Bellazon

Cicinho
Thumbnail

Rani_7

Roma eye Cicinho

Thursday 15 March, 2007

Reports in Italy suggest that Roma boss Luciano Spalletti has renewed his interested in Real Madrid right-back Cicinho.

The Brazilian, who is considered as the heir to Marcos Cafu for the Selecao, has just returned to action after rupturing his right cruciate ligament in September.

However, the flying full-back, who holds an Italian passport, seems keen to leave Madrid, where he has never completely settled since his £3m move from Sao Paulo in 2005.

Cicinho’s proposed move might also be favoured by the fact that his new agents Mario Miele and Ovidio Colucci also represent Giallorossi ‘keeper Alexander Doni, a close friend of his.

The 26-year-old was close to joining the capital club last summer, when Roma had agreed to take him on loan, but the Merengues wanted to make a permanent sale and the negotiations stalled.

The latest reports suggest that Cicinho might land in Rome for something around £4m, a price that the Giallorossi would be willing to spend as they plan to reinforce their squad for next season.

AC Milan tracking Real Madrid fullback Cicinho

AC Milan are stepping up their interest for Real Madrid fullback Cicinho.

The Brazil international has attracted enquiries from Roma, however Milan are taking advantage of their new relationship with Real courtesy of the negotiations over Ronaldo's transfer to register their interest for the right-sided fullback.

Milan came close to snapping up Cicinho over two years ago, but he was put off and chose Real after Rossoneri vice-president Adriano Galliani mistakenly quipped: "Cicinho? He's a winger, not a fullback."

Galliani is now set to try again for the defender, who he sees as a natural replacement for veteran Cafu.

Cicinho press conference

"The team is happy and convinced it will win the League"

Six months of injury are not easily forgotten, and fear still sets in. Cicinho has recovered and is hoping to make a squad list as soon as possible; Vigo could mark his return. The Brazilian right back is confident, wants to triumph at Real Madrid, and is counting on a team that he says "is happy and convinced it will win the League."

You've been out for six months and now you may make the next squad list.

I've been waiting for six months, and hopefully I can make the list for Vigo. I am certain I am better than before. Nothing is bothering me. I was in pain for five minutes when I was injured on Betis' pitch, but then there was no pain, just sacrifice.

Have you spoken to Capello during these months?

I've spoken to the coach almost every day. He knows I'm still a little scared, but that goes away with time and the confidence returns. He encourages me to play like before, and to help the team in the hunt for the title. Capello always thinks about the team when he talks to me. He wanted me to focus on my treatment protocol and to take it easy.

Are you worried about not getting your spot back?

I am not scared because [Capello] has spoken with me and he is familiar with my style of football. I am only scared about my knee, but that's normal.

There's talk about bringing in Dani Alves.

I am Brazilian so I would love it if a fellow countryman came. He's a great player, and the best should play for the best Club, Real Madrid. I understand that whoever comes, whether it's Alves or someone else, they will do all they can to play. It's already a daily battle between the wingers.

Did you follow everything that was going on with the team when you were recovering?

I didn't watch much television. My family and I believed it was best to not think about football and to focus solely on my treatments. But I knew about a few things that were happening, although I didn't participate directly in anything. I was only thinking about getting better and recovering as soon as possible so that I could help the team.

How driven is the dressing room?

Very. A team like Madrid always has to think about winning titles. The desire to finish first is always there. Our hearts and minds are focused on the League, because we know we can win.

Capello may or may not return next season, so rumour has it.

We're working with Fabio now, and I think Capello is a great coach. I don't know anything about his future. I don't run the Club. I'm just a player and I want to work with whoever is in charge.

Have you been told about the Clubs that are interested in you? Do you see yourself leaving Madrid?

I haven't received any news. I know Roma and Liverpool have expressed interest, but Pedja told me that [Madrid] are very happy with me and that they don't want me to leave. If it was a good thing for Madrid and for myself... but I am only thinking about triumphing here.

Your thoughts on how Torres is playing.

Torres is very young, but he has showed how good he is and he is playing. He's got what it takes to be a great player produced by the youth system.

How do you find Emerson?

Emerson is a great player and he has accomplished a lot with the Brazilian national team. He's going through a bad patch, but I'm sure there will be no more talk of Emerson if we win the League. When you lose or things aren't going well, the new signings are the first to be questioned.

Is it possible to cut into the five-point lead?

We're five points off the leader and the other teams haven't been as consistent as they have wanted to be. We've played well in some games and didn't win them, but I do think we can catch up. The team is happy and convinced it will win the League.

Cicinho: Capello Has Eased My Fears

Cicinho has admitted that he must overcome his fears when he returns to playing for Real Madrid after recovering from a knee ligament injury.

The Brazilian full-back, whose full name is Cícero João de Cézare, suffered the blow in victory at Real Betis on September 23, but is now close to making his comeback.

To help him regain his confidence, Cicinho has revealed that coach Fabio Capello has been in constant contact to continue to reassure him that he is part of his plans.

"I've spoken to the coach almost every day," the former São Paulo player stated. "He knows I'm still a little scared, but that goes away with time and the confidence returns.

"He encourages me to play like before, and to help the team in the hunt for the title. Capello always thinks about the team when he talks to me. He wanted me to focus on my treatment protocol and to take it easy."

During his recuperation, Cicinho spent several weeks in Brazil where he only found out the basic details of his Madrid were playing this season.

Instead he was keen to concentrate on regaining his fitness without the distractions of watching every match.

"I didn't watch much television," he continued. "My family and I believed it was best to not think about football and to focus solely on my treatments.

"But I knew about a few things that were happening, although I didn't participate directly in anything.

"I was only thinking about getting better and recovering as soon as possible so that I could help the team.

During his absence with injury, several clubs were reported to have made contact with Madrid over Cicinho's availability, but he is only concerned with becoming a regular with the Spanish giants.

"I know Roma and Liverpool have expressed interest," he said. "But Pedja told me that they are very happy with me and that they don't want me to leave.

"I am only thinking about triumphing here."

Rumours also continue to surface linking Sevilla right-back Daniel Alves with a move to Madrid and Cicinho has claimed that he would welcome the added competition.

"I am Brazilian so I would love it if a fellow countryman came," the 26-year-old explained.

"He's a great player, and the best should play for the best Club, Real Madrid. I understand that whoever comes, whether it's Alves or someone else, they will do all they can to play."

Madrid lie five points behind the league's co-leaders, FC Barcelona and Sevilla, but Cicinho believes that if Capello's side could can put together a run of form they could take the title.

"We're five points off the leader and the other teams haven't been as consistent as they have wanted to be," he added.

"We've played well in some games and didn't win them, but I do think we can catch up. The team is happy and convinced it will win the League."

Celta vs. Real Madrid

GOALKEEPERS: Iker Casillas, Diego López & Kiko Casilla.

DEFENDERS: Michel Salgado, Iván Helguera, Mejía, Pavón, Marcelo, Cicinho, Torres & Ramos.

MIDFIELDERS: Emerson, Diarra, Guti, Gago, Robinho & Raúl.

FORWARDS: Van Nistelrooy, Cassano & Higuaín.