Bellazon

Editorials

rosada

giovanni frasson- vogue fashion`s director: which moments you felt more lonely in these fifteen years of carrer?

gb:the beginning of my carrer was hard,i was only 14.i left the security of my home and family and went to live in a city like são paulo.when i moved to japan was another complicated moment,i felt like a fish out of water:i didn`t speak english and even less japanese.when i moved to new york,at 16,i had the feeling one more time of not belonging to that place.with time and maturity,that feeling disappeared.i see loneliness like a state of spirit:you can be around people and still feel alone.today,i can be alone and feeling very well.by the way,nowadays i love separating some time only for myself.it`s important for my balance.

j.r.duran-photographer:what mirror tells you every morning?

gb:it dependes on the day! actually ,i don`t care too much about the mirror in my free time.i use to stare at it more when i`m working.but i think,the mirror not only doesn`t tell us who we are but also distort the image we have of ourselves.when you go to a center of meditation,for example,there are no mirrors.there,you learn to look into yourself.

i`ll keep the translation later,unless someone does it for me. :flower:

Thanks for the lovely interview :)

So I had done a translation (or attempt of a translation, LOL) earlier... :p This is the full interview. Enjoy!

------------------

Giovanni Frasson, fashion director of Vogue Which were the loneliest moments in these 15 years of carrer?

The beginning of my career was difficult, I was only fourteen. I left the safety of my family’s home and moved to a city as big as Sao Paulo! The move to Japan was another complicated moment, I felt like a fish out of water: didn’t speak any English, let alone Japanese. When I moved to New York, with 16 years old, I was again having the sensation that I didn’t belong there. With time and maturity, that feeling disappeared. I see loneliness as a state of spirit: you can be surrounded by people, and still feel lonely. Nowadays, I can be alone and very much well. By the way, I love to take some time just for myself, it's something that’s essential to keep me balanced.

J.R Duran, photographer What does the mirror say to you every morning?

Depends on the day! Actually, I don’t pay much attention to the mirror in my free time. It’s really when I working that I usually look at myself. But I think that, not only does it not say who we are, it twists the image that we have of ourselves. When you go to a meditation center, for example, there are no mirrors. Then you learn to look within yourself.

Jaques Dequecker, photographer Do you surf with the right or the left foot on the front? Why?

With the left one. And I have no idea why. It’s something that happened naturally.

Bob Wolfenson, photographer Would you like to be less of a celebrity?

There are two sides to everything. The good thing about fame is that I have a voice to speak about what I believe in, to disseminate ideas and topics that I find important. And the not-so-good side is that a lot of stuff is made up about me, they put words in my mouth and twist what I say. It’s something that makes me really sad.

Maria Prata, editor-in-chief of Fashion TV What do you miss doing that you no longer can because of fame?

Living in Boston, my life is a lot calmer. But, when I go to Rio, for example, I would like to play volleyball on the beach, which obviously I can’t do. Another thing that I miss is to be able to leave my house In Los Angeles without having paparazzi following me around and harassing me. It would be wonderful if people cared more about their own lives.

Adriana Bechara, fashion editor of Vogue Who do you look up to when seeking to become a better person?

My mother is a heroine, since she managed to raise six daughters and still work. I also admire the Buddhist philosophy: I believe the path to happiness is in self-knowledge. I like a lot reading the inspiring books of the monk Thich Nhat Hahn, and those of Mexican shaman Don Miguel Ruiz, author of The Mastery of Love, one of my favorites. Reading inspires me in the constant search to know myself better and go deep inside my feelings. I don’t believe there’s anywhere else I can find happiness than within myself. Nothing that comes from outside, from other people, or anything material is going to make me feel complete. I have to do that work inside of me.

Ignacio de Loyola Brandão, writer A few years ago, in Brazilian Vogue's office, sipping a Château Margaux, we talked for four hours. Years have passed, and today I have only one question: What now, Gisele?

Only God knows what my future holds. I have a lot of dreams to achieve and I think that, the day we stop dreaming, life loses its meaning. Dreams write my history as they become true. I still have a lot to write, lots to do, I’m only beginning.

Jessica Lengyel, Colcci designer When you were a girl, before modeling even crossed your mind, what was your dream?

I loved playing volleyball. So I wished to be hired by a volleyball team, I wanted to make it to Brazil’s team. When I started modeling, I didn’t think seriously about the future. The opportunity came all of a sudden, and I wanted to give 110% of myself.

Duda Molinos, makeup artist What moment in your career did you realize you had become a fashion icon?

To be quite honest, I get rather shy with this title. To this day I don’t understand all of this, I don’t consider myself an icon, it’s difficult to see myself in that way. But I think I began to be recognized by my work in 1999, when I won Vogue Fashion Award’s Best Model of the Year. But to this day I don’t feel really comfortable with titles.

Silvana Holzmeister, special projects editor of Vogue Did you learn any special care from your mom that you put in practice with Benjamin?

My mom gave me several useful tips. One of the most important was that I must always stay very calm, because all our energies go to the baby. It’s important not to despair when the child falls, gets hurt, cries, etc. Something else that I learned is that I have to rest, because I’ll only be able to give my best if I’m rested. So, while my baby was asleep, I’d get some sleep, too. It was really important that I had my mom with me during the first month. She gave me confidence and tranquility. I had trouble breastfeeding at first, it hurt a lot, my breast got sensitive, but my mom gave me strength and helped me to overcome that; she’d prep compress pads to help ease the pain and showed me that it’d pass with time. I trusted. After all, she did have six daughters, she knows stuff!

