Bellazon

The "What Are You Thinking About Right Now?" PIP

Francesca

2 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

^

I used the wrong bug spray today and got dinged' in the face and hand..

Don't you use bug spray?

Does bug sprays actually work or have I been battling genetically engineered mutant mosquitoes all my life?

38 minutes ago, Matt! said:

Does bug sprays actually work or have I been battling genetically engineered mutant mosquitoes all my life?

Yes, "Off! Deep woods" has served me acceptably well.  It is a commonly available item in the US.  I am outdoors in the heat for up to 2 hours at once.  My yards have mosquitos and I can work there if I spray myself with this item.  I also walk through biting fly and mosquito infested areas without getting dinged.  However I feel like this item is the bare minimum.  It stops you from getting bitten but some of the more aggressive insects with still fly around your face. 

There are of course, a lot of much more expensive and powerful bug sprays but I do not use those as it is not healthy for the skin to absorb such strong chemicals.  I spray my legs and my arms.

81jhr9QYzlL._AC_SX679_.jpg

However, this one was a partial failure.  It is one of the weaker bug sprays.  I used it today, for the first time in years... it only protected my legs.

1 minute ago, Cult Icon said:

Yes, "Off! Deep woods" has served me acceptably well.  It is a commonly available item in the US.  I am outdoors in the heat for up to 2 hours at once.  My yards have mosquitos and I can work there if I spray myself with this item.  I also walk through biting fly and mosquito infested areas without getting dinged.  However I feel like this item is the bare minimum.  It stops you from getting bitten but some of the more aggressive insects with still fly around your face. 

There are of course, a lot of much more expensive and powerful bug sprays but I do not use those as it is not healthy for the skin to absorb such strong chemicals.  I spray my legs and my arms.

81jhr9QYzlL._AC_SX679_.jpg

However, this one was a partial failure.  It is one of the weaker bug sprays.  I used it today, for the first time in years... it only protected my legs.

Oh wow. I’ve tried several brands in the past and they all have failed me eventually. They wear off quickly and the mosquitoes keep feasting after 5-10 minutes, and I don’t think they’re supposed to be added every 10 mins. 

Maybe I should get one of these zappers instead 

5BD8CDEA-79BD-4BCA-A3CD-50004C51A65A.thumb.gif.b3d866a03e0a95462d873eb9ef590479.gif

Just now, Matt! said:

Oh wow. I’ve tried several brands in the past and they all have failed me eventually. They wear off quickly and the mosquitoes keep feasting after 5-10 minutes, and I don’t think they’re supposed to be added every 10 mins. 

Maybe I should get one of these zappers instead 

Sweat will immediately lower their protective qualities.  The bog standard "Off! Familycare" seems to have failed once my arms were soaked with sweat.  However the Deep Woods are more sticky and in my experience last up to the 2 hr mark, albeit their efficiency declines the more I sweat.  I have noticed that small (non-biting) insects land on my arm and die there...

You live in a swamp? 

Do you apply enough spray?  I spray a lot, and then use my hands to spread the liquid around, then I wash my hands.  I found that this is important as if you leave gaps, the insects can bite the gaps if the gaps are large enough...

12 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

^

I used the wrong bug spray today and got dinged' in the face and hand..

Don't you use bug spray?

Bug spray, mosquito plugs, mosquito coils... nothing works against these savages, particularly the tiger mosquito. This bastard is a fuken kamikaze. If you wave your arm in front of it, it doesn't get scared like normal mosquitoes. It will bite the shit out of you no matter what :ermm:

In Paris, it's alright, but in the South of France, they've been super aggro this year. 

Oh and mosquitoes tend to adapt to bug spray.... like cockroaches. The 1st generations die, but then the new ones are resistant :/

But the worst of the worst are politicians who are against killing bugs because "animals are our friends" :banghead:

Like here in Strasbourg, where the city council said we should be "nice" against rats and bedbugs. They even invented new words in order to avoid calling them "pests" :banghead:

Spoiler