Bellazon

Leonardo DiCaprio - (Please Read First Post Prior to Posting)
Thumbnail

moiselles

Fash

Thanks for news abour Lukas' return. Gee, too bad Pami and I couldn't sneak on the plane that brought him over before it headed back to Sydney :p

ByPrincess

I'm confident that no one will ever be able to keep you from talking and hopefully continuing to find great pix of Leo for us :wave:

Pami

I know that no one stands in the way of Pami and her fave shoulders (Y)

YEAH, FINALLY NEW PICS.

Leonardo DiCaprio: Having A Great Time with 'Gatsby'

Leonardo DiCaprio gets close to Carey Mulligan on the set of The Great Gatsby on Friday (December 2) in Sydney, Australia.

The 37-year-old actor, wearing a full tuxedo suit, and Carey, in a sparkly formal gown, were joined by co-star Tobey Maguire.

Leo recently told Access Hollywood that The Great Gatsby is being filmed in 3D!

“It’s the great American novel…I’m having a great time with the material for sure,” Leo said about playing the leading role in the iconic story.

the pics:

http://justjared.buzznet.com/photo-gallery...reat-gatsby-01/

From latest issue of Hollywood Reporter

Ratings gold? The Academy may be looking at the best-looking field of best actors in history.

At 84, Oscar may no longer be a stud, but he still hangs out with a pretty studly crew. At least that could be the case this year if, as the bloggerati are predicting, a particularly handsome lineup of leading men is nominated for best actor. And that, in turn, could help the Oscar broadcast's efforts to fend off further ratings decline.

The contest is fluid -- nominations won't be announced until Jan. 24 -- but the consensus has George Clooney, for his beleaguered dad in The Descendants, and Leonardo DiCaprio, for his embittered FBI director in J. Edgar, at the top of the list. Brad Pitt is a strong contender for the casual ease with which he steps into the shoes of baseball GM Billy Beane in Moneyball. And a couple of relative newcomers have become early favorites: Germany-born, London-based Michael Fassbender, who fearlessly lets it all hang out in the NC-17 Shame, and French matinee idol Jean Dujardin, who pours on the charm as a fading star in the silent movie The Artist.

It's a lineup straight out of the GQ Men of the Year Awards by way of People's Sexiest Man Alive cover -- Clooney and Pitt are two-time titleholders. (There's even an outside chance fellow SMA Matt Damon could join them for We Bought a Zoo.) It's not a typical Academy roundup if only because the Oscars tend to underrate the work of a lot of the best-looking leading men. Big-screen smoothies, they can make it look too easy; they often appear in action films or romantic comedies that aren't considered awards-worthy and steer clear of the showy transformations the Academy favors. That's one reason DiCaprio, who was ignored for his clean-cut earnestness in Titanic, is now being applauded for donning all that aging makeup in J. Edgar. It's all the more impressive that Clooney and Pitt are being taken seriously this year because neither adopts a thick accent or funny mustache to play his part.

Now all of that would just be something for fan sites to gush over if it also didn't have ratings implications.

The Academy might have breathed a sigh of relief when Billy Crystal agreed to emcee the show in the wake of Eddie Murphy's departure. But Crystal, who hasn't hosted since 2004, is 63, making him the second-oldest solo host since a 74-year-old Bob Hope fronted the show in 1978. And that's not going to make the young girls swoon.

There's also a question of how widespread the appeal of the movies nominated for best picture will be when the show is broadcast Feb. 26. When noms were announced last awards season, there were two mega-grossers: Toy Story 3 ($415 million domestic) and Inception ($293 million). But this year, with only five nominees guaranteed, it's an open question whether 2011's top-grossing movie, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2, will make the cut. The closest thing to a popular nominee right now is the all-girl The Help, which has collected $168 million domestically.

