Bellazon

Leonardo DiCaprio - (Please Read First Post Prior to Posting)
Thumbnail

moiselles

Any fears here "The Revenant" could be a flop because of the huge budget and the competition against "Star Wars"??? After the last SW trailer dropped and the internet got broken because people were trying to buy advance tickets I'm not sure about that ... but yeah Leo said he has no worries so I shouldn't too, right? :Angel:

‘The Revenant’ Budget Soars to $135 Million As New Regency Foots the Bill (Exclusive)

Arnon Milchan is paying tens of millions in overages for Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu‘s new anticipated masterpiece

There’s a saying that you can’t put a price on greatness, but if you could, it might be around $165 million, or about much as Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu‘s upcoming revenge drama “The Revenant” is now believed to cost. The ambitious drama has had its original budget soar from $95 million, multiple individuals with knowledge of the production have told TheWrap.

The final bill, once tax credits are counted, is estimated to be $135 million, multiple individuals told TheWrap.

“It was very difficult production,” said one of the individuals. “We were really biting off a lot more than we could chew. The movie just kept getting bigger and bigger, more complicated, the weather — waiting for the light to be a certain way.”

Leonardo DiCaprio stars in “The Revenant” as 19th-century fur trader Hugh Glass, who is brutally attacked by a bear and left for dead by members of his own hunting team. In a quest to survive, Glass endures unimaginable hardship as well as the betrayal of his confidant John Fitzgerald (Tom Hardy). Guided by sheer will and the love of his family, Glass must survive a vicious winter in pursuit of redemption.

Twentieth Century Fox is set to give “The Revenant” an awards-qualifying run in select theaters on Christmas Day before going wide on January 8. History has also shown that the holiday season may not be ideal for such a dark, violent movie, as proven by underperforming R-rated releases like “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo” — though Quentin Tarantino‘s similarly violent and R-rated “Django Unchained” succeeded with a late-December launch in 2012.

Fortunately for its distributor, “The Revenant” wasn’t financed by 20th Century Fox. Instead, Arnon Milchan‘s New Regency will foot the majority of the bill along with Brett Ratner‘s RatPac, Chinese company Alpha Pictures and Empyre, which is a film fund based in Abu Dhabi and Brazil.

New Regency will also have to swallow most of the budget overages because of budget caps that protected Milchan’s partners. Originally Milchan’s company, which produced Gonzalez Inarritu’s 2014 Oscar winner “Birdman” as well as 2013’s “12 Years a Slave,” envisioned a $60 million cost based simply on the involvement of Gonzalez Inarritu and DiCaprio. By the time the film actually went before cameras, the budget was pegged at $95 million — a high price tag for a dark period drama starring men with heavy beards.

“New Regency stands by the decisions we made. The work speaks for itself,” said a spokesperson for New Regency.

The initial cost continued to climb at every turn, according to insiders close to the production. The decision to shoot the movie sequentially to capture the seasons in order led to a significant budget commitment, as did the choice to shoot with only natural light by award-winning cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezki.

But the production then went into an unplanned six-week hiatus because of a crushing lack of snow in Canada.

“We had tremendous weather problems,” said one insider close to the movie. “It was freezing and snowing when it wasn’t meant to be. And when it wasn’t meant to be, it was. It wouldn’t snow. Our movie was really reliant on snow. That was a huge hit.”

The entire production had to move to Argentina from Calgary, Canada in search of snow. The six-day shoot in Patagonia in August cost an unplanned $10 million, according to one production insider. “That was an extremely big hit financially,” the insider said.

During the hiatus, veteran producer Mary Parent was asked to join the production to get the project back on schedule.

Another insider said that Milchan declined to rein in his star director.

“I don’t think the studio put in stopgaps to keep the costs down,” the individual said, such as declining to reshoot scenes multiple times. “There were a lot of indulgences he got that could’ve been a ‘no.’ Alejandro is a little bit like a child. He tests the parameters all the time. When you don’t say ‘no,’ he takes advantage.”

