Bellazon

Heidi Klum

Guest MissIsabella

Heidi is on the cover of the latest issue of Boston Common Magazine:

post-2141-0-95707900-1416340795_thumb.jp

http://bostoncommon-magazine.com/personalities/articles/heidi-klum-opens-up-about-halloween-project-runway-unicef

post-2141-0-06190600-1416340843_thumb.jp post-2141-0-86882900-1416340843_thumb.jp

Heidi Klum Talks 'Project Runway,' Halloween, and Her Work for Unicef
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

As she visits Boston to accept the Unicef Children’s Champion award at a star-studded gala, supermodel and megawatt businesswoman Heidi Klum answers 10 questions for Boston Common that reveal what she’s learned through smarts, savvy, and leaps of faith.

It takes a hell of a lot to make Heidi Klum look ugly. Rarely mentioned as a model without the prefix “super-” appended to the word, Klum turned heads last year when she rolled up to her annual Halloween party dressed as an old hag, complete with realistic wrinkles and age spots. “I was getting a lot of questions about what it felt like to be 40, about getting older and wrinkly, so I decided I would show them!” she says gleefully. “It took hours of hair and makeup to make me look like I was a 90-year-old woman, but I loved every minute of it. I had varicose veins, my hair was all gray—it was fantastic.”

Still, she made a pretty foxy nonagenarian, classily dressed in pearls and paisley. Halloween has long been one of Klum’s favorite holidays, and 15 years ago she started throwing New York City’s most extravagant Halloween bash. But her biggest transformation over the years has been from supermodel to super-tycoon. While Klum’s modeling career was always respectable—she is well-known for her Victoria’s Secret ads and Sports Illustrated body-painting shoots—she was never as high-profile on runways and magazine covers as, say, Cindy Crawford or Kate Moss.

But from the start of her career, the 41-year-old German stunner looked to a future beyond modeling. She appeared in music videos, acted on television shows such as Spin City and Sex and the City, recorded her own Christmas album, lent her name to a branded activewear collection with New Balance and a line called Truly Scrumptious at Babies “R” Us, and hosted Deutschland’s popular TV show Germany’s Next Top Model. A native of Bergisch Gladbach, outside Cologne, Klum credits her business savvy to her father, Gunther, who cheered her career from her first big break, when she beat out 30,000 other contestants in a modeling competition in 1992. “My dad has always been a guiding force for me,” Klum says. “He used to teach me that business was like chess: You have to always think five steps ahead. And modeling is like business.”

Klum has proved to be an apt student: In 2011, Forbes magazine ranked her as the second-highest-grossing supermodel after Gisele Bündchen; the next year, the magazine took her off the list, saying she’d transitioned from “model” to “mogul.” An American citizen since 2008, Klum is probably best known today as cocreator, host, and executive producer of the reality show Project Runway, where for more than a dozen years she has buoyed the careers and dashed the hopes of a generation of budding fashion designers, winning an Emmy for her work in 2013. More recently she tried her own hand at fashion design with Truly Scrumptious and joined the panel of judges on America’s Got Talent—all while raising four children.

“I’m always juggling a few things at a time,” Klum says. “Some days you catch all the balls and some days you don’t. When I’m really stressed, I just focus on what I can do. I love wearing a lot of hats—it’s what keeps my creativity flowing.” While she never collected coins for Unicef as a child, her obsession with Halloween—the holiday most associated with the international children’s charity—made it perhaps inevitable that she would begin supporting the organization, raising hundreds of thousands of dollars at celebrity fundraisers over the years.

The day before Halloween, Boston Common caught up with Klum in Boston, where she was being honored as a “Children’s Champion” by the US Fund for Unicef, joining past honorees such as Nelson Mandela and David Ortiz.

What influenced you to become a model?
I never thought about it as a little girl. I was set to go to design school, and my friend Karen found an ad for a modeling competition in 1992. We thought it would be a fun thing to do. It never occurred to me that I might actually win. And that set off my career. From there I went to Paris, Milan, and London. As a model, I’ve always loved trying different looks.

Who are your style icons and mentors?
There are a few women, like Farrah Fawcett, Brigitte Bardot, and Marilyn Monroe, who I always love to emulate.

With so many beautiful models in the industry, why do some make it and others don’t?
As producer and host of Germany’s Next Top Model, I’m always teaching my girls what you have to do to stand out from the pack. You want to make sure you show up on time and you have a great attitude, so people want to work with you again and you continue to get booked on jobs. I’ve learned that there are only a handful of girls who work really hard and see this as a real opportunity. A lot of the girls don’t realize that it’s work when they are actually given the chance.

When did you decide that you wanted to be a businesswoman as well as a supermodel?
I always had a passion for design and saw myself working in more of a business capacity. It was always my goal to have my hand in a lot of different projects. It is really amazing because at this point in my career, I have gotten a chance to work in a variety of fields. There are still things I want to do, too.

