Bellazon

2014 SI Swimsuit

slowen

lazy sunday...spent some time thinking about what more legit odds might look like after that ny daily news article

for the cover, i think there's about a small chance of it being a group cover.  if it's not a group, though, here are my odds for solo cover girls:

kate upton 2:1
emily ratajkowski 2:1
nina agdal 6:1
hannah davis 12:1
other (veteran) 15:1
other (rookie) 20:1

the inset will likely feature either kate or emily, whichever one doesn't get the cover.  both girls are such huge selling points that it seems it's inevitable they'll both get some recognition on the cover.

would be curious to see what odds others would set. 

NYDailyNews 09.02.14

Chrissy Teigen leads the field of models to grace the cover of Sports Illustrated's 50th Swimsuit Issue

Strong contenders vying for the coveted spot are Emily Ratajkowski, Nina Agdal, Hannah Davis, Anne V, Ariel Meredith, Genevieve Morton, Alyssa Miller and reigning cover girl Kate Upton.    http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/chrissy-teigen-swimsuit-issue-cover-contenders-article-1.1606470

Does Emrata really have a chance at the cover, as a rookie, especially for the 50th issue? I would think Nina would definitely have the edge over her, at least. If Anne V got the cover I would be thrilled.

But my money is on Kate. 

If your name is not Kate Upton your chances of a cover this year are from little to none.

If they pull a multi girl cover i think it's more likely to be Kate + former cover girls than Kate + relative unknown models because let's face it no one gives a shit about the rest of the current SI girls. And this is coming from someone who is a huge fan of a lot of the girls.

obviously kate is the most popular veteran.  after her, though, the other veterans are relatively unknown, and some rookies are even more popular than them.  for instance, emrata is already more popular than nina or anne v, which is why i think she has a shot.  the incremental value of a 3rd cover for kate is likely lower than that of a 2nd cover, so i'm not sure there's really much value in a three-peat.  emily was shooting with walter iooss, so i think there's plenty of chance walter can come up with a cover-worthy shot.

YcEprSF.png

not counting beyonce, it's been 16 years since a new girl got the cover: heidi klum in 1998.  before her, valeria mazza, daniela pestova, and judit masco got (or shared) the cover in their first years. 

judit's came after kathy ireland's huge 25th anniversary issue.  daniela's came after the 'dream team' cover with elle, rachel, and kathy.  and for what it's worth, beyonce's came after the other group shot in 2006.  it's kind of a pattern.

now that SI has gone through a huge dose of retromania with a coffee table book and a primetime TV special, i'm thinking they'll do what they've always done and turn to a new girl to grace the cover.

NYDailyNews 09.02.14

Chrissy Teigen leads the field of models to grace the cover of Sports Illustrated's 50th Swimsuit Issue

Strong contenders vying for the coveted spot are Emily Ratajkowski, Nina Agdal, Hannah Davis, Anne V, Ariel Meredith, Genevieve Morton, Alyssa Miller and reigning cover girl Kate Upton.    http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/chrissy-teigen-swimsuit-issue-cover-contenders-article-1.1606470

normally you have a stand out favourite in previous years i could call who would get the cover based on media exposure and dating a athlete or actor but other than Kate it's wide open.

i think it's time a rookie got the cover again, they made such a big deal about it at the awards too.

what other rookies are we still expecting?

Valerie Van Der Graff (shown already in tv show's sneak peaks)

Cris Urena

Samantha Hoopes

who else?  that only gets us halfway through the week! there are at least 5 more--not sure if they'll reveal one on the 17th.

though i didn't spot them in the twitter previews, i'm still holding out for violet budd and/or nicoleta vaculov