Bellazon

Angelina Jolie
Thumbnail

Dennis

The Angelina Jolie Effect

post-17383-1229249632_thumb.jpg

Angelina Jolie has gone from wild child to A-list actor, Earth mother and a serious humanitarian

Angelina Jolie, Oscar-winning mega-celebrity, companion of Brad Pitt and mother of six - including five-month-old twins - is crouched over a breast pump in a hotel room. "I was just pumping," she says, by way of introduction. "It's such a funny thing to do, like a dairy cow."

Right now, her twins, Knox and Vivienne, are safely stashed somewhere in New York City, while Jolie is in a suite at the Waldorf Astoria. Pitt has the rest of the brood - Maddox, 7, Pax, 5, Zahara, 3, and Shiloh, 2 - in Berlin, where he's shooting Quentin Tarantino's Inglorious Bastards.

"Neither of us is allowed all the kids at once, because the other one gets lonely."

Jolie, 33, seems so familiar from magazine covers and billboards that it's almost disconcerting meeting her in person.

She's often portrayed as a saint-like figure in a sweeping empire-line frock, with a clutch of adorable urchins balanced on her hip and her handsome beau careening into the scene on a dusty dirt bike. Or else, she's clutching a gun, ready to shoot.

Today, there are no weapons and no brood. But there's no mistaking her.

There are the grey-green eyes, pillow-like lips, almost translucent complexion and inky tattoos peeking out from under her cream silk Ralph Lauren dress.

Clint Eastwood, director of her current release Changeling, describes her as having "one of the more striking faces on the planet".

Jolie is seated, poker-straight, on a maroon couch with tatty cushions between us and a nibbled biscuit on the table.

She's here to talk about the true story set in Prohibition-era Los Angeles. Jolie plays single mum Christine Collins, whose son, Walter, disappears.

Looking for good publicity, the police department reunites her with her 'son' who is, in fact, a drifter kid from Iowa looking for a free trip to California.

Collins confronts the police, insisting the child isn't who they say he is, and ends up being slandered as an unfit mother. Her only hope comes in the form of community activist Reverend Gustav Briegleb (played by John Malkovich).

Halfway through the film, the storyline shifts to include serial killer Gordon Northcott and the infamous Wineville chicken coop murders.

Northcott kidnapped and killed 20 young boys between 1928 and 1930, and it's highly likely Christine Collins' son was among those slain.

"I'd heard it was a wonderful script," says Jolie, "in that Collins was an extraordinary woman.

"I wanted to know the story and couldn't put it down.

"Then I thought, I never want to do a film like that. I didn't sleep well that night; I couldn't get the thought of anything happening to my kids out of my mind."

A film about child murders might seem an odd choice for someone who's such a devoted mother, but Jolie says it was the bond between the character and her son that attracted her to the plot.

"(There's) the other side of it; the fight this woman had and the idea of justice and never giving up hope. Instead of being upsetting, it became this inspiring story.

"I thought making the film was a final piece of justice for her; I suddenly found myself wanting to tell it."

There's a scene towards the end where Collins' workmates invite her to a bar to listen to a radio broadcast of the Academy Awards.

She has a bet on It Happened One Night winning best picture, which you can't help but view as a sly nod at an Oscar.

Does she think Changeling stands a chance of winning? "I never think that," she says, "because, in the end, you just have to make a film you love."

As a director, Eastwood is something of a king-maker - think Hilary Swank in Million Dollar Baby.

"For me, Clint was the big deal," Jolie says. "Just being able to work with somebody I've admired so much and then to meet him - he was everything I hoped he'd be."

It says something of Jolie's character that she has no agent or publicist, and her manager, Geyer Kosinski, has been with her since she was 19.

"He's my friend. He kind of handles everything." (It was Kosinski who introduced Jolie to Billy Bob Thornton.)

After so many years in the industry, Jolie (or is it Kosinski?) certainly knows how to play the fame game.

"Every time you do a movie, you should do a magazine," she says, matter-of-factly.

For Changeling, there's a spread in the high-end US magazine W, photographed by Pitt using Kodak Tech Pan film - which hasn't been manufactured for four years (the rolls were found on eBay and sourced from Israel).

"He's a real artist, more so than me. He has an amazing eye and is a real student of art," she says.

On the magazine's cover, Jolie is pictured breastfeeding, and there's a glimpse of a tiny hand. "I'd just given birth to the twins and was feeling very private at home.

I couldn't imagine a stranger coming in and me putting on a bunch of outfits.

So I loved these photographs so much." In the portfolio, there are silhouettes of Jolie's body, and close-ups of her pulling silly faces and tottering in heels with Zahara.

