Bellazon

Victoria's Secret What Is Sexy? Hardcover Volumes

mameha

Do you remember when Heidi Klum used to be a model? "The one off 'Project Runway'?", I hear you ask. Indeed. The very same.

Heidi... She was pretty good.

But oh, that was so many moons ago...

Perhaps you recall Tyra Banks? Yes - that one! She was a model too. I know, I know... But believe me, she was.

And Gisele Bundchen; the one from that great film 'Taxi' with Jimmy Fallon and Queen Latifah - about the...well...taxi?

Yes, you've guessed it. She was only a bloody model too!

And maybe you saw 'How I Met Your Mother' the other week? When they went to the Victoria's Secret party, remember? And they spoke to those girls, with HILAIRIOUS consequences?

ALL models!

They were models. Insignificant models from fashion shows.

Remember fashion shows? You know, where people walk up and down runways to promote clothing? Yes: Old, silly, outdated, irrelevant fashion shows. The ones that didn't involve musical interludes and celebrities and car licence plates around your thighs... Remember them?

Yes, people. Do you remember when 'Victoria's Secret Models' used to model 'Victoria's Secret'?

A time, not so long ago - before 'Angels', before cameo roles, before this all-encompassing 'celebrity' nonsense that has engulfed us?

That time is gone. Alas, we shall never see it's like again. For now we have to have tie-ins and marketing schmarketing. We have to have brand awareness above and beyond the norms of fashion weeks and magazine advertisements and editorials.

Unfortunately the Dylan commercial was a warning. It was an endorsement. It was a promotional tool. It was a HARBINGER OF DOOM (forgive the melodrama)!

The good old days. Those halcyon days. Where models modelled. Where 'What Is Sexy?' was answered fairly comprehensively. Innocent, carefree days...

:p

I blame the success of PINK. That's where VS makes most of their money nowadays, so that's where their marketing is targeted - toward teen and pre-teen girls - instead of the classy, elegant sexiness that appealed to mature women everywhere.

I feel the change, too. And I don't like it.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...