example, the Guinness Book of Records. Probably the wholesome, no-drugs, no-alcohol style of Claudia do not sit well with a generation used to glorify 'bad girls'.

This said, I love the other legendary models as well. 

Cheers

Stefano