Bellazon

Cyberpunk 2077 (2020)

Cult Icon

2 hours ago, Enrico_sw said:

And they say it's 25 hours for the main quest + 25 hours of secondary: that's VERY low. Not just compared to the Witcher 3, but to pretty much to most AAA games. They did mess up.

COH's systematic playthrough is up to part 214 on "very hard" difficulty.  This is over 120 hours + .  He is approx. 95% done.  

For me Cyberpunk lacks the charm and quality of Witcher 3 although I admire many aspects of it, particularly its ambition and the map.  For me I've lost trust in CDPR after this fiasco.

On 1/16/2021 at 5:31 PM, Enrico_sw said:

That seems like a legit testimony. I feel bad for the developpers and for all the company, because I'm sure they're customer oriented. The higher-ups made a mess, they lied to cover their tracks, but I still don't consider them crooks like EA, Naughty dogs or Bethesda.

CDPR has denied this as fan-fiction via their twitter

On 1/20/2021 at 2:26 AM, Cult Icon said:

CDPR has denied this as fan-fiction via their twitter

Of course that's what they would say. That doesn't mean it's not a real testimony (nor does it prove it is). It's up for interpretation, but given all the details the guy gives I think it's true (though we'll never be able to be sure).

The patches show that the developpers needed at least a couple of months. Back in Summer 2020, I'm sure the management knew this. Of course there was the pressure from gamers and the investors to release it early, but if the management had been more rational/thoughtful, they would've delayed the old gen console versions and focused on the PC version (and maybe next gen). With the good feedbacks from PC gamers, then they would've released the old gen versions a couple of months later, just to make them cleaner.

When pressure is too high, some people can't manage it. That's too bad.

33 minutes ago, Enrico_sw said:

Of course that's what they would say. That doesn't mean it's not a real testimony (nor does it prove it is). It's up for interpretation, but given all the details the guy gives I think it's true (though we'll never be able to be sure).

I agree that they may be lying about it.  Whoever wrote it did a good job if it is fanfiction.

On 17/01/2021 at 7:21 PM, Enrico_sw said:

Yes, I guess so. I had huge hopes (and still have) that companies like CD projekt would push the market to level up. Somehow they did, with the Witcher 3.

The studio certainly entered the big leagues with Witcher 3, unfortunately Cyberpunk has proved that they're too big to be small and too small to be big. It's hard not to feel for some of the talented people behind the scenes who probably would have fought tooth and nail to get the game off the ground, only to have to watch as management overhyped it and promised things that there were simply no time or resources to implement.

There probably will come a point where the game is ironed out just enough to be a decent experience on PC and next gen consoles, but I think the interesting unknown in this is exactly what it's going to take to persuade Sony and Microsoft to relist it. Will they have demanded decent performance, or simply something that doesn't crash.

• 1 month later...

Head on over to the Cyberpunk subreddit if you want to read some hilarious conspiracy theories surrounding the patch delay, my favorite being that CDPR purposely faked the recent cyber attack in order to cover for not having it ready in time.

I must confess though, I'd feel a bit sorrier for the team if their marketing department hadn't just spent the last couple of years intentionally playing to the lowest common denominator.

27 minutes ago, Michael* said:

Head on over to the Cyberpunk subreddit if you want to read some hilarious conspiracy theories surrounding the patch delay, my favorite being that CDPR purposely faked the recent cyber attack in order to cover for not having it ready in time.

I feel bad for those rabid fans; they place so much faith on this troubled project. (and now this has turned into anger/hate)  They should just play the game with its flaws, finish the main story & side quests and get it over with.  Treat it like any other game and move on.

1 hour ago, Cult Icon said:

I feel bad for those rabid fans; they place so much faith on this troubled project. (and now this has turned into anger/hate)  They should just play the game with its flaws, finish the main story & side quests and get it over with.  Treat it like any other game and move on.

While obviously, it's considerably less marketable than telling people that it would be magically fixed inside a couple of months, I can't help thinking that they managed to create another rod for their own backs by committing to specific dates for the patches.

The best case scenario now is probably that there comes a point where it plays just well enough to be a decent experience. I'm just not certain that I'll be that fussed or have the time when they finally fix it.

9 minutes ago, Michael* said:

While obviously, it's considerably less marketable than telling people that it would be magically fixed inside a couple of months, I can't help thinking that they managed to create another rod for their own backs by committing to specific dates for the patches.

CD has to commit to the dates as they are being regulated now by the Polish government...!!  If they don't release the patches they get severe financial penalties.  It was something like 10% of their income for a certain period.

IMHO given how long it took them to develop the game and the large amount of what's missing, 1-2 years is at least what it'll take.

• 3 weeks later...

I still don't understand how the company that made the Witcher 3 (probably one of the best games of the decade - and in terms of storytelling, it's probably one of the best games ever made) could make so much mistakes :/