Thumbnail

modelknowledge

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

For Love And Lemons

Travel Diaries: Solange in Bali, Indonesia

August 08, 2016

If we're being honest, we can't help but envision For Love & Lemons designs on adventurous, confident, and curious babes who seem to always be seeking new things to do and places to see. “Travel Diaries" follows girls on their trips around the world, all the while capturing their favorite moments and getting their unadulterated travel advice. It's our hope that "Travel Diaries" inspires you to take some much needed PTO, or at the very least have you reminiscing about your most cherished travel memories. 

This week we followed exotic beauty Solange Smith and her photographer friend, Kal Reston, to the beautiful beaches of Bali, Indonesia. Living vicariously through this jetsetting duo on their trip through Uluwatu, Canggy, Ubud and Semiyak will cure any case of the Mondays as it’ll have you daydreaming about relaxing pool-side vacations and all-day sunbathing at the beach. Read their full story to hear about the Bali hotspots they visited, the restaurants they recommend and the Indonesian phrase they couldn’t do without! 

Where are you taking us?

SOLANGE: Throughout Bali - Ulawattu, Canggu, Ubud, Semiyak

What made you want to go (or go back) to Bali? 

SOLANGE: I had always wanted to go to Bali so I feel so lucky work could take me there and my awesome friend Kal was going to be there at the same time so it was perfect! 
KAL: I have been there three times before because I used to come for family vacations so I came back because I love the amazing beaches, the surf and let's not forget the massages!

One thing you both cannot travel without?

SOLANGE AND KAL: Our cameras

What was the best restaurant or favorite meal you ate during your trip?

SOLANGE: Breakfast on the rice fields in a restaurant called Nook, I have never experienced anything like it.
KAL: I had an amazing night at Motel Mexicola just the atmosphere and experience made it.

What is a "can't miss" destination on the trip? 

SOLANGE: The monkey forest in Ubud. A monkey sat on my shoulder and it was incredible until it peed on me but that was pretty funny!
KAL: The private beaches around at Ulawattu & Karma Beach

One new native language phrase you learned was: 

KAL AND SOLANGE: Makan, which means "to eat" - that's wall we needed to know!

What advice would you give a friend who is going to do your same trip?

SOLANGE: Enjoy and make sure not to get into fake taxis!
KAL: Kick back and relax!! 

One thing you with NOT miss about Bali?

SOLANGE AND KAL: The hustlers

If you could wear one outfit the entire trip, it'd be:

SOLANGE: The Angelina mini dress, it's so comfortable and beautiful.

Did you stay at a hotel, Airbnb, friend's house, or hostel?

SOLANGE AND KAL: Because of work we were placed in two different Airbnbs, The Colony Hotel and the Ungasan Clifftop Resort - they were all stunning!

Our main mode of transportation in Bali:

KAL AND SOLANGE: Was by foot. 

Your most unforgettable moment?

SOLANGE: Sitting down on the warm sand with a bottle of wine.
KAL: Two words ... BALI BELLY ... game over, man, game over.

IMG_1865.JPGIMG_1866.JPGIMG_1867.JPGIMG_1868.JPGIMG_1869.JPGIMG_1870.JPGIMG_1871.JPGIMG_1872.JPGIMG_1873.JPGIMG_1874.JPGIMG_1875.JPGIMG_1876.JPGIMG_1877.JPG

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Harpers Bazaar .com

Haute Couture IRL

IMG_5532.thumb.JPG.124c3bedc3848d994a06afa86359a084.JPG

CAN YOU WEAR HAUTE COUTURE IN REAL LIFE?

We put the question we've been pondering for decades to the test in Paris.

Aug 7, 2017

Ready-to-wear showings in New York, London, Milan and Paris–and the newer fashion hubs like Tbilisi, Berlin, Kiev, Sydney, Seoul, Tokyo, Stockholm and Copenhagen–all lead up to Haute Couture in Paris come January and July, when the world's most avant garde, outside-the-box confections and concepts walk a select few designers' catwalks. But you know all about this, and you await it with breath just as bated as we do–because Couture is the gold standard that graces the red carpet, a select few It-girl aisles and other than that, where it's worn remains a mystery...until now.

