Bellazon

Karolina Kurkova
Thumbnail

rosada

KAROLINA KURKOVA

Are there any particular looks you're wearing tonight?Yes, first I'm "Sexy Santa Claus."Sexy Santa

Claus, that's great.Yes, and then I'm "Sexy Soldier." And then I'm "Diamond Princess."Wow. But not "Sexy

Diamond Princess"?Oh, definitely Sexy Diamond Princess. Hot and sexy.

Perfect for the holiday season

the interview from models.com

"Everybody here is sooo young !" exclaims Karolina Kurkova, the incandescent beauty from the Czech Republic as make-up artist Jamie Melbourne applies the first swipe of her base. Half the room turns to look at her in amusement, the other half smiling in gratitude.

A sixteen year old calling the twenty and thirtysomethings gathered here today to style, paint, primp, gloss and photograph her young? So sweet! Then it dawns. The young DNA beauty has never had to go through the classic drudgery of test shoots with starving young photographers on dodgy subway platforms with the back car doubling as a changing room.

For this achingly beautiful young blonde, her career has started essentially, at the top. And life at the top to date has been with the modelmakers, the very powerful, the severely established.

Since her most recent bookings have been with power photographers like Patrick Demarchelier, Irving Penn (lensing her for American Vogue), Gilles Bensimon (highlighting her in a special Azzedine Alia story for Elle )and Enrique Badulescu (shooting her for UK Vogue, ), the motley MODELS.com crew in baggy jeans and sneakers, fiddling with scooters and skateboards must indeed look like verifiable juveniles.

For this achingly beautiful young blonde, her career has started essentially, at the top

And what has been fueling the incredible career surge of this pristine girl? The last two seasons have seen the runways, magazine pages and campaign billboards over-ran by a sea of sultry Brazilian beauties parading Spring/Summer';s 2000's saucy styles with note perfect aplomb. And while it is clear to see that The Brazilians have now become a fashion world staple, it is interesting that a new school of cooler, more classic European types have been brimming on the edges of the scene.

And perfectly positioned to provide an anticipated wave of sang froid is the wildly energetic Karolina Kurkova. "I love doing shoots," offers Karolina in her typically effervescent tone. "I love that I'm sitting here watching myself become completely different. There are some people who say it gets tiring, traveling and working all the time, but I love this so much. Everyday is so exciting...!" Suddenly she turns. Karolina's attention is shattered by the faint rumble of the hip-hop beat on the radio. "Oh My God!" she screams. "I love this song!" And with that she's off, clutching her leather blazer while hopping in time to Jay Z's now immortal opus "Big Pimpin!" (Side note: Really should do an article on the almost cult-like hold Mr Z. has over young models!") Photographer, hair and make-up stylist, chaperone and agency "baby-sitter" look on helplessly as Karolina has her moment. Ah sixteen!

But when its time to face the camera, the girl blooming softly from the Polaroids is remote, stunning and enigmatic in that great tradition forged by the likes of a Vera von Lenhdorff. It's been less than a year since she was discovered and already she has the nuances of mystery and restraint down pat. Hers is the kind of face that just about begs for a make-up campaign (and it will be doing just that in the Fall 2000 beauty.com advertorials).

At shoot's end, in the mad hustle to change and then make her next appointment (The Victoria Secret's rehearsal), Karolina's youthful excitement remains unbridled. And that compression between her sheer joy in what she does and the untouchable beauty of her pictures? That's the tension that fuels the enigma that makes for an Inevitable Girl. Watch this Karolina, she is the face of things to come.

Hers is the kind of face that just about begs for a make-up campaign

[Vogue/VH1 Model of the Year

Karolina Kurkova's

meteoric rise to the top of the modelling industry has been both spectacular and unprecedented. From the basketball courts of the Czech Republic to the runways of Milan and Paris, Karolina's drive and beauty has positioned her as the top fashion model in the industry.

Karolina was discovered in the small Czech town of Decin by Alessandro Bazzoni. After arriving in New York City in the spring of 2000, at the tender age of 15, she quickly established herself as the editorial muse of superstar photographers Steven Meisel, Mario Testino and Steven Klein.

She was the youngest cover-girl in the history of Vogue America, which crowned her "The supermodel of her generation". Karolina quickly established herself as the face that sells by becoming the top magazine cover model in the industry by following up her American Vogue cover with covers of W magazine, ID, Numero, and the British, French, German, Australian editions of Vogue.

Karolina's editorial dominance has resulted in a very successful and diverse advertising career. She has starred in a wide range of campaigns from the European edginess of Christian Dior, Helmut Lang, Valentino and Chanel to the distinctly all-American Tommy Hilfiger.

Karolina credits her success to her parents, who beyond providing her with a great set of genes instilled a dedicated work ethic. Karolina's consistent family support helps her maintain a healthy perspective on being one of the most photographed women in the world.

Karolina currently lives in New York City with her Shih-Tzu, Bela.