"It was a great experience to work together," she says.

"It's important for couples to find projects outside of the children."

What else do two of the most impossibly glamorous and famous people on the planet do together?

"We both fly planes, but we haven't done that in a long time because we've been busy. We talk about the motorcycle trips we want to take in the future. We both want to get back to painting.

"We take French class together. We used to have date nights - now we have date hours," she laughs.

There was another set of photos taken at the family compound in the south of France - the first pictures of her twins - that sold for $22 million to People and Hello! (two years earlier, pictures of Shiloh sold for $6.3 million).

The money raised went to the Jolie-Pitt Foundation, which supports health clinics in Ethiopia and Cambodia, rebuilds Iraqi schools and counsels children of US military killed in Iraq and Afghanistan, among other causes.

When asked about the staggering sum paid for images of her children, she says, "I try not to think about it too much."

In the million-dollar photos, Jolie is wearing no make-up and her nursing bra strap is showing. "I couldn't be bothered getting dressed.

Before they took the pictures, Brad and I attempted to clean our room and we were like, 'Argh!'" She throws her hands up in the air.

"We were trying to pull ourselves together. But, at the same time, you don't want to change yourself."

Truth, it seems, is Jolie's shield. She once told a Vogue journalist, "You can ask me anything."

These days, I wonder if she still feels so free. "I answer every question honestly, or I don't answer at all, because I have to remain open, for myself.

"But I'm more aware of a leading question looking for something trashy, or somebody who isn't going to listen to what I say."

Seven years ago, Jolie began a daily record on the United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) website about her journey to Sierra Leone, Tanzania, Cambodia and Pakistan.

Her postings were collected in a book, Notes from My Travels (Pocket Books). She has no plans for another book, but has been working on some newspaper editorials.

"It helps me focus my thoughts," she says.

Of her travels, Jolie says, "I love any new place. Obviously my sons' and daughters' countries are special, but Sierra Leone was the first country I ever went to with the UN - there'll always be something about West Africa.

"To this day, it was the most brutal (country) I've seen - the cutting off of limbs as a form of aggression was just so horrendous. I completely changed as a person."

In 2005, at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, Jolie met with Peter Gabriel, musician and co-founder of Witness, a human rights advocacy group.

She was interested in his organisation's work in Sierra Leone and joined the group in a meeting with former president Ahmad Kabbah to advocate for the implementation of Sierra Leone's Truth and Reconciliation Commission's findings.

"She really does want to use her celebrity for good," says Suvasini Patel, communications manager for Witness.

"She recognises its power and potential, and is willing to use it where appropriate to shine a spotlight on terrible human rights atrocities."

Patel goes on to describe Jolie as "smart, thoughtful, generous and incredibly dedicated to our cause".

Still, there was a time when the actor was better known as a bad-ass babe, wearing a vial of her second husband's blood around her neck and kissing her brother passionately on the red carpet.

The beginning of her relationship with Pitt was played out against his divorce from actor Jennifer Aniston.

But, despite the public's obsession with the couple, Jolie has always done her own thing, found her own truth.

Right now, her mission is working with the UNHCR and being a mum to six.

That number may well rise, though she says she plans to wait until the twins are six months old before adopting again.

Being a mum clearly suits her; she tells cute stories about her kids: "You hear them giggling and scrambling and making plans together in the middle of the night."

And the excuses they make about not going to bed: "Our seven-year-old, Mad, writes letters now. He'll write these really long, extended letters that he'll slip under our door.

"'Hi Mum and Dad, I don't want you to be mad, I'm just walking around. I can't sleep. I hope it's OK. If you feel like visiting me' It just goes on and on."

She rolls her eyes. "We're so thrilled he's using his language and writing letters, so we write in reply."

Jolie's next project is the CIA thriller Salt, which originally had Tom Cruise in the lead. After Cruise dropped out over creative differences, Jolie's interest in the project prompted the studio to rewrite the screenplay for a female star.

The film's director is Australian Phillip Noyce (Dead Calm, Rabbit-Proof Fence). "I love him," she says. "Phillip is such an extraordinary man and a great director.

He has a strong way about him. He seems like he's being quiet and lovely, and yet, he's dictating everything."

The most curious film in Jolie's repertoire is an upcoming adaptation of Russian-born American Ayn Rand's cult novel, Atlas Shrugged.

Jolie is lined up to play Dagny Taggart, heiress to the Taggart Transcontinental railroad, whose business is crumbling as society disintegrates.

"It's been hard to develop the script, because studios look at three pages of speech and say you can't have that much talking. And anybody who's a fan of this (work), knows you can't cut certain speeches."