Bruno Astuto, Vogue collaborator How do you see yourself in 15 years?

Happy, always trying to improve myself as a human being. I imagine I’ll be working in project in which I believe and feeling fulfilled by that. I think it’s important to visualize what you wish and to see yourself further down the road.

Jeff Ares, editor of the website RG Can you list concrete results of your efforts to the green cause?

It’s hard to measure the true impact of everything we’ve done. Since 2006, we set a sales value of the Ipanema Gisele Bündchen sandals to the socio-environmental cause. We’ve helped several institutions. Besides that, I have a project with my family in my hometown, Horizontina, in Rio Grande do Sul, which seeks to guarantee good-quality water to all the population. The results of these investments take long to show, and it’s important that people know that. To cut down a tree, for example, takes minutes, but to re-plant it and wait for it to reach adulthood it’s something that takes 20, 30 years. That’s why our actions must be immediate. I believe my main goal is to bring awareness to people, spread the message of the importance of preservation, conscious utilization of the natural resources, not to waste and not to pollute. I want to spread that message around the world.

Edward Razek, marketing director of Victoria’s Secret You seem to be in the happiest phase of your life. Is this true? How did you meet your husband? Was it a blind date? How did you choose Benjamin’s name? And who was your favorite client in all these years of career?

I am living the most challenging, but also the most rewarding phase of my life and that makes me very happy. And yes, it’s true that I met my husband in a blind date. Tom (American football player Tom Brady) was introduced to me by a very special friend, who knew us both and thought we had a lot in common. He was right. We chose the name Benjamin because we both liked it and it sounded just as good in English as it did in Portuguese. As for clients, I had the opportunity to work with dear, special people. You are certainly one of them, Ed.

Mônica Salgado, writer-in-chief of Vogue Describe a typical day in your life. What’s the best part of the day? And what’s the bad, yet inevitable part?

My routine changed a lot since Benjamin’s birth. Nowadays I wake up between 5-6 AM, breastfeed my son, play with him and, when I’m not working, spend the whole day with him by my side. The most delicious time is when I see his face in the morning: he looks like a little angel, so calm! And the bad part of the day is… when it ends. The days fly by, so I can never do everything I would like. I would love if the days had, at least, 48 hours.

Barbara Gancia, columnist of Folha de Sao Paulo and Band News FM Don’t you get sick of seeing your face everywhere? Do you think about retiring?

As it turns out I end up not seeing my face around that much. I think of working in things I believe in until the day I’m no longer here, because that makes me want to wake up in the morning. So, I think I will never retire, I’ll be always working on something. As a model, I haven’t defined a work time, but slowly I’m electing other priorities.

Ralph, former marketing director of C&A and current Riachuelo’s What profession would you have chosen if you were a male and as ugly as I am?

It had to be you, right, Ralph? I would do exactly what you are doing. I would try to find another talent to focus my energies in and would work the same way I do now, with a lot of determination and professionalism.

Gui Paganini, photographer Gisele, when are we going to shoot again?

I don’t know, Gui, but hopefully soon.

Lilian Pacce, hostess of GNT Fashion What’s never been asked and that you would like to say?

I would like to say that I’m proud to be Brazilian and it’d be wonderful if Brazil could show the world how to grow in a conscious and responsible way.

Carolina Andraus-Miranda, entrepreneur Which family and life values were determinant to the choices you have made?

To treat everyone around me with equality and respect, to be an honest, ethical, hard-working person, to never walk over people’s heads to grow in life, to always be kind, not give up easily, to believe I deserve to be happy, help those in need, to be patient with myself, love myself and love others. And, if anyone wishes me harm, to send a lot of love that someone’s way.

:)

th_594f74104434736.jpg/monthly_10_2010/post-34682-0-1446021023-8378_thumb.jpg" data-fileid="2780148" alt="post-34682-0-1446021023-8378_thumb.jpg" data-ratio="128.21"> post-34682-0-1446021025-92047_thumb.jpg th_63810a103690066.jpg/monthly_10_2010/post-34682-0-1446021026-1755_thumb.jpg" data-fileid="2780179" alt="post-34682-0-1446021026-1755_thumb.jpg" data-ratio="146.4"> th_70aa6d103690850.jpg/monthly_10_2010/post-34682-0-1446021026-58859_thumb.jpg" data-fileid="2780204" alt="post-34682-0-1446021026-58859_thumb.jpg" data-ratio="139.06"> th_71162c103691638.jpg/monthly_10_2010/post-34682-0-1446021027-1461_thumb.jpg" data-fileid="2780221" alt="post-34682-0-1446021027-1461_thumb.jpg" data-ratio="144.34"> post-34682-0-1446021027-48892_thumb.jpg th_44720b103692529.jpg/monthly_10_2010/post-34682-0-1446021028-0746_thumb.jpg" data-fileid="2780249" alt="post-34682-0-1446021028-0746_thumb.jpg" data-ratio="141.29"> post-34682-0-1446021028-77549_thumb.jpg post-34682-0-1446021029-47484_thumb.jpg post-34682-0-1446021031-88037_thumb.jpg post-34682-0-1446021032-83384_thumb.jpg th_550135103693497.jpg/monthly_10_2010/post-34682-0-1446021032-87766_thumb.jpg" data-fileid="2780327" alt="post-34682-0-1446021032-87766_thumb.jpg" data-ratio="157.52">

• 2 weeks later...