At stake is a likely Oscar run. If the film were to win Best Picture, it would secure Milchan his first Academy Award statuette.

Though New Regency is technically in pursuit of its third-straight Best Picture win following “12 Years a Slave” and “Birdman,” Milchan wasn’t named as a qualifying producer on the last two victors.

One knowledgeable insider claimed that New Regency has hired “every awards consultant known to man” to strategize an Oscar campaign for “The Revenant” — evidence of the studio’s emphasis on awards prestige which have also been known to boost a film’s box office prospects.

20th Century Fox passed on the opportunity to finance the film for several reasons, according to knowledgeable executives. Not only was the studio worried about the commercial prospects of a bleak, violent movie starring two handsome actors whose famous faces would be obscured by grimy beards, but the original screenplay neglected its female characters. The film’s most recent trailer emphasized the presence of DiCaprio’s family in an effort to nod in the direction of female audiences.

Insiders allege that New Regency isn’t worried about going over-budget if the film wins Academy Awards. While New Regency insiders insist that “The Revenant” is a commercial play, others suggest the company was more invested in backing a brilliant work of art.

Source

Jade

Tks for mention of meeting Leo last night , lucky people :)

As to Revenant's future box office , I share the mindset of my Leo friend that:

Revenant will open in limited release on Dec 25th , and at this point in time, we don't know how limited ,just LA & NY or select theaters .Therefore, no box office report is going to be comparing the box office of a film in limited release with a film in wide expansion.

Plus even if Revenant opened wide at Christmas, I don't think anyone in the industry would ever expect it, or Joy, or Hateful 8 to beat /match Star Wars' box office

At same time there will be a 3 week interval between when Star Wars and Revenant opens wide here in the US , so there will be plenty of time for Star Wars fans to see their film , as well as, others before Revenant goes wide on Jan 8th .

Also, if in the next weeks Revenant and Leo become factors in the award season, that will ,also, draw more to the film.

Lastly, I know myself that I've seen tons of interest about the film via Twitter , so while Revenant may not be a film people see multiple times, I think many are interested/intrigrued enough to see it at least once (Y)

I agree with the sentiments before, The Revenant will hardly be a flop. The budget was high and I know they are gonna try hard to remake that money, more than they initially needed to make back. I mean if its up against Star Wars on its opening weekend, its not going to perform as well, but it's still going to make a lot of money. A lot of movie fans are excited for Revenant too, and it has a lot of trailer views and has constant buzz on imdb and twitter. So I don't think theres any need to worry....it will most definetly/probably NOT beat out Star Wars, I mean come on :p But it will do successful at the box office and there is already a huge ammount of buzz around the film so it doesn't need to be #1 to be successful :) 

Thanks Jade for all the new content!

Leo will be chair newly-created Formula E committee + interview with him about his new job :thumbsup:

formulae1.jpg formulae2.jpg

with Alejandro Agag, CEO Formula E Holdings

Leonardo DiCaprio to chair Formula E Sustainability Committee

Formula E is thrilled that award-winning actor and global environmentalist Leonardo DiCaprio will chair the organisation’s newly-created Formula E Sustainability Committee.

This body will focus on Formula E’s contributions to promoting the mass use of electric vehicles, focusing particularly on urban mobility. The long term imprint of Formula E on the cities where it races, in both infrastructure and education terms, will be also a focus point of the committee.

As a forum for major global corporations who are all linked by a common concern for sustainability, the committee will drive a greater level of social responsibility in how they do business. The committee will meet to exchange ideas on how to tackle some of the world’s most pressing environmental issues.

Mr DiCaprio will be joined on the committee by the CEOs of the Championship Partners and Shareholders, as well as Alejandro Agag, CEO of Formula E Holdings.

The primary goal of Formula E – the FIA global electric racing championship – is to promote electric vehicles with the purpose of changing the perception of electric cars and to promote new technologies for cleaner mobility.

Ahead of his Foundation’s successful fundraising Gala in St. Tropez, France – sponsored by Julius Baer – Mr DiCaprio spoke with Alejandro Agag about his support for Formula E and his environmental activism.

