Bellazon

Football

goose

Enjoyed Sky's graphic depicting how Michael Carrick covers more yards per game than everyone else. I mean if my sole responsibility in a team of eleven was to occasionally pass a ball sideways approximately five centimetres I could sprint around like a headless chicken all day, too.

Carrick is a target of the media and the public alike, which he's been for long time now, but by no means is he underrated. Last year against Bayern he was a fault at a critical moment in the tie when he lost concentration and yesterday he made a really poor decision and consequently crumbled into oblivion. That's not to say he was solely responsible for the defeat, United weren't good enough in all areas, particularly Scholes, who once again showed what a vindictive little oik he can be when things aren't going his way. I shall not be mourning his hopefully imminent retirement.

Mourinho has resorted to his Inter/Chelsea ways *sigh* While I was watching the Copa, Madrid's white uniforms made me think that they are a £300 million Bolton...wait, that would be an insult cause Bolton are actually quite attacking under Coyle :laugh:

I can't see them beating Madrid over the next 2 legs. You'll need a ref that isn't afraid of Mourinho...or sending Pepe, Xabi, Ramos or Arbeloa off <_<

I'm going for Barca, but my head tells me Madrid will have La Decima by the end of the season :(

Update:

Wolfgang Stark (Ger) to ref

Iniesta out with a muscle strain

I guess that comment about a strong ref won't be coming true. Worst thing is Howard Webb isn't reffing any matches and since he can't ref the United v Schalke game, he may be in line to ref the 2nd leg of the Barca v Madrid match. Not much chance of Barca winning now unless UEFA decide to intervene again :laugh:

Adriano is out. Not sure about Maxwell, maybe Guardiola will chuck a Wenger and chuck him on? I'm guessing Masch will be put on the left with Puyol coming back into the centre if he's fit? Keita to replace Iniesta too.

I have no idea why Guardiola decided to use such a thin squad on the back of a Summer World Cup :idk:

I'm inclined to agree. The lack of numbers in the Barca squad is becoming quite evident now, what with Pedro and Villa looking fairly off colour lately. Madrid are looking good going forward at the moment and will have the luxury of having three forwards (assuming Ronaldo starts as a lone striker) on the the bench alongside a somewhat resurgent Kaka, while Guardiola will have, erm, Milito and Jeffren. I could see Mourinho really taking advantage of Barca's defensive shortcomings, provided they get enough possession going over the two legs. It'll be another tight game, but I think Real start as the favourites.

One of the Barca coaches apparently reporting that Iniesta was fatigued and not injured and will be able to start the game. Barca will need him today, that's for sure. Pretty sure it'll be Masch, Puyol, Pique and Alves playing in the backline. Ronaldo to start on the right to take advantage of Masch on the left of defense?