Bellazon

Jennifer Hawkins
Thumbnail

red_ed

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

PLUCKY BOY GETS MISS UNIVERSE DREAM DATE

Sydney(Reuters)- A plucky australian schoolboy who asked a former Miss Universe to his school dance, only to be rebuffed, has finally had his dream date over lunch.

Daniel Dibley,17, needed a partner for his school dance in the Australian country town of Bathurst, west of Sydney, and he decided to aim high.

He wrote to Australia's best known beauty queen, Jennifer Hawkins, to ask her to the dance, and was stunned when the 2004 Miss Universe accepted.

But in a decision that would break a schoolboys heart, Hawkins later pulled out of the date because the overwhelming publicity had overshadowed plans for the end of year dance, which is for students in their final year of high school.

Instead, the seven television network said Hawkins visited Dibley's Bathrust High School on Tuesday for a private lunch with Daniel, and to speak to the school assembly, where she apologized for all the fuss.

"I didn't want you guys to think I didn't want to come to Bathurst, or I didn't want to come to the formal(dance)" Hawkins, now a television presenter, told the school assembly.

"I did. It just became to big. I just wanted a low-key thing."

post-3782-1160405530_thumb.jpg

post-3782-1160405548_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...