Bellazon

Rate your Superhero/Comic book Movies

Cult Icon

Since my favorite superhero trilogy has ended, I thought about all the superhero films I've seen:

Out of 5 :) Clearly, there are two standouts ;)

Batman Begins- 4.5

The Dark Knight- 4.5

The Dark Knight Rises-3.5

History of Violence-3.5

​Road to Perdition- 3.5

Blade- 3.5

The Mask- 3.5

Unbreakable-3

The Avengers-3

Sin City- 3

Blade 2- 3

Iron Man-2.5

Punisher War Zone- 2.5

Watchmen-2.5

Men in Black- 2.5

30 days of night- 2.5

Spiderman- 2.5

Spiderman 2- 2.5

300- 2

X-Men Origins: Wolverine- 1.5

Blade Trinity- 1.5

I've seen more, but not the entire film so I can't rate it.

Here are Wiki lists of superhero movies:

http://en.wikipedia....language_comics

http://en.wikipedia....superhero_films

I just like to rate my favourite superheros of the really few films I've ever watched,so sorry for so short list,

X-men,x2,x-men3,the last stand,5.5(I was amazed by the amount of brilliance there)

another one/not my hero

The Mask.3.5

Avengers-4

Batman(1989)-3.5

Batman Returns-4

Batman Begins- 3

The Dark Knight- 4

The Dark Knight Rises-4.5

Captain America-5

The Crow-3

​Road to Perdition- 5 ( I didn't know this was from a comic book) :blush:

GhostRider-2

Green Lantern-2.5

Hulk-2.5

Incredible Hulk-3

Iron Man-2.5

Iron Man 2- 1.5

Kick-Ass-2.5

League of Extraordianry Gentlemen-3

The Mask of Zorro-5

Legend of Zorro-3

Spiderman- 2

Spiderman 2- 2

Superman-3

Superman Returns-3.5

Thor-3

300- 2.5

X-Men-4

X-Men 2-4.5

X-Men Last Stand-3.5

X-Men First Class-1.5

X-Men Origins: Wolverine- 2.5

Ghost World (2001) is the only one I've seen that I would call great and a personal favorite as well. I won't say Superhero movies can't be entertaining, just not really worth remembering once they are over. Mostly because there have been too many of them for too long.

^

Really enjoy the contributions guys :)

I find most comic book/superhero movies to be 2 or 3 star films. Marvel- in particular has never really catch my interest as I find their characters to be too paper-thin and implausible. So much CGI that the film becomes artificial in temperament. That's why my picks for 3.5 and higher were films that attempted to obtain a degree of realism...;)

• 2 weeks later...

For me, Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World was an almost flawless evocation of a comic transferred to film - and tons of fun to boot. Similarly Sin City captured the essence of Frank Miller too. But as an X-Men aficionado, nothing could beat seeing the various interpretations of those characters on screen. The films may not have been the best (X-2 really being the only "good" one) but nevertheless I get stupidly excited every time I hear about and see a new one... The upcoming The Wolverine being set in Japan has truly made my inner-geek happy!

Familiarity with the source material helps, so it is difficult to be dispassionate about that element. That said Howard The Duck was all kinds of shit and bore no relation to the bizarrely enjoyable comic it came from. Out of the various Batman films, I'd go with Batman Begins to be honest.

Have you seen 'The Avengers' Baron? I'm not a fan of the concept itself but this film was very, very true to the comic. An enthusiast would give it 5/5 rather than the 3/5 I experienced.

Sin City- and I think we've talked about it before- was very true to the comics as well, and nearly frame by frame in some areas. So was Frank Miller's 300.

As for the Batman films, I saw Batman Begins first, loved it, but I couldn't bring myself to watch Batman 1989 or Batman returns in full. They were just inadequate compared to the Nolan series. Maybe I'm not enough of a batman comic-book fan to appreciate them, but that's what happened.

