Bellazon

Heidi Klum

Guest MissIsabella

Interview with the Toronto Star:

http://www.thestar.com/living/fashion/arti...-to-have-it-all

Klum a model for those who want to have it all

We’re at Yorkville’s swank Hazelton Hotel and Heidi Klum is sad.

Looking like Glamazon Barbie in a red tailored pantsuit and blond ponytail, the 38-year-old, 5-foot-9 German beauty had her heart set on shopping Toronto’s mink mile, but it’s been pouring rain all morning and now she’s got a spate of media interviews to finish and a plane to catch.

“I mean this hotel is like right on the shopping street and it’s like nosebleeds in the car as I’m driving down the street,” she laments.

With all the travelling she does, you’d think she’d have had her fill of shopping. “I never have enough!” she laughs. And as one of the world’s highest earning supermodels — making an estimated $20 million last year, she’s got plenty to spend.

“Flea markets, really interesting little boutiques, department stores . . . I like to shop it all,” she explains. “That’s how I am with magazines too. I fly through them. . . . I like to see what’s out there. I like to see what people are doing.”

Klum’s natural curiosity and thirst for the visually stimulating is all part of her creative drive — an ambitious spirit that’s taken her from model to Victoria Secret icon to producer of such shows as Project Runway and Germany’s Top Model, to author (Heidi Klum’s Book of Knowledge: Eight Rules of Model Behavior) to the face of international brands to launching a jewellery, clothing and maternity lines.

Married to R&B star Seal, she gave birth to her fourth child in 2009. Evidently, Klum is adamant about having it all. And she’s certainly a poster girl for that notion. Now, she’s even got her own fragrance — a spicy, citrus scent called Shine. It could be viewed as the cherry on top of her already sumptuous career. But after conversing with Klum, I get the feeling she’s only just begun.

Jeanne: Why is it that you have decided to grab life and drink it in to this degree? It seems to us you do it all.

Heidi: Before I became a model I always wanted to be a designer. . . . I would have gone to Düsseldorf to design school. But I never got to do that because I won a modelling contest and then travelled the world as a model. Now I get to do the things that I always wanted to do. I get to design jewellery, clothes . . . and this perfume, which was another challenge. I’m also someone who loves taking on a challenge and I want to succeed. I’m passionate about that.

Jeanne: Fragrances are such a big business. But it’s so much more than just creating a fabulous product. There’s so much marketing that goes on behind it . . .

Heidi: Oh absolutely! And for me, the most important thing is to really have a product that is unique and that is beautiful to me. And then if people like it, they like it. For example when we were creating this scent, I got certain statistics about what sells and what doesn’t. A really super sweet perfume sells in certain countries more than in others. But I didn’t go down that route. I went down a route of a spicy scent, more unusual scent . . . I had to do what I love to do.

Jeanne: So it’s not necessarily just about making as much money as possible. It’s really about doing something that you believe in.

Heidi: At the end of the day you have to look in the mirror and like what you see and like what you make. Whatever I put my name on, I created it, and I’m proud of it.

Jeanne: What part of the creative process speaks to you the most? What do you enjoy the most?

Heidi: To get what I want in the end! (laughs)

Jeanne: So it’s always about the destination, not necessarily the journey?

Heidi: No. It’s about the journey and the process of getting there too. But it’s always like “No, it’s not there yet… no, it’s not there yet…” And then in the end you have to say, “Okay! Now it’s there, I’m done!” It’s the same with writing a book. . . . It’s hard to close it and say, “Okay, now print it!”

Jeanne: So you’re a perfectionist . . .

Heidi: I’m just a little bit of a pain in the booty! (laughs) I just know what I want and I try as hard as I can to get to it.

Jeanne: Well it’s important to have a vision.

Heidi: For me, a lot of it is about fantasy, creating, thinking about things that are not out there, things that I would love to have . . . but for me, it’s not very hard. . . . I get inspired quite easily. That for me is easier than other things.

Jeanne: Like what other things?

Heidi: Like reading contracts for example . . . some people love that, or having an office and doing a lot of paperwork and computer work . . . for me that’s harder. I like to draw. I like to paint. I’m very hands on. I like to make things.

Jeanne: When people say your name, a lot of different things come to mind. Gorgeous woman number one, but other things too. Because you’ve got your tentacles out there . . .

Heidi: (laughing) That sounds a little scary!

Jeanne: What would you hope that your brand stands for in people’s minds first and foremost?

Heidi: Something fun.

Jeanne: What would you hope that you stand for?

Heidi: People don’t necessarily love everything that you do. But I at the end of the day, you have to just do what you like and then people will either enjoy it or they won’t.

Jeanne: Does it surprise you when you stand back and see just how much you’ve built for yourself and what kind of a brand you’ve become?

Heidi: Sometimes I see things from 10 years ago and I’m like, “Who is that person? (laughs). Yeah, it’s been a long journey and it’s been a lot of fun. I’ve been very lucky. Sometimes I think, if I wasn’t in this industry where else would I be? Where would I fit in? What would I enjoy doing? I really am in the place where I want to be. I like to create and I like travelling the world, meeting different people everyday. I feel like I’m exactly where I’m supposed to be.

Jeanne: You seem to have struck a most exquisite balance, the kind of thing that most women really dream about, and work their butts off to try and achieve. How easy is it for you to be walking this incredible line that you’ve managed to walk?

Heidi: I think a lot of people always think that I have a major plan, and I don’t to be honest. I just live. I want to make the most out of everyday. I love my family, I do everything for my family, and even though I work a lot they will always come first. And I do anything and everything for my friends. I don’t know. . . I’m a Gemini. There are two of me!

Heidi Klum parties with daughter in Beverly Hills!

Heidi Klum attends a costume party with her daughter Leni Saturday afternoon. The two geared up for the bash earlier in the day at Sally's Discount Costume store in Santa Monica before heading over to Beverly Hills to get their groove on. Leni displayed her excitement with big smiles as she held moms hand and made her way into the shindig.

May 3, 2008

fp1243260klumdaughterfp.th.jpgfp1243256klumdaughterfp.th.jpgfp1243264klumdaughterfp.th.jpgfp1246064klumheididuo07.th.jpgfp1246068klumheididuo07.th.jpgfp1246072klumheididuo07.th.jpg

fp1246076klumheididuo07.th.jpgfp1246080klumheididuo07.th.jpgfp1246084klumheididuo07.th.jpgfp1246088klumheididuo07.th.jpg

Heidi Klum Keeps Busy With Her Little Ones!

Heidi Klum looked a tad bit tired while at a Beverly Hills park with her kids Leni, Henry and Johan on October 18, 2008. It's no wonder why! The super model mom seemed to be all over the place keeping an eye on the little ones as they bounced around the grounds! Looks like we've found out her secret in staying so fit!

fp1586367kumheidivah101.th.jpgfp1586283klumheidiznk10.th.jpgfp1586371kumheidivah101.th.jpgfp1587206clumheiditeh10.th.jpgfp1587354revklumkids101.th.jpg