During Fall 2017 Haute Couture, we headed to Paris to debunk the query Couture has often left us pondering. Can these pom-pom adorned, oversized, tiered and embellished creations be worn in real life? After seasons of street style and many age-old discussions regarding fashion's place in the art world and whether wearability naturally makes a garment utilitarian rather than a collector's item, we decided to put one of the season's most jaw-dropping creations to the test.

Enter Giambattista Valli's string of finale ball gowns for his latest Haute Couture presentation, each one grander and more pleated, tiered and saccharine pink than the next. Red carpet superstars like Rihanna and Kendall Jenner have worn altered versions of these looks in real life–with an array of handlers, stylists and seamstresses on hand to help them make it to the end of a long carpet without taking a tumble and adjustments made to ensure the perfect fit. Instead, we gave up-and-coming face Solange Smithone of the designer's most inventive and challenging silhouettes as her OOTD, and challenged her to wear Couture IRL. Here, what 24 hours looks like when Couture takes the streets.

8:30a.m. After a restful night's sleep in a suite at the Plaza Athenée, it's time to start the day. A statement look requires minimal makeup and easy hair. Delicate earrings and an ear cuff add some edge to the pomp and circumstance of a ballgown.

9a.m. Slip into something less comfortable–like a pair of Alexandre Birman velvet stilettos and a pleated tulle, pop-pink, high-low ball gown.

IMG_5533.thumb.JPG.edf8a0e09c5bfae32c6b9b7dc1558293.JPG

After touch-ups, head out for the day. Getting into cars is cumbersome, so it's best to take the metro. Upon exiting the metro, aside from trying to get your bearings, strike a pose–you're in Couture after all.

IMG_5534.thumb.JPG.2df16b0c85f1c8849008bb2f18db795a.JPG

Head to Le Marais for people watching and a late morning coffee; be sure to grab a seat on the outskirts of any outdoor seating area to avoid onlookers, bystanders and fellow coffee sippers stepping on your train. Strangers who don't give you enough space to exist when you're sporting a cathedral length gown are the worst.

couture-irl-111-30-1501791982.jpg?crop=1

A pang of hunger on the horizon and an empty fridge call for a trip to Le Grande Epicerie, where you can sneak a cherry tomato and a berry or two in the produce section and stock up on gourmet goodies, indulge in a pastry and grab the essentials. The best part? The aisles here are luxuriously wide enough for the breadth of your full skirt.

1p.m. After a quick bite, browse the floors at Le Bon Marché–start in the beauty department and work your way up. Rather than simply browsing, challenge yourself to find the look that rivals your OOTD.

IMG_5535.thumb.JPG.af269c0db048b5cccc6d0f9db7ce064a.JPG

Yoga or Pilates seem impossible in your current ensemble, and your train would likely get caught on any and all equipment. Taking a brisk walk and breaking into a run for a bit of cardio is your best bet.

IMG_5536.thumb.JPG.ff484fc0d218ced1f298a8474ead3108.JPG

Take a load off, you've been running around all day...in an 8-foot train.

6:30p.m. Once you walk through the door and shed your tiers of tulle, relax, order room service for dinner and plan to turn in early. After all, sporting Couture on the daily requires ample amounts of beauty sleep.

Stylist Carrie Goldberg; Director of Photography Robert Dumé; Photography by Tyler Joe; Market Editor Tennille Yamashita; Makeup by Moani Lee for The Beauty Exchange NYC; Hair by Jenna Rosenstein; Casting by Muzam Productions; Model Solange Smith for The Face Paris wearing Giambattista Valli gown, Alexandre Birman shoes, Colette earrings and Ana Khouri ear cuff. Special Thanks to Le Bon Marché, Le Grande Epicerie, Chez Janou and Hotel Plaza Athenée.

http://www.harpersbazaar.com/fashion/street-style/a10399238/haute-couture-in-real-life/

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...