Bellazon

Spiderman 3

mylovelyangel

FULL ARTICLE

Spider-Man 3' Nets Record $59M in 1 Day

Saturday May 5 12:19 PM ET

Hollywood's biggest superhero now has the biggest box-office debut.

"Spider-Man 3" took in a record $59 million domestically on opening day Friday, breaking the previous all-time high of $55.8 million for "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" in its first day last summer.

Sony Pictures, the studio behind the "Spider-Man" franchise, also reported Saturday that the movie took in an additional $45 million overseas on Friday for a worldwide total of $104 million, a record for single-day grosses globally.

Sony spokesman Steve Elzer said executives at the studio declined to comment until estimates for the full weekend are available Sunday morning.

By then, the "Spider-Man" franchise could reclaim the record for best three-day opening ever. The first "Spider-Man" pulled in $114.8 million domestically in its debut weekend in 2002, a record that stood until "Dead Man's Chest" shattered it with $135.6 million last July.

In a news release, Sony said it expects "Spider-Man 3" will come in around the $135 million to $145 million range for its first weekend.

"That's why they call him the amazing Spider-Man," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of box-office tracker Media By Numbers. "Just five years ago, these are numbers we thought we'd never see."

"Spider-Man 3" opened to record numbers in some countries as early as Tuesday and expanded to other locations over the next few days. Elzer said figures for the film's total worldwide haul since Tuesday would not be released until Sunday.

The film, which cost millions to make, already had a record going into the weekend. It opened in 4,252 theaters domestically, topping the previous record of 4,163 set by "Shrek 2" in 2004.

"It certainly doesn't hurt to have that much shelf space devoted to `Spider-Man,'" Dergarabedian said.

"Spider-Man 3" stars Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker, who becomes the web-slinging superhero after a bite from a mutant spider endows him with special powers. The new film reunites Maguire with director Sam Raimi and co-stars Kirsten Dunst as Peter's girlfriend Mary Jane and James Franco as his old friend Harry, now a sworn enemy who blames Spidey for his father's death.

Spiderman 3 was 550 mill and king kong was 510 or 508 million

King Kong cost 207,000,000 to make and Spider-man is pegged at 258,000,000. The rumor was apparently not true. Superman Returns cost 270,000,000 and i think that takes the cake, unless someone can prove me wrong.

A lot of haters be hatin' but I quite liked the film. It is a bit scattered, and not as tight as the second one, but its still a solid effort. Someone give James Franco a lead role in a film with a decent script, because that's a film I'd like to see.

I am definitely a huge Spider-man fan to the extent that I would call myself an expert (which is sort of sad) but I think the main problem behind the movie had to do with the director, Sam Raimi. Overlooking his limitations, I mean he did make Army of Darkness, I think he wanted to do it all for the third movie and bit off more than he could chew.

Anyone who knows who Venom is or has any interest in the character would definitely feel cheated by his short exposure in the film. I don't know how many people thought (myself included) that Venom would be set up for the next movie. Instead his character is pretty bastardized and really didn't appear all that threatening. I mean at least Sandman escaped in his first fight scene.

Combine that with the fact that the Sandman is an extremely weak villain. He has no depth in his backstory like Dr. Octopus and the Green Goblin he's just a thug. So the writers wanted to adapt him into a more relevant character and decide that he killed Uncle Ben. Most people who know anything about Spider-man (READ: nerds) know that Uncle Ben's death needs to be a random act. But the Sandman needs to have some connection to Peter in order to advance the plot and make his character interesting. So they took this road.

They also throw in the character of Gwen Stacy who is utilized to connect Peter with Eddie Brock/Venom. It just seems like her character could have been any girl. It was basically a waste of her character. Gwen Stacy is probably the most important love interest ever in the Spider-man comics. When she is thrown off a bridge ( a la MJ in Spider-man 1) Peter shoots a web to break her fall and has to come to grips with whether she was dead at the hands of the Green Goblin or whether his webbing broke her neck. This is the most important scene in the comics next to the origin. So her character shouldn't occupy a throw away role.

At least this movie nailed the character of Harry Osborn. James Franco did a good job acting and his story line was the most interesting to follow. The movie also nailed the way that the characters should look: Gwen Stacy was spot on. Eddie Brock could have been bulkier for my tastes though.

While there was too much going on, I think the major problem was the structuring of the villains. We only need one villain. Or maybe two. Three is definitely too much. If there is anything to be learned from Batman and Robin it's that the more villains in a movie, the worse the movie is. Keep things simple and use the time to flesh out the main villain or even the main character.

I for one was extremely pleased with the movie. There could have been less MJ slapping, less Saturday Night Fever scenes, and more Venom and I would probably give this movie a 5/5. But I never give movies a 5/5 anyway. This was a 3/5. But it's a comic book movie. Your expectations can't be too high.

• 2 weeks later...

Good points ^^

My main issue with this film and honestly, the whole series so far, is the lack of mystery. In the comics there was suspense and mystery surrounding some crimes or events that Spidey had to figure out. We don't have any of that here. The films focus WAY too much on MJ and Peter's relationship crap. Ladeeda, he's ignoring me, wah wah i need to break up so he isn't hurt...boo hooo. Give me more Law & Order and less Pretty In Pink.

Batman is the detective. Spider-man not so much. While mystery makes for a good story, I think the crux of Spider-man is the man under the mask. We need to see a lot of Peter and we need to see all the people in his life. I don't think the MJ-Peter relationship is a problem, I think that the writers of the movie were uncertain of what they wanted to do with the relationship. There was the whole 'I'm going to ask MJ to marry me' moment but I don't think he ever actually proposed to her.

I don't see a mystery story centering around Sandman. There could have been more mystery surrounding the alien costume though. Dr. Connors was like, 'I've never seen this type of lifeform' and then he just lets Peter leave. He is a scientist and as such he would be like, "Holy crap, I might have a Nobel Prize coming. What the hell is this Peter?" But there could have been mystery surrounding the scientific developments of Peter's 'transformation.'

If they ever have a movie about the Lizard, the Chamelion, or Mysterio there would be a crap-load of mystery to go around. So just hope they pick any of those characters for the inevitible sequels.

• 15 years later...
  • 10 months later...