Bellazon

Cicinho
Thumbnail

Rani_7

Cicinho: Real Madrid Are Stronger Than Barcelona

Cicinho believes that Real Madrid are the favourites to win the Spanish league this season as they are strong than FC Barcelona.

The Brazilian full-back made his return to action last weekend in the victory at Athletic Bilbao after recovering from a knee ligament injury and is full of confidence.

Madrid are two points behind the leaders, but Cicinho thinks that Fabio Capello's team will soon overtake them and stay there until the end of the season.

"I think that we are the favourites," he stated.

"Before we moved to within two points of Barcelona we were eight points behind them and we said then that we had a chance to win the league.

"Many people did not believe us. Now we are one win awy from going top and when we do that we are not going to give it away and we will go to los Cibeles.

"We are stronger than Barcelona. They have a great , they are not suddenly going to forget how to play, but it is a phase that they are going through that also happened to us.

"It is a good moment and we have to take advantage of it."

Having suffered a knee injury on September 23 last year, Cicinho could not wait to start playing again and thought that Athletic would be the game in whcih he came back.

"I was anxious to be given a chance and I knew that it could be that game as Michel Salgado was injured, so I worked very hard," he explained.

"I knew that a chance was close and that I had to play well and help the team win."

Cicinho then revealed that there were times when playing again felt a very long way off during his recovery programme, but now he is back he actually feels fitter than he was before the knock.

"When I was in Brazil I worked in the gymnasium and when I came back here I did not feel like doing a heavy work-load and felt that the injury was not doing well," he said.

"Now though, I look at things very differently and know what has to be done on a daily basis to recover.

"I had a lot of pain after games before the injury, but I had none after the game in Bilbao."

Real Madrid face Sevilla this weekend and are unlikely to have David Beckham available after the yellow card he received in San Mamés earned him a suspension.

"It was unfair," Cicinho added. "But there is a chance that it will be taken away and he can play and we will just have to wait.

"But if not, then this squad has many players that are ready to come in and do what they can to help us win."

Real Madrid vs. Sevilla

KEEPERS: Casillas, Diego Lopez.

DEFENDERS: Ramos, Cicinho, Cannavaro, Helguera, Marcelo, Michel Salgado, Torres

MIDFIELDERS: Guti, Gago, Emerson, Diarra, Robinho, Raul, Reyes, Beckham.

STRIKERS: Higuain, Van Nistelrooy.

3 - Real Madrid: Casillas; Cicinho, Ramos, Cannavaro, Torres (Helguera, min.58); Diarra, Emerson, Beckham, Robinho; Raúl (Guti, min.58) and Van Nistelrooy.

2 - Sevilla: Palop; Dani Alves, Ocio, Escudé, Drago; Poulsen, Maresca, Renato (Níkel, min.63), Puerta; Kerzhakov (Chevanton, min. 72) and Kanouté.

Referee: Alfonso Pérez Burrull, Cantabrian refereeing Assocviation. Booked Miguel Torres (39'), Sergio Ramos (55'), and David Beckham (83') of Real Madrid, and Hinkel (66') and Chevanton (83') for Sevilla. Red carded Luis Fabiano on the sideline while he was warming up. He also sent Robinho, off after showing him the second yellow card for hugging the fans after scoring the 2-1 goal. Aitor Ocio was also sent off with a direct red card.

Goals:

0-1: (min.41): Maresca buries a volley in the back of the net.

1-1: (min.61) Amazing play by Guti and Van Nistelrooy puts it away.

2-1: (min.77) Once again, master assist of Guti for Robinho.

3-1: (min.86) Van Nistelrooy.

3-2: (min.90) Chevanton, from a free kick.

Highlights: Matchday 33 of La Liga hosted at a capacity Santiago Bernabéu stadium. Attendance: 80.000.

Real Madrid vs. Espanyol

Keepers: Casillas, Diego Lopez.

Defenders: Ramos, Cicinho, Cannavaro, Helguera, Marcelo, Michel Salgado, Mejia, Pavon, Roberto Carlos, Torres

Midfielders: Guti, Emerson, Diarra, Raul, Reyes.

Strikers: Higuain, Van Nistelrooy.

4. Real Madrid: Iker Casillas; Cicinho (Helguera, min.46), Sergio Ramos, Cannavaro, Roberto Carlos; Emerson, Diarra; Higuain, Guti (Reyes, min.46); Raul (Miguel Torres, min. 90) and Van Nistelrooy.

3. RCD Espanyol: Kameni; Velasco (Jarque, min. 75), Lacruz, Marc Torrejón, Chica; Angel, Costa; Rufete (Coro, min. 67), Jonatas, Moha; and Pandiani (Luis Garcia, min. 60).

Goals:

0-1. Min. 15. Pandiani finishes off a counterattack led by Rufete and Jonatas.

0-2. Min. 26. Pandiani, again, asisted by Rufete.

1-2. Min. 29. The Pichichi Van Nistelrooy strikes from inside the box.

1-3. Min. 34. Pandiani caps off his hat-trick.

2-3. Min. 48. Raul nutmegs Kameni.

3-3. Min. 57. Reyes nets the equaliser.

4-3. Min. 89. Higuain adds the finishing touch with his first goal at the Santiago Bernabue.

Referee: Undiano Mallenco. Booked Moha (52'), Chica (54'), Kameni (77'), Jonatas (81'), and Sergio Ramos (61').

Notes: Matchday 34 of the Spanish Primera Liga. Attendence: 78,000. Before the match, Real Madrid President of Honour Alfredo Di Stefano presented Cannavaro with last year's Balon d'Or and the FIFA World Player trophy.

Recreativo vs. Madrid

GOALKEEPERS: Casillas, Diego López & Casilla.

DEFENDERS: Ramos, Cicinho, Cannavaro, Helguera, Marcelo, Mejía, Roberto Carlos & Torres.

MIDFIELDERS: Guti, Gago, Diarra, Robinho, Beckham, Higuaín & Reyes.

FORWARDS: Raúl & Van Nistelrooy.