Bellazon

Margot Robbie
Thumbnail

dawson

All in all, I just expressed my opinion, only to see a bunch of hornets getting in a frenzy because of it.

It proves my point: this movie is fuel for hatred. There's probably not much more to add.

Cheers :Amelie_wft:

photofunky.gif

1 hour ago, Enrico_sw said:

All in all, I just expressed my opinion, only to see a bunch of hornets getting in a frenzy because of it.

It proves my point: this movie is fuel for hatred. There's probably not much more to add.

photofunky.gif

Get a reaction from the fans and call it proof of your point of view.  Good job, dude:no2:

4 hours ago, Enrico_sw said:

photofunky.gif

The only one gettin frenzy about a movie HE DIDN'T EVEN WATCH, a movie you're not the main audience for, was yourself but whatever you pleases lol

75f7fa46a3dfc5691969de4c0b3812e582572dfc

But good that BARBIE makes you think and reflect your environment. I'm trying to picture how strong your reaction would be if you actually watched it. However, mission accomplished ✔️

May the pink force be with you.

566482bf412d2bb5f6433139516abd74ae85020d

16 hours ago, Enrico_sw said:

This is 99% of Hollywood movies

This is absolutely false. Hollywood is not all female movie makers. Far from it.  

How many male directors can you think of off the top of your head?  Now how many female?

5 hours ago, Enrico_sw said:

It proves my point: this movie is fuel for hatred

Aside from you and Ben Shapiro, who is a tool, I haven't heard of any hate towards, or due to, this movie. 

You sound a bit sexist, or maybe insecure in your masculinity. 

1 hour ago, Grievous said:

This is absolutely false. Hollywood is not all female movie makers. Far from it.  

How many male directors can you think of off the top of your head?  Now how many female?

Especially when it comes to smashing box office hits or the so called movies billion dollar club. There is only ONE incredible successful movie that centers a womans journey (literally) and that's TITANIC. It's also the only movie tellin 12 years old me a story doesn't have to end with "they lived happily ever after" and the heroine not only can save herself but has a fulfilled, self chosen life without dashing young Leo but that's another story.

And this movie isn't written nor directed by a woman, so it's only half counting.

6 hours ago, Jade Bahr said:

May the pink force be with you.

I don't agree with you, but at least you are classy, witty and thoughtful. I respect that.

I would've preferred to see you try to understand my POV and other dissenting voices (maybe just the Critical Drinker's video - this is a person I trust and his video is the one that helped me to decide if I wanted to see the movie).... but I still think you're a good person:hi_wft:

tip-hat-jack-sparrow.gif

(On the other hand, I won't answer to our male friend from Florida, who's only here for the drama... I can smell it even if I'm 10 000 km away from  the Sunshine State :ninja:)

You don't have to respond.  I don't really care to talk to people like you. 

And following a YouTuber with a video that's called "Why Modern Movies Suck - The Strong Female Character" tells me everything I need to know.  

He sounds like an open-minded kind of guy. 🙄

17 hours ago, Enrico_sw said:

I don't agree with you, but at least you are classy, witty and thoughtful. I respect that.

1279c7b32df16846e580cd1ff78d1f9075589db1

17 hours ago, Enrico_sw said:

I would've preferred to see you try to understand my POV and other dissenting voices (maybe just the Critical Drinker's video - this is a person I trust and his video is the one that helped me to decide if I wanted to see the movie)....

I'll check it out ;)

Marc Maron Says Men Who Dislike Greta Gerwig’s ‘Barbie’ Are “F*cking Insecure Babies”, Calls it A “Masterpiece”

Marc Maron, of the ultra-popular WTF podcast, is calling “Barbie” a “Masterpiece” and attacking “certain men” who are criticizing Greta Gerwig’s blockbuster (via THR).

Maron is calling out these “certain men,” who feel threatened by the film, as “f*cking insecure babies,” adding that he was truly taken by the film’s “progressive politics and basic feminism.”

