Bellazon

Gigi Hadid
Thumbnail

sarnic

Gigi Hadid on Tom Ford, Chanel and the best and worst things about being a model

But really, even the bad is good.

Model, occasional horse rider, Real Housewives of Beverly Hills daughter, Cody Simpson ex and to over one million people, a constant on Instagram, Gigi Hadid is more than the sum of her parts. The 19-year-old has a following of the same ilk as Kendall and Kylie Jenner (who also happen to be her best friends) and, like the former, is courting the fashion world one major designer at a time. In Australia to attend the Emirates marquee at the Melbourne Cup, Hadid spoke to Vogueabout her spur-of-the-moment schedule and what it’s really like backstage at a Chanel show. 

What was your favourite moment of the Melbourne Cup?

“Seeing the fashion side of it was really cool. It’s really unique, unlike anything else, and it was quite entertaining!”

How did you go about putting your outfit together for the day?

“I worked with a great stylist, Trevor Stones, and he had put together something that I really liked. My biggest thing was that I didn’t want to dress too old and I wanted to make sure I was comfortable. Alex Perry made me a custom dress for the event and then we found some accessories that worked with it. It was really fun.”

You’re a horse rider yourself. Would you ever return to the sport?

“My trainer is still a close friend of mine and I ride her horses whenever I’m back home. I’m not competing anymore but I’ll try to do a charity event or something when I can.”

You’ve been modelling since you were a toddler. What have you learnt about the profession so far?

“I don’t really remember it when I was younger. When you’re two, three, four years old, it’s not really modelling. You run around and they give you toys in a fun place and they take pictures of you playing. When I think about my modelling career, I’d say that I’ve only been full time for a year and a half now really. I think the biggest thing that I’ve learnt is to how to be successful in terms of work ethic and how to be on set.” 

What are the best and worst things about being a model?

“I’d say the best thing is the travel and being able to meet a lot of great amazing talented people. It also opens so many doors to other industries. Fashion is really a place where every other industry connects, whether it’s music or acting. At the end of the day, everyone is going to walk the red carpet and be interested in the fashion side of it. I think that’s really cool because as a model you get to connect with a lot of different worlds. The negative is that I can never make plans until like a week or two in advance because everything happens very last minute. It’s a wait and rush thing. I couldn’t tell you what I’m doing for Christmas, or even Thanksgiving [editor’s note: it’s on November 27].”

Who do you count as your friends in the fashion industry?

“I’m really lucky to have a lot of friends in fashion. I don’t know if that’s common but I just get along with a lot of people. My really close friends are Ireland Baldwin, Kendall Jenner, Lily Aldridge and Devon Windsor.”

Have they given you any advice about modelling?

“It’s really cool that we get to experience a lot of it together because we are all around the same age. Lily has given me the most advice just because she’s older and has been there for so long. But more than giving me advice, she leads by example really well. You know, despite her success she remains so down to earth and is genuinely one of the nicest people that I’ve ever met. She is like that with everyone that she works with. I really love Lily a lot.”

Would you audition for Victoria’s Secret?

“It’s obviously a team that I’d like to work with. I think it will happen at the right time.”

You were in Tom Ford’s autumn/winter ‘14/’15 campaign and Velvet Orchid fragrance campaign. What is it like to work with him? 

“I think what’s really great about Tom is that he is the head of a household name, a huge company, but he is still so hands on. He is at every shoot and makes every little decision just as much as he makes the big ones. That’s really cool, you know, because that almost never happens.”

Which fashion show has been your favourite to walk in?

“My favourite show would be Chanel this past season in Paris. It was surreal, absolutely beautiful and really well organised behind the scenes. It’s nice as a model to arrive somewhere and feel like you can just enjoy yourself and take in the moment. It was a no-stress zone, which was cool.” 

vogue.com.au