But if the best-picture nominees are short on crowd-pleasers, a posse of hot actors could provide ratings insurance. Certainly, it would help the surrounding media industry that feeds into the Oscars. "It's an exciting possibility that George Clooney, Brad Pitt and Matt Damon, the men from the Ocean's movies, could all be on the red carpet together competing for best actor," says Entertainment Tonight executive producer Linda Bell Blue. "And they all play strong men with backbone, which is what female moviegoers are looking for."

Backstage issue cover

post-52324-0-1446081543-4253_thumb.jpg

post-52324-0-1446081543-43387_thumb.jpg

I've reposted the Backstage interview ( I originally posted earlier this week ) here

Leonardo DiCaprio on Embodying J. Edgar Hoover

By Jenelle Riley

November 23, 2011

Leonardo DiCaprio has been a star for so long, it can be easy to forget he is also an actor—an amazing one at that. He is an instinctive talent whose first major film role was opposite Robert De Niro in "This Boy's Life" and who earned his first Oscar nomination at 19 for his flawless portrait of Johnny Depp's mentally challenged brother in "What's Eating Gilbert Grape." Although the 1997 phenomenon "Titanic" turned him into a worldwide celebrity, DiCaprio never took on the kind of easy paychecks that might have tempted others. Even from a young age, he seemed determined to seek roles that challenged him personally and paired him with top filmmakers—Steven Spielberg, Martin Scorsese, and Clint Eastwood heading the list.

But it often seemed that even though DiCaprio is beloved by the masses, his most solid work has gone unnoticed. He was praised for lending his star power to "Inception," Christopher Nolan's art house film disguised as a big-budget blockbuster. Yet his heartbreaking performance remained largely underrated. Accolades and awards are often lavished on his co-stars, be it Daniel Day-Lewis in "Gangs of New York" or Kate Winslet in "Titanic" and "Revolutionary Road," while DiCaprio has consistently made his job look easy.

Instead, DiCaprio is an inherently talented actor who studies and prepares intensely for his roles. His abilities are currently on display as the title character in "J. Edgar," a biopic about FBI head J. Edgar Hoover (1895–1972), whose contributions to crime fighting might be overshadowed only by his controversial tactics. For that role in the Eastwood-directed film, the actor took a fraction of his $20 million fee and studied every angle of trivia, including assertions that Hoover was gay and a cross-dresser. It's a bravura performance, one that's sure to net him his fourth Academy Award nomination, if not the win. After all, DiCaprio gets the golden trifecta as Hoover: He gets to play gay, age 50 years, and die.

Back Stage: You started in commercials at a young age; at what point did you realize acting was a career?

Leonardo DiCaprio: I've used this quote before, but I really mean it: I always felt like being an actor was an elite club I never really belonged to. My stepbrother was an actor in commercials and TV shows all throughout my youth, and I loved acting. I loved imitating people I loved drama class; I loved joking around with my parents and creating different characters. I liked doing my own little homemade skits. I always wanted to be an actor, but no agent would accept me for many years. I tried to go to many different agents, and they didn't want to accept me. I think because I was break dancing at the time and had a weird, punkish haircut and dressed like a street kid.

Back Stage: When did you finally get a foothold in the business?

DiCaprio: I finally got accepted by an agent when I was 12 or 13 years old. If it wasn't for the fact I lived in Hollywood, I don't think I would be an actor. I grew up in the heart of Hollywood, on Hollywood and Western, for the first nine years of my life. It was kind of Prostitution Alley back then. But I got to go to this really wonderful school, which was University Elementary School, UES, which is a magnate program of UCLA. They accepted me on scholarship. So my mom sacrificed her time every day driving from Hollywood to Westwood, stuck in traffic every day. It would be a 45-minute ride there and back every day; she had to pick me up because the bus didn't go there. And when I started to be an actor, she let me go on auditions and would drop me off. If I was born in Ohio and had the dream of being an actor, I don't think I'd be here today. Financially, we couldn't have uprooted and moved here.

Back Stage: Well, it might have happened; it just would have taken longer, don't you think?

