Bellazon

The King of Football

eNe

The King of Football  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best football player right now?

• Alessandro Del Piero
    • Didier Drogba
    • Samuel Eto'o
    • Cesc Fabregas
    • Steven Gerrard
    • Thierry Henry
    • Zlatan Ibrahimoviç
    • Kaka'
    • Frank Lampard
    • Lionel Messi
    • Andrea Pirlo
    • Juan Roman Riquelme
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • Ronaldinho
    • Wayne Rooney
    • Luca Toni
    • Fernando Torres
    • Francesco Totti
    • David Villa
    • Other / I'm not sure
  2. 2. Who is the best GoalKeeper right now?

• Christian Abbiati
    • René Adler
    • Manuel Almunia
    • Gianluigi Buffon
    • Iker Casillas
    • Petr Čech
    • Julio Cesar
    • Gregory Coupet
    • Nelson Dida
    • Sebastian Frey
    • Heurelho Gomes
    • Carlos Kameni
    • Bogdan Lobont
    • Manuel Neuer
    • Pepe Reina
    • Edwin van der Sar
    • Francesco Toldo
    • Other / I'm not sure
  3. 3. Who is the best football coach right now?

• Carlo Ancelotti
    • Rafael Benitez
    • Fabio Capello
    • Vicente Del Bosque
    • Alex Ferguson
    • Josep Guardiola
    • Guus Hiddink
    • Marcello Lippi
    • Jose Mourinho
    • Juande Ramos
    • Claudio Ranieri
    • Frank Riijkard
    • Bernd Schuster
    • Felipe Scolari
    • Luciano Spalletti
    • Arsene Wenger
    • Other / I'm not sure

Whatever happened to Juan Roman Riquelme? He was a favourite player of mine in his Villarreal days.

He is playing in Boca Juniors. I haven't watched him much lately, but around the time I refreshed this poll (late 08), I was continously watching Boca's games, and he was still awesome, and had become one of the greatest freekick takers in the world. :)

Whatever happened to Juan Roman Riquelme? He was a favourite player of mine in his Villarreal days.

He is playing in Boca Juniors. I haven't watched him much lately, but around the time I refreshed this poll (late 08), I was continously watching Boca's games, and he was still awesome, and had become one of the greatest freekick takers in the world. :)

He was brilliant at Villarreal - I always loved the vision he had and that languid style of his. Having said that, it sounds like his attitude has been fairly poor over the last couple of years. I did a bit of research and read that he retired from International football in March after falling out with Maradona. It's a shame really, he's still only 30 and it would have been great to see him play at the World Cup next summer. :/

Oh well. If nothing else, I'm pleased to hear that he's still playing well for Boca. Thanks, eNe! (Y)

You know, Riquelme 'retired' from Selección before (apparently due to his mother's adverse health - due to the stress of expectation on him); so he's got form on that front!

Plus there was all that hoo-ha about being El Diez. We retired that number shirt from the squad in honour of Maradona being the ultimate number 10. Didn't last too long though and he was said to be pissed off about that... Riquelme had the honour of then becoming El Diez and supposedly words were said when Maradona took over the "coaching" reigns. :whistle:

Now Messi's been given the shirt - and whilst I can't argue with him as a quality player, he's not cut from the same cloth as the former two in terms of being a central controller. But he is still young, maybe time will tell...

Recently our national team selection and 'management' has always been more about saving face and back-room politics than it is about success on the pitch. Some of the best players in the world - but always just a fucking backstabbing shambles!

You know, Riquelme 'retired' from Selección before (apparently due to his mother's adverse health - due to the stress of expectation on him); so he's got form on that front!

Plus there was all that hoo-ha about being El Diez. We retired that number shirt from the squad in honour of Maradona being the ultimate number 10. Didn't last too long though and he was said to be pissed off about that... Riquelme had the honour of then becoming El Diez and supposedly words were said when Maradona took over the "coaching" reigns. :whistle:

Now Messi's been given the shirt - and whilst I can't argue with him as a quality player, he's not cut from the same cloth as the former two in terms of being a central controller. But he is still young, maybe time will tell...

Recently our national team selection and 'management' has always been more about saving face and back-room politics than it is about success on the pitch. Some of the best players in the world - but always just a fucking backstabbing shambles!

It's easy to imagine Maradona getting upset by young upstarts like Messi and young-ish ones like Riquelme daring to wear number 10. But it always seems so funny when shirt numbers are the source of such controversy. We had an incident last year when Roy Keane gave one of the players the number 44 shirt, with the sole purpose of trying to wind him up. When the press asked Keane why, he said it was because 144 wasn't available :rofl:

It's easy to imagine Maradona getting upset by young upstarts like Messi and young-ish ones like Riquelme daring to wear number 10. But it always seems so funny when shirt numbers are the source of such controversy. We had an incident last year when Roy Keane gave one of the players the number 44 shirt, with the sole purpose of trying to wind him up. When the press asked Keane why, he said it was because 144 wasn't available :rofl:
^Yeah, and you couple that with typical Argentine bravado and you have 2 years of boardroom bollocks and coaching fiascos!

And hooray for Roy Keane! (Y)