For me, Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World was an almost flawless evocation of a comic transferred to film - and tons of fun to boot. Similarly Sin City captured the essence of Frank Miller too. But as an X-Men aficionado, nothing could beat seeing the various interpretations of those characters on screen. The films may not have been the best (X-2 really being the only "good" one) but nevertheless I get stupidly excited every time I hear about and see a new one... The upcoming The Wolverine being set in Japan has truly made my inner-geek happy!

Familiarity with the source material helps, so it is difficult to be dispassionate about that element. That said Howard The Duck was all kinds of shit and bore no relation to the bizarrely enjoyable comic it came from. Out of the various Batman films, I'd go with Batman Begins to be honest.

The Tim Burton Batman films (and let's not even bring up the Schumacher ones :pinch: ) rode a fine line between the campery of the '60s TV series and the burgeoning era of the "serious" graphic novel. It's difficult now - after superheroes became serious business, and the success of the Nolan films - to appreciate how cool and groundbreaking Batman was. Here you had an actor of the calibre of Jack Nicholson playing The Joker, a comic book character. :o This was the start of Hollywood looking at these 'kids things' being able to make big bucks. It is, very definitely though, a Tim Burton film - and your enjoyment of it will depend on how much you like his style.

Yeah, I really enjoyed The Avengers. Again, I'm more Marvel than DC, and have more familiarity with those characters. A lot depended on the believability of the CGI Hulk - and he was nigh on perfect. It had plenty of humour and big set-pieces and didn't have to suffer any 'origins' business as it had all been taken care of. :thumbsup:

^

Interesting to hear of the history, and of what was seminal. A product of its time!

As far as Marvel goes, I like the Blade concept and The Punisher 'Max'. A proper Punisher movie has yet to be made- If an origin film is made, it would have to be rated R (not something that producers would like) and have to start from Frank Castle's childhood down into his services in Vietnam, and then the loss of his family. It would be difficult to get the ball rolling since two Punishers have been attempted in the last decade, and both have failed.

DC comics: Just Batman, and only very selectively.

I re-watched Batman ’89 just the other week (initial memories of it were pretty vague as I hadn't seen it for years previously). I think it’s very much of its time but, with the exception of a distinctly naff sequence in which Jack Nicholson and his gang chuck paint over assorted works of art to the sounds of Prince, it's also slick, stylish and just generally good fun to watch. Pretty much everything you'd want a blockbuster movie in 1989 to be. As the Baron already said, if you like what Burton brings to the table, you’ll like it. :yes:

It seems to me that the public perception of the two Burton Batmans (Batmen?) changed after the subsequent Joel Schumacher efforts were billed as sequels. Not only did Batman & Robin tank so badly (save for Michael Gough’s turn as Alfred, and of course, Arnie’s never-ending barrage of excruciating ice puns ;)) that it made the production of another good Batman film appear an impossible task, it also tarred the Burton movies with the Schumacher brush.

^:hehe:

Ghost World (2001) is the only one I've seen that I would call great and a personal favorite as well. I won't say Superhero movies can't be entertaining, just not really worth remembering once they are over. Mostly because there have been too many of them for too long.

^ :rofl:

I forgot about V For Vendetta. Definitely one of the best adaptations, and what a sharp shock it was to see such a dark future located in such familiar surroundings.

An honourable mention for Watchmen too, if I may. It wasn’t everyone’s cup of tea at the time of release and of course, it’s not as good as the book (when is it ever? :unsure:) but it improves greatly with repeated viewings. The opening sequence depicting the transition from the 'Golden Age' of superheroes to the period in which the story takes place was genuinely one of the best things I've ever seen in a movie.

Also, +1 for both Ghost World and Scott Pilgrim. Both huge favourites of mine for some time now. :thumbsup:

• 9 months later...

Now that I've seen the new superman:

Batman Begins- 4.5

The Dark Knight- 4.5

Man of Steel- 3.5

The Dark Knight Rises-3.5

History of Violence-3.5

​Road to Perdition- 3.5

Blade- 3.5

The Mask- 3.5

Unbreakable-3

The Avengers-3