Bellazon

Nightmare Fuel: The Thread

Cult Icon

I love the concept of a Vikings game- raiding churches, attacking settlements, building settlements, sailing, etc

But there's something about this game that I don't like.  I think it's the ugly art direction, sub par characters/voice acting and the dodgy animations/swordfighting gameplay.  Looks dated even though the world building is very detailed.  The color palette is also has an unnatural feel to it. And the people in this game are just so..ugly?

The game looks like it has nothing to do with Assassin's Creed!

11 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

Ghost of T reviews and walkthroughs are coming up,  it sounds like it's going to be game of the year so far

Certainly looks beautiful, not sure how big audiences feel about the samurai theme, but I think it's cool. The gameplay looks solid as well. I think TLOU2 already won the GOTY award..

10 hours ago, Matt! said:

Certainly looks beautiful, not sure how big audiences feel about the samurai theme, but I think it's cool. The gameplay looks solid as well. I think TLOU2 already won the GOTY award..

I meant actual game of the year :D, not that defined by games journalists.  Cyberpunk is coming in Nov, that's the last big release.

I wonder how Mongolians feel about their soldiers being displayed as push overs.  The Mongolian troopers were probably the best soldiers in world history.

2 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

I meant actual game of the year :D, not that defined by games journalists.  Cyberpunk is coming in Nov, that's the last big release.

Oh :D Yeah..until it gets postponed again..:D

2 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

I wonder how Mongolians feel about their soldiers being displayed as push overs.  The Mongolian troopers were probably the best soldiers in world history.

They will ban the game in China? :D

8 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

why do you say that?

Because of the current trade/cold war situation. Small detail like that could possible do it... maybe they will claim that the Mongolians were chinese or something absurd like that :idk:

So far the only questionable thing I see with the game is the glaring issue of swordfighting gameplay- they chose the path of more cinematic (low HP) over spongy enemies.    So this makes the fighting quite brief.  In order to make the rest of the game playable they seemed to have made the normal mode of the game too easy.  On normal mode the mongols fall in about 2-4 strikes and the player's character is far superior to them in speed and skill.  The mongol AI tends to swarm the player like in RDRD2 and then proceed to engage him one at a time. 

IMHO they didn't need to go this route, more spongy and more skillful enemies make the action more entertaining- the novelty of the katana & Japanese sword arts being some sort of superweapon wears off quick.

Hard is the only way to play/watch the game but even "hard" doesn't seem very hard at all.  More like normal or even easy in other swordfighting games.