You are the second-highest-paid supermodel after Gisele. To what do you attribute your success?
My secrets to success are coming from a good family, being at the right place at the right time, thinking outside the box, working hard, having a great, supportive team, and loving what I do. Ultimately, I think you also have to have a strong desire—to always do better than the last time, try something new, and not be afraid to fail. I never shy away from things because they are hard. I want to make things great, so if it takes a little bit of extra work, I’m not afraid of doing that.

I hear you’re obsessed with Halloween, even throwing a big Halloween bash in New York every year. What do you like so much about the holiday?
When I came to New York City, I was surprised there weren’t any really great Halloween parties, and I decided, I’m going to make that my night, and I’m going to set the bar really high and come with the craziest outfits. It’s a fun night for people to step out of their comfort zone and wear whatever makeup and hairdo they want—I always say the scarier the better.

You’ve done some pretty crazy stuff to raise money for Unicef, including singing karaoke on the song “YMCA” with Tom Hanks a while back. Whose idea was that?
It was my idea! I love karaoke. I go out with my friend [jewelry designer] Lorraine Schwartz sometimes to do it. Tom Hanks was in the audience, and I thought he would be the perfect construction worker in my YMCA group, so I just went over and popped that hat on him. He was a good sport and totally went with it. It was a great time.

Last year you took a trip to Haiti to witness Unicef’s work there. What was the most amazing or heartbreaking thing you saw?
I visited the neonatal clinic of the Hospital of the State University in Port-au-Prince. It was one of the saddest things I have ever experienced in my life. There were two rooms filled with premature infants without any proper equipment to keep the babies healthy and alive. One baby was crying and crying. Her mother had abandoned her at the clinic a few days before, and she was lying there all by herself. I asked for some milk and a blanket so I could take her out and hold her, and as soon as I picked her up she stopped crying. I held her in my arms for the rest of the day. It hurt my heart to put her back down in the crib and say goodbye. It was an experience I won’t forget.

Are there any dresses created on Project Runway you wish you could keep for yourself?
The designers on the show are so talented. We only give them a day and a very limited budget to create a look. It’s really amazing what they are able to come up with in those circumstances. There are definitely times when I think, Hey, I would wear that! And for the Creative Arts Emmys, that actually happened. It was great to be able to give our designer Sean Kelly some extra exposure, and I loved the dress.

How did it feel to win an Emmy for Project Runway?
I still can’t believe they called our names. It’s a really long ceremony, so Tim Gunn and I took a quick break to go have a glass of Champagne across the street. We were a little tipsy when we got back. It’s almost like the whole place just went silent when they called our names. I followed Tim on stage and repeated everything he said. I was like an echo. I’m proud of my Emmy—I keep it right on my

Heidi is designing men's underwear? :huh:

Heidi Klum at the Helm

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/fashion/63380699/heidi-klum-at-the-helm.html

Project Runway host and Victoria's Secret star model Heidi Klum talks about being the new ambassador for Bendon Lingerie.

Q: You're 41 and the face of Bendon Lingerie. We're now seeing more older women at the helm of fashion labels or makeup brands. Why do you think this is so?

A: I think it's about experience. I've been in the lingerie business for 20 years. I've tried on and have always had a passion for lingerie so for me at this point in my career, an intimates collection felt like a perfect fit.  I understand wanting a beautiful shape and I've gone through changes like many women. 

Q: What's the one item a woman should have in her wardrobe that transforms her? 

A: Everything starts with lingerie.  When you put on something in the morning that makes you feel great, even if no one gets to see it  you walk a little taller and feel a little sassier. During the day, a tight pair of jeans a cool T-shirt, blazer and heels do the job and for night time a short, sexy black mini dress and heels always works.  

Q: In terms of men and fashion – do you like men to have a little vanity or do you prefer that they are low key?

A: I'm thrilled to have a men's line, HKMAN, as part of the Heidi Klum Intimates collection, so my focus right now when it comes to men and fashion is their underwear.  Men are no different from women. Starting with the perfect fitting underwear is fundamental – the rest is up to their own personal style.

Saw the magazine at work today :)

Larger & better quality than previously posted. Complete editorial...

Heidi Klum Inc.

Boston Common (Issue 6) - Holiday 2014

PH: Rankin
post-2904-0-1446060414-42314_thumb.jpg post-2904-0-1446060414-45543_thumb.jpg post-2904-0-1446060414-47488_thumb.jpg post-2904-0-1446060414-49354_thumb.jpg post-2904-0-1446060414-51384_thumb.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got this Sharper Image catalog in the mail today...

post-2904-0-1446060414-40528_thumb.jpg