Bellazon

Cyberpunk 2077 (2020)

Cult Icon

4 hours ago, Michael* said:

Exactly, this thing has already sold millions of copies. Given that it's now been delisted from PlayStation Store, presumably as a partial consequence of CDPR basically telling people to go and ask Sony for a refund, my gut feeling is that we'll probably see the base console versions written off completely. Perhaps not immediately, but certainly at some point in the near future.

You'd like to think all the negative press would put other developers off releasing games in this kind of unfinished state, but if I know gamers, they'll probably do an about face when a trailer for Witcher 4 arrives.

It's a shame as this is a innovative title with enormous content.  COH's playthrough is now on 192.  If the project and investor relationships was managed more effectively they could've had the game out in a good state for both current and next gen- like two versions.  

23 minutes ago, Michael* said:

I must confess, most cosplay these days is a little too slick for my liking. I much preferred when it was low-budget and a bit ramshackle. :D

It's gotten out of hand, even the hot girls have gotten into  it. The most aggressive among them have Twitch/youtube channels and make a living! out of doing this. 

It is curious to me how hot girls, with all the distractions they get in life, end up get sucked into a "dork" hobby. 

lots of cyberpunk comics online now:

Trauma Team #4.  Trauma Team is one of the "cut content" of the game.  Originally they were supposed to play a larger role in the game and were even one of the factions that V could work with.  The med center is a large hospital complex in the game and so far I haven't seen a single side mission about it.

https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Cyberpunk-2077-Trauma-Team

https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Cyberpunk-2077-Big-City-Dreams

https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Cyberpunk-2077-Your-Voice

On 12/19/2020 at 2:45 PM, Cult Icon said:

It's a shame as this is a innovative title with enormous content.  COH's playthrough is now on 192.  If the project and investor relationships was managed more effectively they could've had the game out in a good state for both current and next gen- like two versions.  

Yeah, it sounds very much like less could've been more. Developers keep trying to release bigger and bigger games, but a lack of detail in a large world can all-too quickly become a detriment.

For what it's worth, I'm hoping for the best on next-gen systems. As strange as it feels to speculate on what it could end up being (CDPR could just as easily decide to pull the plug altogether), this is still a game of immense potential. 

21 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

Oof. :rofl:

That whole self-consciously edgy style of marketing has always been an instant eye-roller for me, what's weird though is that I don't even think it's worked all that well. Much has been made of how effective it was in targeting a certain type of gamer, but it also appears to have degraded the expectation that a lot of people would have had about Cyberpunk being a sophisticated prestige product, like Witcher 3.

13 minutes ago, Michael* said:

Yeah, it sounds very much like less could've been more. Developers keep trying to release bigger and bigger games, but a lack of detail in a large world can all-too quickly become a detriment.

For what it's worth, I'm hoping for the best on next-gen systems. As strange as it feels to speculate on what it could end up being (CDPR could just as easily decide to pull the plug altogether), this is still a game of immense potential. 

yea-

Up to part 203.  This game is about 70-80% through its development cycle in my estimation.  This means that they were banking on working on the game for at least a ridiculous 9-10 years before executives pulled the plug.  The map is (externally, not internally) about 95% complete with Pacifica being only half done.  Half of Pacifica is not accessible and this includes the sports stadium.  

I also believe that the main story has cut content right from the start with a montage replacing the "real" Act 1.  

I feel bad about this game, it could have been a world-beater if things were better managed.

4 hours ago, Michael* said:

Oof. :rofl:

That whole self-consciously edgy style of marketing has always been an instant eye-roller for me, what's weird though is that I don't even think it's worked all that well. Much has been made of how effective it was in targeting a certain type of gamer, but it also appears to have degraded the expectation that a lot of people would have had about Cyberpunk being a sophisticated prestige product, like Witcher 3.

What struck me about their twitter was the buddy-buddy- style (CDPR as the gamer's company), overall trollishness/wind-up and the cocksure arrogance when discussing the game's features.  Turns out there was less confidence over the state of the game than the twitter made itself to be.

There are a lot of different opinions on this game, and most of them are right, it is not possible to achieve the goals of each player. This is the way most of the games are done due to requirements on the marked and what a lager group of people want. General in my opinion this game is really nice, I played it recently. The same thing we can say about multiplayer games (like Rocket League) there are a lot of bags, that course discomfort, for now was to make a new feature, and it is possible to buy rocket league items, and there are a lot of people that love it. There was a lot of situation when I was just disconnecting from game, and in some hours I was playing again

13 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

What struck me about their twitter was the buddy-buddy- style (CDPR as the gamer's company), overall trollishness/wind-up and the cocksure arrogance when discussing the game's features.  Turns out there was less confidence over the state of the game than the twitter made itself to be.

For sure, the Twitter feed in particular seemed to spend a very long time playing to the lowest common denominator. I've heard that the content of the story is actually far more introspective, but it was pretty clear what CDPR wanted its fans to think the game would be, and I always feel that can come back to bite you. When you're equipped with such a uniquely cult-like following, you cross them at your peril.

1 hour ago, Michael* said:

For sure, the Twitter feed in particular seemed to spend a very long time playing to the lowest common denominator. I've heard that the content of the story is actually far more introspective, but it was pretty clear what CDPR wanted its fans to think the game would be, and I always feel that can come back to bite you. When you're equipped with such a uniquely cult-like following, you cross them at your peril.

I can kind of understand this to a limited extent as to me, Witcher 3 is the greatest game ever made so naturally I had high expectations for their next project.  Of course the marketing focused on the action and edginess.  The overwhelming majority of the game's content are side quests, many of them Witcher-style in execution. (focusing on clever scenarios and interesting/memorable dialogue)

There are class action lawsuits building up against CDPR for fraud right now...

https://www.google.com/search?q=cdpr+lawsuit&oq=cdpr+law&aqs=chrome.0.0i324i457j69i57j0i324j0i10j0j0i10l2j69i60.2339j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

All of this reminds me of an eternal truth, even taught two thousand years ago- fame, reputation, and goodwill are brittle & not anything like it's cracked up to be.  The "public" loves you as long as you slave away tirelessly and give them what they want.  As soon as you fail them they turn on you.

On 12/21/2020 at 2:27 PM, Cult Icon said:

There are class action lawsuits building up against CDPR for fraud right now.

Honestly, I fear this will all end up being pushed onto the developers somehow, when the blame rests entirely with CDPR'S management.

Hopefully though, it serves as a warning to other companies about what not to do when releasing a major title. The "release now, fix later" mentality really has become a blight on the industry, it needs to be addressed and that may only happen by making an example out of a high profile game.