Kati Nescher
Thumbnail

Zacatecana91

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Styled to a T - Kati Nescher By KATHRYN BRANCH

post-31828-0-1446087142-57297_thumb.jpg

Photograph by Karim Sadli. Fashion editor: Vanessa Traina. Hair by Damien Boissinot at Jed Root. Makeup by Ayami Nishimura at Julian Watson Agency using Make. Manicure by Akari at Artlist. Casting by Noah Shelley for AM Casting at Streeters.

The Trend

Show Some Shin. Slim, sober skirts that end midcalf - at Stella McCartney, Chloe and Giulietta - are a perfect match for the sturdy heels seen strutting the fall runways.

The Girl

The model (and mom) Kati Nescher, 27, was the queen of fashion weeks the world over, doing 63 shows, including opening Altuzarra and closing Marc Jacobs. All this at an age when many of her cohorts are retiring.

The Look

A basic white tank lets this lanky wool gabardine skirt from Chanel be the star.

post-31828-0-1446087142-59178_thumb.jpg

Nescher at Oscar de la Renta's fall 2012 show.

On Modeling and Motherhood

Kati Nescher, the 28-year-old model and mother, opened or closed nearly half of the shows she walked in during her very first fall runway season this past February. She juggled New York, Paris and Milan like a pro, and walked Oscar de la Renta, Chanel and Jil Sander (to name just a few) like it was no big thing. T caught up with the Russian-born, German-bred model while she was in the City of Lights shooting something big - "soon you will see," she said with a laugh. In a few days she would be returning to Cologne to see her 2-year-old son, Theo, but before doing so she shared her thoughts about the "great machine of fashion" and the key to rocking all of its major runways: "keep your feet on the floor," she said. Duly noted.

I understand you had done some modeling work in Germany before having your son, long before signing with an agent. How did you get back into modeling after becoming a mom?

I really only had a little bit of experience. I'd never come to Paris or New York before. I had some friends in the business, so I'd done a few jobs in Germany, I guess, but it was never so incredible. Not until I was 27 did I call my agent. Before that, I never really tried. I'd wish it, though. It was good I waited for this moment, this point in my life where I was like, "O.K., I really don't know what else to do." I also wanted to try to be an actress.

I didn't know that.

Yes, it was a bit of my dream.

Is it still?

Yeah! Why not? You never know. For modeling, I just did my life, my normal life. I've had a lot of experiences. I was pregnant; I'm a mom now. So, it was perfect to start a little later. Even though everyone was like, "All the other girls are so young."

What was your first fashion shoot like?

My first really special shoot was for German Vogue. I was a bit like, "Oh wow. Cool. It's really happening." It was nothing big, just my small little picture. It was fun. I only had two months in Germany before I came straight to Paris for haute couture in 2011. It was my first run, my first time going out. It was very fast and crazy. But I wanted to keep my feet on the floor. I wanted to be - oh, I don't know how to say it in English, this word, honest? That's the important thing to me.

I imagine there is nothing too much more grounding than motherhood.

Yes, that's true. That's true. That's very true.

So with you constantly traveling now, how is it juggling modeling and motherhood?

I've been doing it for 10 months. Ever since Fashion Week it's been a lot. In the beginning, it was better for my son to stay home with family. It's good for him to see Mom walking, and then coming back. And we've also spoken on the phone, so that's O.K. But now, it's coming to the time when it's very cool for me because I'll get to take him on some jobs. My wish now is to move to New York with him.

Where do you want to move in New York?

I want something that's nice for my little one. More green and more fresh air. A quiet place, but it also can't be super-quiet because then the house would be super-boring. But in New York, nothing is boring. Brooklyn, Williamsburg, maybe these parts? I just need something different, so why not New York? It's good for languages, too. I want to learn French.

You were a German and Russian translator before you became a professional model, correct?

Yes, for a bit. I also speak Spanish. It wasn't my dream job, but it was a good experience.

"Experience" is a word that is constantly being thrown around you even though this past season was really your first time on the runway. A lot of people are saying the key to your unprecedented success is the years you have on the other girls.

The clients say that it's great to have someone who's older, who's a woman, and not a child anymore. But it's also not all about age. I'm there to sell something. Of course, it's nice for girls to grow up in this business from the beginning, but I don't really understand why you have to be very, very young.

What do you think you do that's different from what the girls who are 18, 19 years old do? Are you just a little bit wiser?

I don't want to say I'm wiser. It's just about personality. I've spoken to a lot of girls who are just 19, and actually they're very interesting because of their experience traveling and the time they'-ve spent just being alone. But, for clients, what I'm doing is about respect; it's a pleasure to walk for them. It's about teamwork for me. It's not just about wearing clothes; it's about acting, it's about editorial. It's about being in the moment and understanding what the client wants.

So it's about taking direction well?

Yes, sometimes they prep us before the show. But also, sometimes not. Sometimes it's just 10 minutes for one entire show, and you're like, "O.K., that's everything." Then there's the next one, the next one, the next one. It's not easy; it's a crazy time. Everyone's tired after all these shows and fittings. But every time I go out, I just close my eyes and think, Yes, we are here for this. I can forget that I don't sleep because there's so much great energy around me. There are makeup artists and great hairdressers and designers. It's a great experience to be in the great machine of fashion.

When you come home from a job, are you one to go out and socialize or not?

I relax! Be just Mom, see my friends. I do all the stuff I never get to do because I never have time.

What kind of music are you into?

I'm kind of this old-school girl. Beatles, Nirvana. Classic and Russian music, too. I like also jazz; Louis Armstrong and Nina Simone.

What's your favorite German dish?

Veal with goulash. And schnitzel.

Where are you off to next?

Back to New York or Paris, again. I don't really know, actually. Or, is it London? I have a lot of options - oh my God.

nytimes.com

• 2 weeks later...

post-31828-0-1446087143-58811_thumb.jpg

Kati Nescher (in) After Valentino SS 2012

Check out Kati's FTV Fresh Face Countdown video for FW 12.13 in which she is ranked #1. Kati was definitely the queen of the runway this past recent season! I love hearing Kati talk. We actually rode the subway together after Miu Miu FW 12.13 on the last day of Paris Fashion Week and had a fun chat about the whole crazy month. She's such a humble, grounded, and gracious lady!

Bonaelamour