AA: Leonardo, you’ve been an active environmentalist throughout your career. Why?

LD: I was awakened to the severity of these issues in late 1990s when I met with then-Vice President Al Gore at the White House. He and I spoke for an hour about climate change and how it was, and is, the biggest challenge facing our society for the next millennium.

Al Gore inspired me. I decided then and there, that I wanted to be part of protecting our planet by investing my time, energy, and voice to raise awareness of climate change and the many ways humanity is impacting our environment. In a nutshell – I believe this is our moral duty.

Since the 1990s, I have been working on the ground and on the world stage to bring attention to these issues. As I said at the UN Climate Summit last year, I’m deeply convinced that none of these issues are rhetoric and none of it is hysteria – it is fact.

AA: You created your Foundation – the Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation – a year after Titanic came out, and since that time you’ve supported 70 projects in over 40 countries and in every ocean, and just recently you donated $15 million to a wide variety of environmental initiatives. What’s next?

LD: My Foundation focuses on raising awareness and funds to fight some of the most pressing environmental challenges facing the planet.

Our work reaches every corner of the globe – from the Arctic Sea to Africa and the Amazon. We also have active preservation efforts underway in every ocean. Our model goes beyond simply writing cheques and hoping to solve these problems. We actively support real projects, led by environmentalists and community leaders on the ground that do an incredible job, often under very difficult circumstances. We look forward to quickly scale up this work and support more and more projects into the future.

Everyone needs to take action. I believe all of us, regardless of our socioeconomic position or regional differences, can and must do something to preserve our environment – whether it’s big or small.

AA: Last year, you urged world leaders at the UN Climate Summit to address “the greatest challenge of our existence on this planet.” What tools are you using to continue to get this message across?

LD: We must keep the momentum going, and I am using every platform at my disposal to urge action on these critical issues.

Social media has been a powerful tool for promoting eco-friendly causes and keeping your base activated – not just on occasions dedicated to the environment, such as Earth Day. It’s every hour of day that our planet is being destroyed.

Film is another tool. In 2014, I narrated a documentary “Carbon” – which gave viewers tremendous insight into the devastating impacts of climate change. Recently, I’ve been working alongside Netflix to produce important environmental stories. For example, “Virunga” is a documentary that shows the need for the protection of mountain gorillas in Africa’s oldest national park, while exposing the harsh realities of life in the Congo.

I also take to the streets for old-fashioned activism. This past year I marched during New York City’s People’s Climate March, which coincided with the UN General Assembly to draw attention to the numbers of people standing in solidarity with our environment and to pressure government leaders to finally commit to a strong global treaty to address climate change.

Whatever tools I use, this is not about just telling people to change their light bulbs or to buy a hybrid car. My goal is to communicate the fact that our planet is at a tipping point, and the window for change is rapidly closing.

AA: What role can technology play to help us address our environmental challenges?

LD: Our planet offers limitless renewable energy sources. Technology has been the missing link for making this energy viable and competitive with fossil fuels, but today we are finally ready to make the transition to 100 per cent clean, renewable energy.

Technology is a catalyst for disruptive innovation in every facet of life, especially in the areas of smart and sustainable cities. For example, I’m excited by one of the most recent announcements of disruption to the future of energy by Tesla’s “Powerwall” battery, which provides power storage to individual homes.

The pace of change is unbelievable. As Nelson Mandela said, it always seems impossible until it’s done. Ten years ago I could never have imagined charging my car without even plugging it in. Or shopping while my car is quietly topped up remotely by the space it’s parked on.

Projects like Formula E act like technological laboratories to accelerate innovation. For example, the battery duration of EVs will be increased thanks to the Championship. The trickling down of technological developments to consumer level and mass adoption will make a huge difference.

AA: We all have a role to play in sustainability: governments for policy, businesses for innovation and investment and citizens for everyday local action. What’s the big thing that’s going to make the change/change the dial?

