Frederique Van der Wal
Thumbnail

Upi

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/3/2021 at 6:25 AM, Jim T said:

Frederique van der Wal was Victoria's Secret second "top model" signing (Jill Goodacre was the first, and Stephanie Seymour was the third).

To me, Frederique was one of the most-puzzling omission from Sports Illustrated swimsuit issues.  She certainly had one of the 1980s most-notable (naturally-voluptuous) swimsuit figures, and VS had not yet added swimsuits to their product line.

"Puzzling "is one word for it.  "Infuriating" is another!  That naturally voluptuous figure would have made her the perfect bridge between the core sports-fan readership  of SI and the more refined tastes of fashion fans.

Most of my other VS favs did make to SI: Daniela, Rebecca, Yasmeen, etc.  Some other less orthodox choices I would have loved to see in SI include Jill Goodacre and Heather Stewart-Whyte.  But Frederique would have been the queen.  Alas! 

That's interesting information about VS signing Jill, Frederique, and Stephanie, in that order.  They clearly wanted to upscale their brand, and they made three strong moves in the right direction!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...