It was a few years ago when Jolie became interested in Rand's controversial writing, famous for its strong views on sex and gender.

"You'd hear different things and wonder, who said that? Oh! That was her, again," she says. "I don't agree with everything, but there's a great deal I do agree with."

In Atlas Shrugged, characters are attracted to people who hold the same values. Is this something Jolie sees in her relationship with Pitt?

"I think there's something in that, absolutely. That's why, when you're younger, you don't understand sex as much. I know I finally found someone who" she breaks off, searching for the right words.

"We agree where we stand, what we believe in, what our values are. We don't agree 100 per cent on everything, but we support each other where it counts. That's why everything else between us is so strong."

Source: http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,2...80-2902,00.html

Brad Pitt Gushes About Kids, Falling in Love With Angelina

Brad Pitt is learning a thing or two from his partner Angelina Jolie and their six kids, like how to use an iPod correctly.

"They're so beyond me in technology, it's hard to keep up,” he tells Rolling Stone. “Our seven-year-old was searching the word 'weapons' on Google the other day and ended up on some white-supremacist site. I'm sure now we're on all kinds of watch lists."

Gracing the magazine’s cover (which comes out Dec. 12), Pitt, 44, makes several revelations about his family life and his work as an actor.

The “Benjamin Button” star, whose performance in the film has garnered serious Oscar buzz as well as several award nominations, says his favorite film that his partner Angelina Jolie made has to be “Mr. and Mrs. Smith.”

“Because, you know … six kids. Because I fell in love.”

The actor also defended Jolie’s character, saying that a New York Times article that depicted her as “manipulative” was unfair.

“I get defensive. [They're] talking about not only the woman I love, but one of the people on this planet who I have the greatest respect for. I think she's as honorable as anyone I've ever met."

And Pitt is taking care to ensure that he spends as much time enjoying his life with his family.

"Angie and I do not fight anymore," he says. "What occurred to me on this film, and also with the passing of her mother [actress Marcheline Bertrand in 2007], is that there's going to come a time when I'm not going to get to be with this person anymore. I'm not going to get to be with my children anymore. Or friends, people I love and respect. And so, if we have a flare-up, it evaporates now."

Source: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,465086,00.html

Brad's family make Christmas gifts

42362642qn2.png

Brad Pitt said his family give home-made gifts at Christmas

Brad Pitt says his family exchange home-made gifts rather than big or expensive ones.

And his children do not watch much American cartoon television, which he believes is packed with "manipulative" adverts.

The actor, who is raising six children with Angelina Jolie, was answering questions from Hello! magazine about his Christmas holiday plans. The couple have twins Vivienne Marcheline and Knox Leon, a daughter named Shiloh and adopted siblings Maddox, Zahara and Pax.

Pitt, one of the biggest stars in Hollywood, said: "We do exchange gifts, although we don't feel any pressure to make them big or expensive gifts.

"And the kids don't ask for big gifts for the reason that they don't see a lot of the American cartoon television, which is packed with all those manipulative commercials for big toys that look so fantastic.

"When they do see that stuff is when they start asking for the toys, so we figure if they don't see them they won't know they're there. So we have gifts, but we try to keep the money spent to a minimum.

"The rule is that everyone's got to make something for someone else, you got to put time into it. Then, when they give to each other, it's really sweet. The gift-giving is a very nice time for us."

Pitt told the magazine his children have embraced the idea that they come from different countries.

He said: "As they're getting older, we've been coming up with some idea for a ceremony for everyone around this time, but right now, it's still at the ideas stage."

Speaking about his family life, Pitt said cheerfully: "We haven't found any reason to stop yet. It's chaos at times but there's also such joy in our house right now. I look down at the family and I see our boy from Vietnam (Pax) and our daughter from Ethiopia (Zahara) and our girl's from Namibia (Shiloh was born there) and our son who's from Cambodia (Maddox), and...they are all brothers and sisters, man."

Source: http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/a...FZfWG6sbSSDMIZA

Hugh Hefner Wants Angelina Jolie for Playboy

Hugh on who he would like to pose for Playboy:

“Either Angelina Jolie or Scarlett Johansson.”

Source: http://www.hollyscoop.com/hugh-hefner/hugh...yboy_18762.aspx

Oh, I do hope it's not Angie. She's far too classy for Playboy now, he should've asked her some 15 years ago when she did those Rolling Stone Magazine stuff.

But I don't think Scarlett Jo will do it either. :laugh:

Anyway, thanks again for the interviews, Meghan - I don't know if anyone except me reads all those stuff, but I love it!