LD: Change comes with participation from every level. When envisioning the cities of the future, governments, for example, have a large role to play in sustainable development. However, in the medium term it will be difficult to sustain city centres to allow for combustion cars.

Governments will be the key to transforming our city centres into “clean only vehicle” areas. To begin, it will probably just need to be inner city centres, but gradually the entire city should be open only to sustainable vehicles. Car sharing will be also be an important part of this revolution and technology, together with regulation, will be an essential part of this change.

AA: What impact do you think the Formula E Sustainability Committee will have?

LD: Climate change is both a moral and business imperative. The committee, by uniting the top 10 global mobility and innovation players on the subject of sustainability sends a clear sign that we are on the frontlines of helping to solve the climate crisis. Formula E provides these players with a strong collective global voice.

Sustainable business is the way of the future. I applaud companies like Formula E, for launching a global electric car championship, and Apple, who operates on 100 per cent renewables in the US, and Warren Buffet’s Berkshire Hathaway Energy that is ditching coal in favour of renewable energy sources.

AA: Why have you decided to support Formula E?

LD: I first heard about Formula E in New York over three years ago when it was just an idea. Since then, I have supported the championship and I’ve been amazed by how far it’s come in these first few years. Some were critics and believed Formula E would fail, and I think you and your team have done an incredible job proving those critics wrong and making your vision a reality. Formula E really can be a powerful tool to change people’s perception of electric cars.

I also was drawn to the fact that that Formula E only races in city centres. I’m concerned about cities. They represent an environmental time bomb. In 20 years, 80 per cent of the world’s population will live in cities and this means a constant and growing demand on already dwindling natural resources – more than the planet can possibly handle.

Cities of the future need to be smart and sustainable. Technology will be key for this. One of the most important ways to reduce pollution in cities is through investing in smart transportation solutions. This is where electric cars come into play, because the more electric cars on the road, means improved air quality to benefit both people and the planet.

I dream of these cities, where people and transportation are interconnected and wisely use sustainable, available natural resources such as solar energy. That is a future worth fighting for. Projects like Formula E will help make this come true.

AA: You’re an electric car driver. What’s so different about EVs?

LD: The first the general public knew about my green credentials was my appearance at the Oscars at the wheel of a Toyota Prius. I’m constantly photographed when I leave my home – so this is a creative way that I could showcase my commitment to being an environmentalist.

I believe it is important to endorse new technologies that are trying to make a difference. The future of our planet depends on our ability to embrace solutions like fuel-efficient, clean-energy vehicles.

The best thing about electric cars is the way they sound – the way it drives and the ease. They’re also fast, easy to use and very cool. You just plug it in every night like you would your mobile phone.

I’d love to have a go in a Formula E car. Maybe you’ll see me in a Formula E car soon!

List of committee members:

Chairman: Mr. Leonardo DiCaprio

Members:
Mr. Mike Fries, CEO of Liberty Global

Mr. Boris Collardi, CEO of Julius Bar Bank

Mr. Ken Allen, CEO of DHL Express

Mr. Paul Jacobs, Chairman. Qualcomm

Mr. Nicolas Huss, CEO VISA Europe

Mr. Jean-Dominique Senard, CEO Michelin

Mr. Jean Claude Biver, CEO TAG Heuer

Mr. Simon Freer, Chairman FEH

Mr. Alejandro Agag, CEO Formula E Holdings

Source

From last night. I assume after Kelly shot with Nicki yesterday for her handbags. (I think Lukas was actually the photographer) and they all went out after it looks like :)

Now I don't know if its just me but I have not been able to save photos from JJ anymore. Like the right click won't save as a jpg or png it only wants to save as a webpage :/

Anyways heres the link!

Leonardo DiCaprio heads out of E Baldi restaurant after having dinner with friends on Wednesday (October 21) in Beverly Hills, Calif. 

http://www.justjared.com/photo-gallery/3488888/leonardo-dicaprio-grabs-dinner-with-girlfriend-kelly-rohrbach-01/

Looks like he opened the car door for her I guess that was nice :p