Bellazon

Marvel's Luke Cage

Michael*

3020435-12.jpg

Marvel's Luke Cage
Release Date: September 30, 2016

Marvel's Luke Cage is an upcoming American web television series developed for Netflix by Cheo Hodari Coker, based on the Marvel Comics character of the same name. It is set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU), sharing continuity with the films of the franchise and is the third in a series of shows that will lead up to a Defenders crossover miniseries.

Mike Colter stars as Luke Cage, a former convict with superhuman strength and unbreakable skin who now fights crime. Mahershala Ali, Alfre Woodard, Simone Missick, Theo Rossi, Frank Whaley, and Sônia Braga also star. Development of the series began in late 2013. In December 2014, Colter was cast as Cage, to appear first in a recurring role in Marvel's Jessica Jones, with Coker hired as the showrunner in March 2015. Filming began in New York City in September 2015 and concluded in March 2016.

Synopsis
After a sabotaged experiment leaves him with super strength and unbreakable skin, Luke Cage becomes a fugitive who attempts to rebuild his life in modern day Harlem, New York City. But soon he is pulled out of the shadows and must fight a battle for the heart of his city, forcing him to confront a past he had tried to bury.

Cast

Mike Colter - Luke Cage

Mahershala Ali - Cornell Stokes

Frankie Faison - Pop

Erik LaRay Harvey - Diamondback

Darius Kaleb - Lonnie

Simone Missick - Misty Knight

Theo Rossi - Alvarez

Frank Whaley - Detective Scarfe

Kellen C Wingate - Detective

Alfre Woodard - Mariah Dillard

Jaiden Kaine - Zip

Rosario Dawson - Claire Temple

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/10/2016 at 1:38 AM, Maggiemay said:

I'm so excited! I didn't like JJ but LOVED Luke so I hope the series is really good <3

You weren't keen on Jessica? For me, that series might just have the edge over the first season of Daredevil, although they were very different and probably equally good in their own ways.

I will admit to having been a little hesitant after the first teaser, but now, having seen the full-length trailer, I'm sold. Still, you'd think by now, the bad guys would have figured out never to try and fight these people in hallways. :laugh:

Not at all! I mean I don't hate it and I think the cast was amazing and the story was good, we just didn't click, you know? On the other hand I love DD, I'm crazy for DD.

I was sold before the trailers, I was really excited to meet Luke's backstory and everything 

HAHAHA But the hallways scenes are so good, please never learn! I just love those scenes. 

On 8/11/2016 at 8:33 PM, Maggiemay said:

Not at all! I mean I don't hate it and I think the cast was amazing and the story was good, we just didn't click, you know? On the other hand I love DD, I'm crazy for DD.

I was sold before the trailers, I was really excited to meet Luke's backstory and everything 

HAHAHA But the hallways scenes are so good, please never learn! I just love those scenes. 

Whatever Marvel do, as long as it's handled well, I'll be the first in line to gawk at. :rofl:

I really hope Luke Cage is its own thing, though. All the Marvel/Netflix stuff has been set in Hell's Kitchen so far, and this takes place in Harlem. Hopefully that'll mix things up a bit and give it a different feel. Looking forward to seeing more. :hehe:

• 3 weeks later...

@Cult Icon @Maggiemay

I'm three episodes in at the moment. It's been enjoyable so far, although the show has yet to grip me quite as much as Daredevil and Jessica Jones did.

In terms of the villains, I always find that Marvel's Netflix stuff has the edge over the films. I legitimately can't wait for them to get their comeuppance in this, something I rarely feel when watching the MCU movies. As entertaining as characters like Loki or Ultron can be, they're quite often portrayed more as fun rogues than genuine bad guys. :yes:

^ I'm feeling the same way- just finished episode 5 tonight. I think the show is really well done so far, but it hasn't been a "binge" show for me. Jessica Jones and Daredevil I was cramming the whole series into one weekend, but with Luke Cage it's more of a "sit back and relax" slow burn to me. 

Claire just showed up so I'm happy to see more of her! 

On ‎04‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 5:30 AM, toodarnhot said:

I'm feeling the same way- just finished episode 5 tonight. I think the show is really well done so far, but it hasn't been a "binge" show for me. Jessica Jones and Daredevil I was cramming the whole series into one weekend, but with Luke Cage it's more of a "sit back and relax" slow burn to me. 

Claire just showed up so I'm happy to see more of her! 

I need to finish the seventh episode later today. It still doesn't quite have that 'just one more, just one more, oh crap it's four in the morning' factor for me, although I suppose that's a pretty rare thing anyway. Overall though, no major complaints so far, I've actually grown to like Cage more than Murdock as the hero.

Before The Defenders arrives, I'd love for Netflix to do a quick Claire spinoff. She's such a great character. :hehe:

Finished it last night. Another good series, although I still wouldn't quite put it up there with Daredevil or Jessica.

We already knew Mike Colter would be excellent as Cage. A lot of fans online have been raving about Cottonmouth, who I did like, but I must admit, I slightly preferred Diamondback's performance. His voice was something else, and he had a real knack for mixing funny with menacing, but never in a way that felt forced.

Surprising not to catch any references to Iron Fist though, I was waiting for one the whole time. :laugh:

• 1 month later...

So glad to have found topics like this ! Amazing series, really started out with a bang but kind of drug along those middle episodes. But given the original story they did so well with it all. Really looking forward to Iron Fist and how it all ties together. Agreed it is not up there on Daredevil level, but still glad they are making them ! 

With all of the great lore and characters I am surprised that so many lesser known people were chosen, but I suppose with other companies owning so many rights to film and tv that Marvel is really developing much more of their lesser known brand ( outside of hard core comic collectors )

18 hours ago, Theoddportrait said:

So glad to have found topics like this ! Amazing series, really started out with a bang but kind of drug along those middle episodes. But given the original story they did so well with it all. Really looking forward to Iron Fist and how it all ties together. Agreed it is not up there on Daredevil level, but still glad they are making them !

Did you catch that scene with the poster stuck on a lamp post advertising a martial arts class? I noticed that the camera lingered on that a little, and after a bit of scouting around online, I found out that the teacher mentioned on the poster and Misty Knight are strongly connected. A possible tie-in to Iron Fist there. :hehe:

So, how would you rate Jessica Jones? :smile:

• 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...

So, a lot of the fans were put out when it was announced over the weekend that Cage won't be returning for a third season, and mildly accepting after the same thing happened with Iron Fist a few days beforehand. :laugh:

It's going to leave a lot of the characters and supporting casts in limbo, that's for sure. Would a Heroes for Hire and Daughters of the Dragon crossover be too much to ask? Cage and Rand had pretty decent chemistry in S2 of Iron Fist.