DiCaprio: To be honest, I think that life is a series of being incredibly prepared for that one opportunity. And that one opportunity may have never come along for me, you know? I had that one opportunity with "This Boy's Life," and I was lucky enough to have gotten that role. I was in the right place at the right time.

Back Stage: Is it true Robert De Niro handpicked you for the role of his stepson in "This Boy's Life"?

DiCaprio: It was the director, Michael Caton-Jones, and De Niro. It was a very coveted role, there were hundreds of kids auditioning for it, and it came down to the wire with myself, Tobey [Maguire], and one or two other kids. I just got lucky that day. We did this final audition with De Niro and Michael, and luckily, they saw something in me. I believe it was De Niro who said they should go with me, but you'd have to ask him that question; I don't know exactly how that went down. And when you ask him, I'd love to hear the answer! [Laughs.]

Back Stage: Is there anything that stands out about that audition that might have helped you snag the role?

DiCaprio: I remember screaming at De Niro in the audition. We did a scene where he's ramming a mustard jar in my eye and yelling at me, and I remember he was getting really intense with me because, you know, the character is an abusive father. He was getting in my face, and I remember yelling at him. It wasn't in the script; it was improvised. And then there was sort of a chuckle in the room; I remember them laughing and not really understanding why they were laughing. I think it was because he got me really angry, and they liked how I responded. That's what my memory serves, but his could be a completely different interpretation. They could have sat there and said, "Wow, this kid's ridiculous, but let's give him a shot."

Back Stage: You were working with icons like De Niro at an early age, which had to be intimidating. By that same token, are you aware of how you might be intimidating to some of your co-stars?

DiCaprio: I definitely can see how people in the public eye can make others comfortable or uncomfortable, and I try my best to let things sort of happen naturally—on set and in life, too. I don't think about it that much, because I do consider myself a pretty relatively normal human being, although my life is incredibly bizarre. I sometimes try to figure out how people perceive me, but it's something you can never truly understand. I know how I feel amongst people who are in the public eye, and there's always a little bit of wariness around them—it's like there's an elephant in the room. So I try my best not to think about that type of thing, or I could be endlessly trying to figure it out.

Back Stage: Because you are a celebrity, do you ever feel you don't get the respect you deserve as an actor?

DiCaprio: I think that it's incredibly important to listen to criticism. I consider myself what I consider myself, and that is somebody that's always trying to be better. No matter what anybody thinks about my work, I'm constantly trying to improve, and I really do care about what I do on a very deep level, and it does affect my life on a very deep level. It is my life's passion. I'm very lucky to know this is something I wanted to do ever since I was very young. It's my earliest memory. And I feel fortunate for that. With every role that I've chosen or every movie I've been a part of, I always think about the unbelievable accomplishments of actors and directors in the past and how many great performances have been given, and how many great films there have been in cinema's history. And I have a great amount of respect for that. So I suppose my endless, unattainable goal is to do something that is as good as I see in cinema's past. And I don't know if I will ever, on a personal level, believe that I have accomplished that. I don't know if I'll ever sit here and see a film and say, "This is absolutely everything I ever dreamed of on a personal or cinematic level." But that's what sort of drives me. When I was 15 and I got that part in "This Boy's Life," I sat for a year and just watched every damn movie I possibly could, and I was just awestruck by what's been accomplished. From first seeing Jimmy Cagney in "Public Enemy," all the way to some of the great actors of today, there have been so many great performances.

Back Stage: From a young age, you've made interesting choices in your roles. Were you operating on instinct, or did you have a plan for your career?

DiCaprio: From the beginning, I considered it an honor, and I still do, just to be able to do what I do professionally. I never forget I came from a group of young actors, and not everyone gets to be so lucky to do what we do. It's a huge honor, and something I don't want to disrespect. I remember my second movie being "Gilbert Grape" I remember having the opportunity to do another type of movie at that time—I think it was "Hocus Pocus"—and I was offered more money than I ever dreamed of in my life in one go. But there was something about that role in "Gilbert Grape" that made me say, "You know what? I'm going to pass on this and go for this other role." I don't know quite where that came from as a 16-year-old kid, but seeing all those movies in that time period made me really want to play that Arnie Grape character. And for whatever reason, I was just hooked at that point.

