Bellazon

Questions in Life that make you go "hmmm"

maddog107

why does it take forever for the latic acid in ur legs to go away(its what makes you sroe after you exercise)??

beacuse im in pain and i cant move and its from soccer b/c i ahvent played in 9 months, and then i played for 180 min in 3 days, which is a lot, b/c i havent done a dman thing

• 2 weeks later...

Just to bring this back onto religion and christianity specifically, can anyone answer these:

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.

Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.

Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?

Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

This is known as "The Problem Of Evil". Thousands of years old (first posed by Epicurus, and Greek philosopher) and still no satisfactory answers in my view that don't resort to sheer profound belief in something that raises all sorts of contradictions like these. And the bible is no defense, whoever was saying that. The bible is so full of holes a mouse would have trouble figuring out whether it was edible or not.

Guest quasicartes
hey one man band, i'm just getting back from replying to you in "the greatest rock and roll guitarist"  ... hahah.  when i get to work for another day of slacking.. er, i mean hard work, i'm going to take a shot at those christian theological questions.  for now, i say:  those are questions that make me go "YAWN".  :whistle:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Pretty boring, those are the kind of questions that people should ask when they live during Epicurus' time.

Guest quasicartes

Epicurus was an ancient Greek philosopher? That means no Christianity yet at that time (everyone's a pagan and worshipping the sun or nature)? Can someone verify?

EDIT:Yes, It's true.

Epicurus: 341-270 BC

Constantine:274-337 AD

Constantine The Great, Roman emperor, was the first person who started to mass-promote christianity. Actually, he is responsible for reorganizing the Roman state and allowed the spread of a monotheist religion by the end of the 4th century. He was initially a sun-worshipper. This means that he spread Christianity as a means of uniting Rome (read: political power).

Nice try but i'm not following, nyc rocks. The questions were initially posed to be answered by a theist so they would obviously believes that a god exists. The question of objective vs. relative evil i understand though. The "one must already have the grand assumption that a particular type of "god" exists in the first place" makes very little sense in my eyes.

As you may have gathered, i am an atheist, and was hoping a rather more religious, subjective member would reply to that so i could indulge in a bit of philosophical flame wars but you seem to have more than one brain cell and have managed to have me confuzzled.

If someone wants to say that "Evil exists because God wants us to have free-will" i'll have some fun. But don't dance around the questions with your college education or i'll start crying.

Guest quasicartes
As you may have gathered, i am an atheist, and was hoping a rather more religious, subjective member would reply to that so i could indulge in a bit of philosophical flame wars but you seem to have more than one brain cell and have managed to have me confuzzled.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Arguing against someone else's beliefs is not pleasurable at all. Can't believe you get a kick out of this.

It's not as if i get some perverse enjoyment from crushing someone's beliefs, i was just adding a bit of humour. I was joking. If someone has genuine, strong faith in something than it should be admired, not mocked. But if someone replied with half-baked saturday-school dogmatisms i would give as good as i got.

Look, quaicartes, and anyone who was offended, I apologise for any offense I caused. It wasn't intended. It seems I need to be more thoughful when posting here - i'm too used to talking with Londoners who think insults can be used as greetings.

Nyc rocks, i'm not even going to pretend i understand what you're saying. Pantheism sounds like fun. But i like being agnostic today, so that's what i'll be (until someone else convinces me otherwise!).

Guest quasicartes
It's not as if i get some perverse enjoyment from crushing someone's beliefs, i was just adding a bit of humour. I was joking. If someone has genuine, strong faith in something than it should be admired, not mocked. But if someone replied with half-baked saturday-school dogmatisms i would give as good as i got.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Even if that someone has half-baked faith, you will never succeed in converting them to atheism by reasoning with them. What I have learnt is that reason leads people to conclusions, but emotions leads people to actions. Human being are highly irrational and highly emotional. If everyone had used logic, how many people would have been in any form of organised religion?

If we had used logic, there would still be religion. Is it not logical to think that since we humans have sentience (sp?) we have been gifted by a higher being? Is it not logical to think that someone or something created the Sun, Moon and stars?

Guest quasicartes

If the so-called higher being blessed us, who then blessed that higher being?

Our consciousness (even if its real) proves nothing, as "cogito ergo sum" has not been rpoven to be 100% correct,

I have used the "Who gave god his powers" thing many times and christians in particular like to just brush it aside by saying God is just God, there's no one above him in the divine food-chain. Doesn't really sit with me either.

My point is that those sort of question must have led poeple to believe that there is a God (or gods), through logic.