Bellazon

Questions in Life that make you go "hmmm"

maddog107

i had a feeling no one was going to touch that one.... i just read a little fact in details magazine saying this about the american justice system:

"90 percent:  accuracy of a computer program developed at loyola university in predicting whether death-row convicts will be executed.  the program uses criteria such as age, race, and gender but not details of the cases themselves."

there's another one that "makes you go hmmmm...."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My bad. I'll try to answer it.

I guess this is just the "nature vs. nurture" question, just with a limited scope? Okay..

In my opinion, you can't really put all the blame on people. Until globalization kicks in (maybe with it a more liberal view of races and differences), you can't really hold people completely accountable on a personal level, since they can't really control their environment (e.g. their neighbors in general, their parents, their background, thus the ideas and cultures they're exposed to).

And yes, people do have free will.. so they could reject what they're exposed to. But maybe they aren't aware that there's even a choice to be made? What if this is just the way things are, the way things have always been? Most people have a hard time thinking of a world in terms that they haven't been exposed to.

It's also an issue of comfort and familiarity. People, for the most part, drift toward (and stay around) what they're familiar/comfortable with (people, habits, etc.). And people also have some pride about certain aspects of themselves, and this is where it's a slippery slope. It's possible for different peoples to coexist with respect for one another, but if people are sheltered, then they've only really had a chance to develop a sense of pride for themselves and the things they represent, and they rarely have an appreciation for things that are different.

So, are humans inherently racist? In a broader sense, yes. They have an inclination to stick around things they're familiar and comfortable with (in this case, their "own kind," which is often the only thing they're exposed to), and they usually have pride in who they are and what has contributed to what they are (internal qualities, environment), but they aren't born with a disdain for other races. Can they become utterly racist? Yep, thanks to the environment. More pride + less exposure/appreciation/perspective = bad.

You don't have to go to Cambodia to see similar.

Campobello Teen Accused Of Raping Dog

June 23, 2005, 07:00 PM

Spartanburg, South Carolina (FOX Carolina News) - People living in one Campobello neighborhood say they'll do whatever it takes to get seventeen-year-old Cory Williamson out of there before someone is seriously hurt.

Williamson is in jail accused of raping his neighbor's dog. Sylvia Jones says she wouldn't have believed it had she not seen it with her own eyes. "When I got here we were laying on the deck looking at him and he had his pants down and he was doing sexual activity with the dog like a man would do to a woman."

Renee Hulburt says her family is way too familiar with Williamson. She knows he's charged with molesting a three-year-old girl and the statutory rape of a thirteen-year-old girl. Williamson is still awaiting trial on those charges.

Hulburt says, "Basically he's a sociopath."

She went on to say that she's afraid if Williamson gets out of jail, children everywhere could be in danger.

"I'd like him out of the neighborhood. I'd like him put away, he's a danger to everybody. My youngest won't even walk through my house because she's afraid."

FOX Carolina called Solicitor Trey Gowdy's office about the new charge against Williamson. A spokesman said the solicitor's office will petition the judge next Friday to have Williamson's bond revoked.

Neighbors hope he'll be in jail at least until trial begins. "As a community we shouldn't have to watch our kids every second they're playing. We want him out of this neighborhood."

The Solicitor's office also says it will ask that Williamson undergo a mental evaluation. FOX Carolina also tried calling the Williamson family several times but there was no answer.

http://www.fox21.com/Global/story.asp?S=3388412&nav=2KPpaGCu

• 4 weeks later...
if u were a hermaphrodite would u be considered 'straight' or 'bi-sexual'?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the definition of your sexuality depends on what you feel your sex is psychologically. Either that or your legal gender. Not too sure though.

Good question. Hermaphrodites are sterile, not that it affects the question/answer. Just thought I might add it in out of interest :p

• 1 month later...
As you may have gathered, i am an atheist, and was hoping a rather more religious, subjective member would reply to that so i could indulge in a bit of philosophical flame wars but you seem to have more than one brain cell and have managed to have me confuzzled.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Arguing against someone else's beliefs is not pleasurable at all. Can't believe you get a kick out of this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I take back my statement.

