Bellazon

Very thin Models not accepted in Madrid

rouge red

i just found an article on ntv.de, not sure if something like that exists in English too, though. So I'll try to translate it, sorry if it's bad.

And just to mention it: I think it's a very, very good idea :yes:

Catwalk ban in Madrid

-Models too skinny.

Skinny models aren't allowed to take part at the fashion week "Pasarela Cibeles" in Madrid in the future. About a third of all the applicants for the this year's international fashion week were declined by the organizers because of underweight, reported the spanish press at Friday. Only models who are healthy and not skinny looking are allowed to walk on the runway at the scene-show. With a height of 1.75m a model has to weigh about 56kg. The fashion show begins at 18th September in the Spanish capital.

Background of this ban is an commendation of the Spanish parliament from 1999 and long during protests from the consumer protection. The picture of skinny models could boost the diseases anorexia and bulimia. A wrong ideal, the politicians are warning again and again. The organizers of "Pasarela Cibeles" react as the first fshion show to this commendation

Deciding is the "Body-Ma

thx for the clear translation ! but anyways i much as i love spain... no one really cares about spanish fashion week and apparently the ban only stands for one particular show... i'm sure the skinny models have some beautiful days ahead in new york, milan and paris :shifty:

you are welcome ;)

:p

But i'm very fond of the idea and hope it'll bring at least a little bit more weight into the business. cause please - most models ARE to skinny, and if the designers would take more care it would lower maybe the anorexia & bulimia quote...

It's just a little drop on the hot stone ;)

you are welcome ;)

:p

But i'm very fond of the idea and hope it'll bring at least a little bit more weight into the business. cause please - most models ARE to skinny, and if the designers would take more care it would lower maybe the anorexia & bulimia quote...

It's just a little drop on the hot stone ;)

i agree with u .. i read it today .. here is

Spanish fashion show rejects models deemed too skinny

Madrid, Sept. 9 (AP): Spain's top fashion show has turned away models because they are too thin. Organizers of the pageant, known as the Pasarela Cibeles, used a mathematical formula to calculate the models' body mass index - a measure of their weight in relation to their height and 30 percent of the women flunked, said the Association of Fashion Designers of Spain.

The decision was made as part of a voluntary agreement with the Madrid regional government, Jesus del Pozo, a designer who is part of the association, said on Thursday. The show runs from Sept 18-22.

The association said in a statement it wanted models to project "an image of beauty and health" and shun a gaunt, emaciated look. Last year's edition of the show, also called Madrid Fashion Week, drew protests from medical associations and women's advocacy groups because some of the models were positively bone-thin.

This time the Madrid regional government decided to intervene and pressure organizers to hire fuller-figured women as role models for young girls obsessed with being thin and prone to starving themselves into sickness, said Concha Guerra, deputy finance minister of the regional administration.

Brown of the Elite agency said fashion shows are basically slaves to clothing designers, who for now prefer the Kate Moss look as opposed to the curvier dimensions of models like Cindy Crawford a few years ago. "They don't want voluptuous girls any more," he said.