Bellazon

Leonardo DiCaprio - (Please Read First Post Prior to Posting)
Thumbnail

moiselles

Indiewire August Predix

2024 Oscars: Best Actor Predictions

Leonardo DiCaprio and Cillian Murphy are the first to garner awards buzz while audiences wait to see big releases built around performances from Oscar favorites like Joaquin Phoenix and Bradley Cooper.

The State of the Race

These days, the main subject of conversation about the upcoming Best Actor Oscar race is all about Leonardo DiCaprio, star of the long-awaited Martin Scorsese film “Killers of the Flower Moon” (Apple Original Films/Paramount Pictures). Throughout the film’s lengthy development, it was unclear whether “The Revenant” actor was actually the lead of the film or serving in a supporting role (Jesse Plemons’ FBI man plays a more prominent role in the David Grann bestseller). But the 2023 Cannes Film Festival premiere clarified that DiCaprio, a Best Actor winner in 2016, is going to be a lead contender in the category.

(...)

Contenders are listed in alphabetical order, below. No actor will be deemed a frontrunner until we have seen the film.

Frontrunners:
Matt Damon (“Air”)
Leonardo DiCaprio (“Killers of the Flower Moon”)
Alden Ehrenreich (“Fair Play”)
Cillian Murphy (“Oppenheimer”)
David Strathairn (“A Little Prayer”)

Contenders:
Kingsley Ben-Adir (“Bob Marley: One Love”)
Bradley Cooper (“Maestro”)
Colman Domingo (“Rustin”)
Adam Driver (“Ferrari”)
Michael Fassbender (“The Killer”)
Christian Friedel (“The Zone of Interest”)
Paul Giamatti (“The Holdovers”)
Barry Keoghan (“Saltburn”)
Joaquin Phoenix (“Napoleon”)
John David Washington (“The Piano Lesson”)

Long Shots:
Jay Baruchel (“Blackberry”)
TimothĂ©e Chalamet (“Dune: Part Two”)
Paul Dano (“Dumb Money”)
Michael Fassbender (“Next Goal Wins”)
Gael García Bernal (“Cassandro”)
Kelvin Harrison Jr. (“Chevalier”)
Joaquin Phoenix (“Beau Is Afraid”)
Josh O’Connor (“La Chimera”)
Franz Rogowski (“Passages”)
Teo Yoo (“Past Lives”)

Source

Just because nothing is going on right now and because she looks freakin gorgeous....

Rose gettin ready for her big life changing night đŸŒčđŸ’«

749298278_Screenshot2023-08-14at11-02-07rmstitanicmoviesfilmmakingfilmcinematographydeletedsceneartm-of90sjamescameronkatewinsletleonardodicaprioInstagram.thumb.png.b04fb0c59ed8464744f4f12ad7a8b491.png

I bet she already knew he's a game changer

Screenshot_20230814-110944_Instagram.thumb.jpg.308bbb0600e50f39a0d1c0d2250f65c0.jpg

(also love the way she looks at him)

Hands down one of the most beautiful and powerful moments in female cinema history

Screenshot_20230814-110934_Instagram.thumb.jpg.2329856330c2101d1e2a6b45410167e0.jpg

Speaking of TITANIC Ruimy at least states the movie belongs to his nine top-tier movies in terms of quality of the billion dollar club (just beaten by "The Dark Knight"). Critic Richard Brody on the other hand thinks Barbie is the best and Titanic sucks calling it "an unoriginal dinosaur" 😄 Yeah well otherwise than the dinosaurs Titanic is still very much alive belong many fans LOL Let's see if BARBIE will have the same impact in 25 years.

Richard Brody: ‘Barbie’ is the Best Movie to Ever Cross the Billion-Dollar Mark

The New Yorker’s Richard Brody is a top-notch film writer, but his tastes can veer towards total and utter bewilderment.

Yesterday, I wrote about how he believed that the Spike Lee remake of “Oldboy” was better than the original. He also abides by the church of mumblecore. He believes it’s this generation’s nouvelle vague. Let us not forget to mention his unadorned infatuation for Eddie Murphy’s “Norbit.”

Brody’s latest hot take is not his worst, but it’s far from being one of his best. He’s a big fan of Greta Gerwig’s “Barbie” and believes it is the best movie to have ever crossed the billion dollar worldwide mark at the box-office:

“Whatever the virtues of Titanic (very minor, in my view), it's an artistic dinosaur, completely unoriginal and backwards-looking in form and style. Impressive technique, trivial artistry [
] The point is that Barbie is the *best* movie to cross the billion-dollar line.”

“Barbie” was the 53rd movie in history to hit the billion dollar mark (not counting inflation). Only one other 2023 title has made more money than Gerwig’s film and that’s “Super Mario Bros.”

For a film to make over $1 billion at the box-office it has to adhere to mainstream tastes and not be too creative risk-taking — you don’t want to isolate the viewed, but, rather, coddle then with familiarity.