Once again, I had a turning point in my life that totally change most of my attitudes.

Really? What change was that? hmmmm...

*rubs Mindless Oasis' chin*

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's suppose to be beard, albeit imaginary beard.

Anyway, back to topic, on a Christian forum, I was severely attacked by over-zealous elitists who keeps quoting scriptures and the like, while at the same time, keep impressing upon me their level of intellect contrasted to my ignorance. In retaliation, I had to use words like "psychological permutation" and the concept of "Chewbacca defence" to let them know, what kind of intellect they are dealing with. Once that knowledge is established, most of them stop attacking me.

Chewbacca defense is taken directly from South Park.

It is the most effective way of arguing.

Supposedly used by John Cochrane to convince the panel of juries to acquit O.J. Simpson.

It goes like this:

Ladies and Gentlemen of this deposed jury, Chef's attorney would certainly want you to believe his client wrote Stinky Britches ten years ago, and they make a good case. Hell, I almost felt pity myself. But Ladies and Gentlemen of this deposed jury, I have one final thing I want you to consider.

Ladies and Gentlemen, (Pulls down picture of Chewbacca, a big-foot look-alike) this is Chewbacca. Chewbacca is a Wooky from the planet Kishic, but Chewbacca lives on the planet Endor. Now think about it. That does not make sense.

Why would a Wooky, an eight-foot-tall Wooky, want to live on Endor with a bunch of two-foot-tall Ewoks. That does not make sense. But more important, you have to ask yourself what does this have to do with this case.

Nothing. Ladies and Gentlemen, it has nothing to do with this case.

It does not make sense. Look at me. I'm a lawyer defending a major record company and I'm talkin' about Chewbacca. Does that make sense? Ladies and Gentlemen I'm am not making any sense. None of this makes sense. And so you have to remember when you're in that jury room deliberating and conjugating the Emancipation Proclamation, does it make sense? No. Ladies and Gentlemen of this deposed jury it does not make sense. If Chewbacca lives on Endor you must acquit. The defense rests.

:laugh: :rofl:

Oh my god that is so funny...

hahahahahaha

so after all that abuse you felt Christians were misguided as opposed to your previous feelings of live and let live?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My sentiments towards them has always been the same.

Being attacked just make the urge to irritate them stronger.

These people (elitists), are very hostile, and would label atheists as either ignorant or stupid or demons. One can make a statement like, "If there is so many religion, which is the right religion?" No sooner have you said that, they will be all over you like flies over shit. I really don't mind that, except when they use Scriptures in their answers all the time. I mean it is obviously absurd to convince people that their religion is right, because of the following quotes from the Bible, when atheist, free-thinkers and infidels are not even convinced that the Bible is the one and only righteous book in the first place. When you tell them this, they will call you ignorant and then tell you to get loss.

Thus, the only way to response to them would be, if Chewbacca lives in Endor, then atheism is the only true religion. Alternatively, one could use mumbo-jumbo words that has little meanings compared to their sizes (lengths). For example, "vis-a-vis" and "psychological permutation".

I have only one question.

Why do you visit them?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To improve my debating skills?

Nah, there are actually a few people that are non-Christians like atheists, free-thinkers, Buddhists and the like. So, I can actually engage in a more civisilised philosophical discussion.

Plus, sometimes it's funny to see these "enlightened" souls making "ignorant" remarks such as the recent tragedy of New Orleans was caused by homosexuals living there.

I bet God was planning for global warming, just so he could kill those homosexuals, and I bet he made that earthquake that wiped out SE Asia so he could kill them too. I'm being sarcastic and if anyone gets angry at this comment they can go and shoot themselves in the head, because sooner or later they're gonna get run over by a car. Spare us the pain now.

I bet God was planning for global warming, just so he could kill those homosexuals, and I bet he made that earthquake that wiped out SE Asia so he could kill them too. I'm being sarcastic and if anyone gets angry at this comment they can go and shoot themselves in the head, because sooner or later they're gonna get run over by a car. Spare us the pain now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

People who says that AIDS is God's way of punishing humans for being promiscuous, needs to die. But, unfortunately, if they all die, my major source of entertainment will disappear overnight.