Back Stage: Have you ever taken acting classes or worked with a coach?

DiCaprio: I took junior high and high school drama class. From a young age, I read a lot of books about the Meisner technique and Stanislavsky. But I never reconnected with it until I got to start working with Larry Moss in my 20s. Larry's class is an amazing one. He takes it from a psychological level of conquering your own fears and fighting your inhibitions and taking chances. We all have these emotions we carry around within us, but to be able to release them as an actor is fundamental. Acting and psychology are two sides of the same coin for him.

Back Stage: What was the first film you worked with him on, and do you still work with him?

DiCaprio: "The Aviator." And I consult with him all the time. If it's not a series of meetings, I always consult with him before every movie, just to bat around different character ideas and talk about the creation of what kind of decisions I want to make as an actor. It's incredibly beneficial to have that bouncing board and somebody to challenge you artistically like that.

Back Stage: What sort of practical advice would you offer actors?

DiCaprio: I've had young people come up to me and ask me about acting and how to get into the industry, and I always talk about preparation. Go to acting class; learn the fundamentals. Then go to L.A., where all the auditions are. Those are the first two things. And the third thing is, know your damn lines. Know your lines inside and out, to the point at which they become secondhand. Like everyone else, I'm a big fan of Stanley Kubrick; I really wish I could have worked with him. There was something about the way he worked with his actors, a certain exhaustion all his actors had and a certain naturalness in the way they said their lines. It's because they were doing 50 to 100 takes sometimes. There's no way they didn't know every next word that was coming out of their mouth. There was a certain calm and ease—even when you're insane like Jack Nicholson in "The Shining"—there's a certain ease that you have with your dialogue where you can play around. And the ability to play around comes with being prepared and knowing who your character is and what they're going to say. Then you can improv and do other things, because you have the roots and you can create the branches and leaves. But you have to know the fundamentals, and the most important fundamental is: Know what you're going to say.

Back Stage: What interested you in playing J. Edgar Hoover?

DiCaprio: I'd been involved with another project for a few years, "Public Enemies," where I started to read up on Hoover. I was involved in the development process with Michael Mann, but I forget what happened. I think it was scheduling conflicts, and then Michael started developing it on his own for a while, and it became more of an all-Dillinger story as opposed to a two-hander. So the idea of doing a movie about that era and J. Edgar Hoover was always sort of in my subconscious. When I heard that Dustin Lance Black, who did "Milk," had done a script, I immediately got it and read it. It was one of those screenplays that brought up a million more questions for me—about his personal life, what motivated him, who he was, what he was involved with historically in our country and government. Dustin really captured the essence of him. And who doesn't want to work with Clint Eastwood? I knew it was a character I had to sink my teeth into. I started to research him immediately, even though I didn't necessarily have the role yet.

Back Stage: How did you go about getting into the skin of Hoover?

DiCaprio: It was incredibly challenging; I put a lot of research and preparation into it. I got to go to Washington, D.C., and retrace Hoover's steps, and go into his old house and see the place where he died in his living room. I got to go to the FBI and stand in his office and see the view and where he ate with Clyde Tolson every day in his corner booth. I got to fly down to North Carolina and meet Deke Deloach, the last man who worked with Hoover who knew him on an intimate level. It really was a lot of fun and really shaped the Hoover I tried to put up onscreen.

Back Stage: You've played your share of real-life people; what's the appeal for you?