The fact that Gerwig’s “Barbie” has made this much money is some kind of miracle as it doesn’t necessarily play it safe. It is, however, very invested in its own identity as mass-marketed product placement. It’s a mix of art and blatant consumerism.

One look at the list of 53 movies that made $1 billion and you instantly understand why Brody would think “Barbie” is the best one of the lot. I’ve counted only nine top-tier movies, in terms of quality, to have achieved this box-office feat: “The Dark Knight,” “Titanic,” “Toy Story 3,” “The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King,” “Joker,” “Skyfall,” “Jurassic Park,” “Avengers: Endgame,” and “Zootopia”

Oscars Predictions: Supporting Actress – America Ferrera, Emily Blunt and Lily Gladstone Bring Early Critical Acclaim to the Race

Weekly Commentary (Updated Aug. 14, 2023): The best supporting actress Oscar race already has the potential to be the most competitive of the four acting categories this year.

Whether Lily Gladstone ultimately decides to campaign for lead actress or supporting for her turn in Martin Scorsese’s “Killers of the Flower Moon,” a spot appears reserved for her in either category. After premiering at the Cannes Film Festival in May, Gladstone delivers an uncompromising portrayal as Mollie, an Indigenous woman whose family and tribal community are murdered by a sinister group of white men driven by their thirst for greed and power.

Indigenous representation in the Academy (and Hollywood) has been virtually nonexistent in the history of cinema. Assuming supporting actress is in the cards for her, she would be the second Indigenous actress ever nominated in the category after Jocelyne LaGarde for 1966’s “Hawaii.”

Go, Lily:clap:

Guys I have a guessing, there are still new interviews for barbie and Oppenheimer being uploaded on Youtube. is it possible they are all prerecorded?! How many months prior the film being released do they usually start the press tour? 
My optimistic side is telling me that They have started recording interviews for KTOTFM before the strike😅

Do you think that’s possible or am I being too optimistic?đŸ€­

8 hours ago, LuckyGirl said:

Guys I have a guessing, there are still new interviews for barbie and Oppenheimer being uploaded on Youtube. is it possible they are all prerecorded?! How many months prior the film being released do they usually start the press tour? 
My optimistic side is telling me that They have started recording interviews for KTOTFM before the strike😅

Do you think that’s possible or am I being too optimistic?đŸ€­

I think that's possible

Oscars — Best Director, For Now, is Martin Scorsese vs Christopher Nolan

CC6EB088-8E7A-4EC1-8F07-DD39957488C1.jpe

It’s been a weird year at the movies. There’s a writers and actors strike. ‘Barbenheimer’ is saving the box-office. We’re also still not entirely sure what will break out this fall.

Of the major titles being released in the fall, I keep hearing mixed things about “Maestro,” “Ferrari,” “Priscilla” and “The Killer.” Whereas Lanthimos’ “Poor Things” hasn’t test screened yet, but has the luxury of screening at Venice, Telluride and New York.

Alexander Payne’s “The Holdovers” has had some strong word of mouth, but what’s with it not being part of NYFF and Venice? Ditto “Saltburn,” another test screening winner that is set to only screen at Telluride, and London a month later.

As “Barbenheimer” mania continues, the Best Director race seems to be the most fascinating category. According to the predictions of the “experts” at Gold Derby, the category is, for now, a two-way race between Christopher Nolan(“Oppenheimer”) and Martin Scorsese (“Killers of the Flower Moon“).

Nolan has the narrative behind him, he’s never won a directing Oscar, and his work on the biographical drama about the father of the atomic bomb is has been beloved by critics and audiences. Whether it’s the best work of his career, or not, “Oppenheimer” might finally get Nolan that golden statuette.

Scorsese premiered “Killers of the Flower Moon” at Cannes, where it was rapturously received, and it’s the work of a filmmaker who can still make great cinema. A tour-de-force of directing, ‘Killers’ is the kind of ambitious story that rarely gets told these days in mainstream moviemaking — “Oppenheimer” being the other exception.

Nolan’s “overdue” narrative is reminiscent of the one that Scorsese had when he finally won Best Director for 2006’s “The Departed” — though Scorsese waited much longer for his first trophy than Nolan has had to.

Celine Song (“Past Lives”) seems to be a cinch for a directing nomination. She directed the most critically acclaimed movie of the year, so far. Her narrative, from playwright to filmmaker, is contagiously infectious and “Past Lives” has been an indie hit, grossing $10 million domestically.

Of course, it’s very early. Another director could swoop in and beat both Nolan and Scorsese. Greta Gerwig (“Barbie”) is probably at #3 or 4 and could easily sneak up on her counterparts. Between now and December, given the current fall slate, I just can’t see many other directors crashing the category the way Scorsese, Nolan and Gerwig have thus far.

Maybe Denis Villeneuve can grab a nod for his “Dune” sequel, but a win would be out of the ordinary for a franchise that not everyone has warmed up to, but many respect. Don’t get me wrong, “Dune” has its ardent fanbase, but there are definitely many Academy voters who don’t really care for it.

62CC864A-4F1D-4352-A68E-6721A4093A80.jpe