Bellazon

Margot Robbie
Thumbnail

dawson

‘Barbie’ Now Tracking at $110 Million Opening

I really want to vent about “Barbie,” but I can’t, signed an embargo form yesterday, so it’ll have to wait until the review ban lifts.

All of this to say that the folks over at Warner/Mattel have done a masterful job marketing this one. They’ve truly hidden the fact that this movie is not at all what the mainstream will expect it to be. Kudos.

Now I'm even more curious if that's possible 😄

It has to be a "first" where the New York Times has four separate headlines/stories on a single movie on the same day.

(sometimes the NYT blocks their articles with a paywall)

Barbie Has Never Been a Great Symbol. But She’s an Excellent Mirror.

‘Barbenheimer’ and a Film Critic’s Perspective, in Review

Gretchen Whitmer Would Like You to Meet ‘Governor Barbie’

‘Barbie’ Review: Out of the Box and On the Road

B.O. TOTALS: ‘Barbie’ $155 Million, ‘Oppenheimer’ $80 Million

Job well-done, Mr. Nolan. And, of course, Ms. Gerwig. Their films are now responsible for the 4th best box-office weekend of all-time. Who says cinema is dead? It’s alive, for now.

Warner Bros. can also claim to have the biggest weekend debut of 2023. It’s also the all-time biggest for a female director. Will “Oppenheimer” and “Barbie” have legs? That’s the big question now.

Truth be told, I don’t think we’re likely going to see another weekend quite like this one for a very long time. The future of moviegoing is still up in the air, where does it head now? There’s also an actors/writers strike that could shapeshift the entire industry.

Then again, Tom Cruise didn’t have a good weekend, at all. In only its second weekend of release, “Mission: Impossible — Dead Reckoning Part One” finished fourth with a paltry $19.5 million, a disastrous 65% drop. Its domestic total now stands at $118 million.

‘Dead Reckoning’ suffered from poor timing. It got caught in the “Barbeheimer” firestorm. What a shame, especially since, when compared to summer flops “Indiana Jones 5” and “The Flash,” it’s actually a good movie.

Spoiler

Forever in LOL about Tom Flop Cruise :rofl:

4 minutes ago, Qball said:

and I think her best movie role so far was Tonya.

She did a great job in that film.  :thumbs_up:

I also really like her take on Harley Quinn, even if the films themselves have left something to be desired.  Also seems like, given the critical reception and the box office, that she's knocked it out of the park with Barbie as well. 

7 minutes ago, Qball said:

Margot is amazing, she first caught my attention in 'The Wolf of Wall Street'. I've been following her ever since, and I think her best movie role so far was Tonya.

She is a very strong and versatile actress 💯 I also want to mention her role in Babylon, which in my opinion was worthy of an Oscar nomination. 

16 minutes ago, VS19 said:

I also really like her take on Harley Quinn, even if the films themselves have left something to be desired.

She made this character iconic outside of the geek community. Now Harley will be played by Lady Gaga and maybe someone else in the future, but the fact is that it was Margot who paved the way