Bellazon

Camila Alves
Thumbnail

People.com 12/06/2012

How Baby Is Affecting Camila McConaughey’s Bag-Making

Currently expecting her third child with husband Matthew McConaughey, Camila McConaughey says she’s experiencing pregnancy brain — but in a bit of a different way.

“I have to be careful when I’m pregnant, because my taste level changes,” the handbag designer tells PEOPLE. “To the point where, when I’m not pregnant, I’m like, ‘Did I really like that?’”

In fact, pregnancy makes the newlywed‘s designing duties somewhat difficult. “It takes me longer [to create bags] when I’m pregnant than when I’m not pregnant, just because I need to make sure that I’m being true to what I like — and that it’s not just the hormones talking.”

Though she’s still pregnant, McConaughey recently made a delivery of another kind. The Brazilian model — who designs every item with her mother under the label Muxo — just released new shoulder bags and clutches, calling them a “treat” for her fans.

“We were already working on a big launch for the first trimester of next year, but we had a lot of customers asking us for something special,” she shares. “So we decided to put a little taste of what we’ve been working on out there for them to see, as a way of saying ‘thank you.’”

The inspiration for this latest round of looks was what’s going on in the fashion world today, McConaughey says. But she kept the holidays in mind, too.

“I still had a little fun with color,” she shares. “We’re mixing natural tones with bright colors — it adds a little fun.”

All of Muxo’s handbags are 100 percent handmade and feature leather that’s imported from Brazil. McConaughey and her mother generally create every sample, then work with their team to produce larger quantities once designs are approved. “It’s a lot of intricate work that goes into every bag,” she says.

And though the mother-daughter duo is always excited to see a star wearing a Muxo bag, McConaughey says it’s not about a celebrity presence. “I don’t want to design for just one specific type of woman,” she says. “Every single woman should be able to go on our website and find something she likes.”

44KE65GYL1_camila_interview.jpg

You might recognize Camila Alves as the super-hot mom/model (her Hubby is the equally hot Matthew McConaughey). These days Ms. Alves is gaining praise for her handbag label MUXO and a new tunic collection. She truly puts family first, her design and business partner is none other than her own Mom.

In contrast to your typical "celebrity" handbag line, Camila and her mother originally started their own handbag line for same reasons as many other designers. They wanted to make money together and be able to send funds home to their family. In the early days, the two of them would work late into the night to stitch, hammer and apply trim themselves to make their bags by hand.

Ms. Fabulous editor Mariana Leung chats with Camila about her fashion journey:

Ms. FABulous: Who were your style icons growing up?

Camila Alves: I think my mother was definitely an influential part of my style growing up. She’s always had a cool sophisticated air about her that translates in our designs.

MsF: Has being a parent changed how you work as an entrepreneur and designer?

C.A.: Absolutely! I need things to not only be chic, but also effortless and able to be work for different outfits and occasions.

MsF: You design your handbag collection with your mother. While you are well known for your modeling work in the fashion industry, did either of you have previous design experience or was it a mutual love of style that brought you together for this collection?

C.A.: I feel like I have been in the fashion my whole life! From my modeling career to watching my mother who has 3 degrees in design and arts!

MsF: The collection features Brazilian leather and handcrafted workmanship. How involved were you in the decisions of choosing the materials and directing how they were to be made?

C.A.: I’m completely involved in the creative process. I wanted to create a line that I could nurture and grow be proud of, and that meant that I needed to be involved from conception to execution.

MsF: What inspired you to add tunics to your label? Is there a plan for a full clothing line?

C.A.: I wanted to expand from the handbags and tunics worked naturally because just like the bags, it’s something that works for all women of different sizes and ages. No plans just yet, but we’ll see what else comes to mind!

MsF: What was the most unexpected thing you learned in creating your own fashion label?

C.A.: I was surprised at how easily something can come to life when you’re passionate about . And also how you actually influence people and provide them with special experiences thru your product and creation!

MsF: What is the most special tradition you have for the holidays?

C.A.: Getting the whole family together and having a sit down meal and acknowledging how blessed we are to have each other!

MsF: Thank you and happy holidays!

http://www.msfabulous.com/2012/12/fab-exlusive-interview-with-camila-alves.html

“Camila (@iamcamilaalves) gave birth to our third child yesterday morning,” the Dallas Buyers Club star wrote on WhoSay. “Our son, Livingston Alves McConaughey was born at 7:43am on 12.28.12. He greeted the world at 9lbs. and 21 inches. Bless up and thank you for your well wishes. Happy New year, and just keep livin, Camila and Matthew McConaughey.”

• 3 weeks later...

Latina.com

Matthew McConaughey Won’t Change Diapers -- What Does That Mean for Camila Alves?

Matthew McConaughey is not ready for diaper duty!

When a reporter at Monday night's New York Film Critics Circle Awards dinner asked the "Magic Mike" star if he's on diaper duty yet, the 43-year-old actor told reporters: "I was there this morning, so I guess I am running home. But I'm not changing the diapers."

When asked who is changing them? He replied, “Somebody.” Hmmm. Wonder if that somebody is wife Camila Alves, who gave birth to their third child, son Livingston, 12 days ago. Hopefully for Alves, McConaughey was kidding.

Oh and about the name? Staying true to their cool kid monikers—Levi, Vida—the couple chose Livingston (which means “dear friend's place”) for its old English charm.

“At the time they were giving a lot of names by what your occupation was,” McConaughey told E! “Like Baker came from a person who was actually a baker. He’s living," he said.

Celebrity Baby Scoop

Matthew McConaughey: Life With 3 Kids Is “More Of Circus”

With their third child Livingston arriving last month, actor Matthew McConaughey and his wife Camila Alves definitely have a full house these days. “It’s getting to be more of circus that’s for sure!” the Mud star says, adding that his busy family life has shifted his priorities.

“When you’ve got family, you have to pick your extra-curriculars. Whoever has kid knows that, man. You have to pick and choose and go wait, which is the one I really want to do because I ain’t watching all the Saturday’s football and I’m not watching all of Sunday’s,” says Matthew, who is also dad to kids Levi and Vida. “I’m not going to be a kayaker, a snow skier and a marathon runner. No, you gotta zero in when you got kids and a family.”

While dad-of-three Ben Affleck has moved behind the lens to take on a directing and producing role recently, Matthew says he has no plans to give up his current day job.

“I’m really enjoying being an actor for hire,” he explains. “I’ve been offered to produce some things and I’ve said, ‘No thank you.’… I’m really enjoying my time getting ready for a role, my man, my characters, going to work, doing my best to nail it, finishing work and going, ‘That was a beautiful time. Thank you. See you down the road. I’m going back to my family.’”

Celebrity baby scoop

Camila Alves Steps Out With The Kids

Mom-of-three Camila Alves had all three kids in tow as she headed to lunch in New Orleans, Louisiana over the weekend (January 26). The model mama held on to Levi and Vida‘s hands while their baby brother Livingston stayed tucked in the baby carrier.

The day before Camila, who looks great just a month after she and her husband Matthew McConaughey welcomed baby #3, was spotted dropping her older kids off at school.

FFN_Alves_C_School_EXC_FF2RAK_01261.jpg

FFN_Alves_C_School_EXC_FF2RAK_01261-2.jp

FFN_Alves_C_EXC_FF2RAK_012613_51000.jpg

camillia-alves-kids-lunch_1004.jpg