“I saw “Barbie” and I thought it was a f*cking masterpiece […] And like, I don’t throw that word around lightly, but, Jesus Christ […] The comedy about men is inspired and the fact that certain men took offense to the point where they, you know, tried to build a grift around it in terms of their narrative as right-wing **** is so embarrassing for them. I mean, so embarrassing for them. Any dude that can’t take those hits in that movie, they’ve really got to look in their pants and decide what they’re made of. I mean, Jesus Christ, what a bunch of f*cking insecure babies.

Maron goes on to say ..

It’s like it does a fairly amazing thing to create a sort of broad-based entertainment product that applies to the entire spectrum. I think primarily of women. And then just seep it in progressive politics and basic feminism in a way that’s funny, informative and well-executed in a context that is completely engaging is fucking monumental.

Gerwig has been fairly silent about the backlash against her film, but she did tell the New York Times that her “hope for the movie is that it’s an invitation for everybody to be part of the party and let go of the things that aren’t necessarily serving us as either women or men.”

'Barbie' is the only billion-dollar blockbuster solely directed by a woman

Barbie will surpass $1 billion worldwide, according to Warner Bros. estimates. Hard as it may be to believe, that makes director Greta Gerwig the only woman in the billion-dollar club with sole credit for directing a film.

A couple of other women have shared credit for directing movies that made more than a billion dollars. Both Frozen and Frozen II were co-directed by a man and a woman, Jennifer Lee and Chris Buck. And Anna Boden co-directed Captain Marvel with Ryan Fleck. Wonder Woman, directed by Patty Jenkins, is among the top 60 highest grossing films, not adjusted for inflation, but it has not broken the billion dollar barrier.

Most of the movies in the billion dollar club are, predictably, male-oriented and franchise-driven. At this moment, 53 films have made more than a billion dollars. Barbie is among only nine that center female protagonists.

Nine, that is, if you count female fish. Finding Dory (2016) swims in the billion dollar club, along with the animated princesses of Frozen (2013), Frozen II (2019) and Beauty and the Beast (2017). Two mega-franchises managed to spit out a billion-dollar film with women at the story's heart: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017) and Captain Marvel (2019). Then, two other billion dollar one-offs: Titanic (1997) and a live-action Alice in Wonderland (2010).

In short, plots centering women and girls currently make up 18% of all billion-dollar movies. Nearly half of them are animated films made for children. Blockbusters with strong girl characters are great. But the dearth of super successful movies about grown women illustrates Hollywood's infamous sluggishness when it comes to gender parity.

"[This] is a reflection of what Hollywood has chosen to back with its biggest budgets, its largest marketing spends, and who it has ... given the opportunity to direct and write and star in these movies," The Hollywood Reporter's senior film editor, Rebecca Keegan, pointed out on a recent episode of the podcast The Town. "So it's a little hard to say that that's responding to market forces versus that is a reflection of the culture that's driven Hollywood for decades."

The Town's host, Matthew Belloni, pointed out that on Barbie's opening weekend, women made up 69% of ticket buyers domestically. "And then it actually rose to 71% female in the second weekend, which is unusual," he said. Anecdotally, it seems numerous women return to the movie, bringing relatives and friends. And Barbie's crossover appeal to men cannot be denied.

Stacey L. Smith of the University of Southern California has long studied inclusion in popular culture. Her most recent report, from February, shows that female representation in television and film has steadily improved. Her study looks at the top 1,600 movies in a given year. In 2007, the percentage of female protagonists was only 20%. In 2022, that number had risen to 44%. Not perfect. But far, far better than the numbers for the world's most successful films that enjoy the most studio support.

You'd hope that with Barbie, the number of women nominated for Oscars for best director might improve. It's a sad little number. Only seven. And those numbers might not even improve in 2024. Barbie director Greta Gerwig has already been nominated for an Oscar, for her 2017 movie Ladybird.

Source