Bellazon

Mel Gibson's career, RIP

Rhett

... I think most people are smart enough...

Yeah right! Most people aren't smart enough to do anything on their own. Most people purchase their crap from the #1 importer from a Communist country, most people voted "the soul patrol" as the American Idol. sheeesh, most people suck. :laugh:

SS...Do I really have to explain to you why the Dixie Chicks are viwed as "doing something wrong"?

I believe one of them said that she was ashamed to be from the same state as president Bush. :idk:

I hear artists say far worse things about our leaders over here and it leads to absolutely nothing resembling the backlash they received (up to the point of death threaths).

Every person has the right to disagree with his head of state and express his disagreement and frustration. Or at least, that's the way it's suppose to work. The systematic attacks they received served more as an example to make sure that no other artists would use their freedom of speech in a way that was critical for Bush.

The whole "the timing was bad" excuse is a bunch of nonsense. Every time is a good time to voice your opinion, in public or in private.

... I think most people are smart enough...

Yeah right! Most people aren't smart enough to do anything on their own. Most people purchase their crap from the #1 importer from a Communist country, most people voted "the soul patrol" as the American Idol. sheeesh, most people suck. :laugh:

SS...Do I really have to explain to you why the Dixie Chicks are viwed as "doing something wrong"?

I believe one of them said that she was ashamed to be from the same state as president Bush. :idk:

I hear artists say far worse things about our leaders over here and it leads to absolutely nothing resembling the backlash they received (up to the point of death threaths).

Every person has the right to disagree with his head of state and express his disagreement and frustration. Or at least, that's the way it's suppose to work. The systematic attacks they received served more as an example to make sure that no other artists would use their freedom of speech in a way that was critical for Bush.

The whole "the timing was bad" excuse is a bunch of nonsense. Every time is a good time to voice your opinion, in public or in private.

The official report says...Natalie Maines told a London audience "Just so you know, we're ashamed the president of the United States is from Texas."

It wasn't the fact that they disagreed or don't like the president, it's the fact that they are celebrities that went to a foreign country and spoke out rudely. Their fan base was largely pro Bush so it was a betrayal of sorts. Speaking out here in the US is expected, but the fans felt betrayed by her remarks since she went to England to say them.

Of course, this is no excuse for death threats, but people are free to react in protest if they want. DCs are protesting Bush so the fans decided to protest them. Pretty simple...not at all a case of restricting freedom of speech. Are they restricted from saying things like that again? No. Will it have consequenses, probably. But we all live under this sort of "speech filtering requirement". I mean, should I say that my 2nd amendment rights to freedom of speech are violated because I can't go up to my boss and call him a fucking asshole? No. Because I do have that right...I would just have to live with the consequences. :o

• 4 weeks later...

It's not going to keep me from enjoying good movies because there are some actors that I don't like but I like the movies they are in, we are the Human race, that's everyone no matter what religion, color, or country of origin we need to get over it and do one of the main reasons why we are here to learn from each other and get over our differences.