DiCaprio: I do love playing historical figures simply because there's so much incredibly diverse interesting information about a character when you can research their life. A lot of the stuff you'd never be able to make up as a writer. You'd say, that's completely unrealistic—Hoover would never do that! It's just so interesting to try and embody somebody like that. It's a different process on something like "Inception," where it's more months of sitting down with the director and shaping the character's subplot and making up their history. I enjoy them both, but I must admit I love playing people where a lot of the answers are already out there, because it's shocking to find out what people have really done in the real world.

Back Stage: You've also played your share of unreliable narrators; any reason you're drawn to those roles?

DiCaprio: Yeah. I like that term, "unreliable narrator." Recently, people have been asking me about the type of decisions I've made, and I think something I'm going to continue to do is not question why I'm drawn to certain types of roles or genres of movies. You feel like you have to be of service to something, and I feel like whatever it is about those characters—whether they're unreliable narrators or some sort of dysfunction, or have some sort of similarity to other characters—there's a reason I want to play them, and I don't want to question that. Like I said, I feel very honored to be able to pick and choose what I do. So I'm just going to continue not questioning it.

Barbie

Thanks for great new Gatsby pix; Leo and Tobey always appear to being having a fun time filming together :)

Sic

Good luck on your midterms and hurry back soon :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Also, thanks, for fan video .

Solange

Thanks for more great pix and gifs. :)

And another stupid article to complete our week from Now magazine

Leonardo DiCaprio, 37, has riled his J Edgar co-stars by insisting on flying his bulldog Django in the cabin of their private jet while they're promoting the movie.

An insider tells us: ‘The dog's really smelly, but Leo refuses to let it travel in cargo by itself.

And the International Press Association givers of the Satellite Awards has announced their nominations for 2011

See link below for complete list of nominees.

Competing with Gosling for the Best Actor trophy will be George Clooney (The Descendants), Leonardo DiCaprio (J. Edgar), Michael Fassbender (Shame), Brendon Gleeson (The Guard), Tom Hardy (Warrior), Woody Harrelson (Rampart), Gary Oldman (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy), Brad Pitt (Moneyball) and Michael Shannon (Take Shelter).

http://www.contactmusic.com/news/drive-war...nations_1267125

YAyyyy thanks so much Barbie for the new pics!!! Dashing as usual :wub: Carey looks gorgeous as well!

Thanks Ox for the HOT backstage cover and scan! Can anyone view the interview? I pulled up a larger version of the scan, and still can't see, its too pixalated for me!

Also thanks Ox for the info leos been nominated at the satalittle awards! :clap: Hopefully this is a start to many nominations!

Thanks everyone :grouphug:

Tracy Gold of Growing Pains talks about Leo

As for her Growing Pains castmates, she said she still keeps in touch with them through various reunion events they attend.

And what about Leonardo DiCaprio, who played a homeless boy taken in by the Seaver family in the final season?

"I have a great bondage with Leo," she said. "He's busy, but I know if he saw me, he'd give me a big hug. He saw my husband at a Lakers and came running up to him."

Oooh hot pictures! Thanks everyone :)

Princess, I believe it's some type of cigarette or cigarette holder thing.

ETA: No! One of those things is a cigarette holder but I think the other thing that has pink on it is a pen he's holding in his mouth. Probably in between takes? :rofl: Leo has oral fixation issues. <3

Princess, I believe it's some type of cigarette or cigarette holder thing.

ETA: No! One of those things is a cigarette holder but I think the other thing that has pink on it is a pen he's holding in his mouth. Probably in between takes? :rofl: Leo has oral fixation issues. <3

Well... Not for nothing Armie says that Leo has soft lips" :rofl:

Okay heres the Tosh.O Clip I was talking about. This is a very popular american TV show, and Daniel Tosh is a comedian. He pretends he is auditioning to host the Oscars. He takes a dig at leo and J.Edgar, and alot of other celebs, but its still pretty funny (his dig at George Clooney is the funniest )

I love that show! :rofl:

Thanks for the great interview Ox!! :clap:

Byprincess, I think it's lipgloss,

it's his Italian origine :p