Bellazon

The King of Football

eNe

The King of Football  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best football player right now?

• Alessandro Del Piero
    • Didier Drogba
    • Samuel Eto'o
    • Cesc Fabregas
    • Steven Gerrard
    • Thierry Henry
    • Zlatan Ibrahimoviç
    • Kaka'
    • Frank Lampard
    • Lionel Messi
    • Andrea Pirlo
    • Juan Roman Riquelme
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • Ronaldinho
    • Wayne Rooney
    • Luca Toni
    • Fernando Torres
    • Francesco Totti
    • David Villa
    • Other / I'm not sure
  2. 2. Who is the best GoalKeeper right now?

• Christian Abbiati
    • René Adler
    • Manuel Almunia
    • Gianluigi Buffon
    • Iker Casillas
    • Petr Čech
    • Julio Cesar
    • Gregory Coupet
    • Nelson Dida
    • Sebastian Frey
    • Heurelho Gomes
    • Carlos Kameni
    • Bogdan Lobont
    • Manuel Neuer
    • Pepe Reina
    • Edwin van der Sar
    • Francesco Toldo
    • Other / I'm not sure
  3. 3. Who is the best football coach right now?

• Carlo Ancelotti
    • Rafael Benitez
    • Fabio Capello
    • Vicente Del Bosque
    • Alex Ferguson
    • Josep Guardiola
    • Guus Hiddink
    • Marcello Lippi
    • Jose Mourinho
    • Juande Ramos
    • Claudio Ranieri
    • Frank Riijkard
    • Bernd Schuster
    • Felipe Scolari
    • Luciano Spalletti
    • Arsene Wenger
    • Other / I'm not sure

I voted for:

Thierry Henry - The most unselfish superstar ever, he has always had great scoring, and assisting numbers. Plus unlike most superstars, he continously helps midfielders. IMO he is still the most dangerous player if used in the right system. :yes:

Gianluigi Buffon - This one was the easiest one for me. Most of other keepers have great reflexes, but Buffon has an amazing jump ability, to go along with his all other skills. When he is in his day, its nearly impossible to score against him. :blueeyedbaby:

Fabio Capello - This one was the hardest one for me, because I admire what Wenger does on creating superstar from fram a bunch of unheard adolescentes, but Capello has proved himself for one too many times. He has won the title in Milan, than went to Real and win one in there, came back to Milan and win, go to Roma and win, go to Juve and win, and go back to Real and win again. He was always successful, no matter how bad his teams were before him joining them. Therefore I went with him. :)

^ Can't claim he was being unbiased, but judging by this season only, Zlatan would be my pick as well. He really has saved Inter so many times, and in games that he doesn't play Inter looks way worse. Plus he actually has continuously improved his game season after season, and now he is one of my top10 players as well (wierd, cause he wasn't among my favs when he was in Juve). :ninja:

P.S.: Are you guys boycotting my poll, because I didn't add Rory Delap as an option? :confused:

It was Nyron Nosworthy's absence that bothered me :rofl:

But I voted for...

Cristiano Ronaldo - Not because of his shining personality, but because he's totally changed the idea of what a wide midfielder should be, and raised the bar for everybody. He's got all the traditional qualities of a great winger, along with pace, strength, goalscoring and aerial ability. My admiration for him is getting more grudging with every passing week, but I can't see a single weakness in his game and it's still a joy to watch him play at his best.

Iker Casillas - He's often overlooked amongst Real Madrid's other superstars but if he were at any other club, people would be singing hymns about him. He's agile, fearless and probably the sole reason his team haven't fallen into a state of total chaos over the past few years. Already a living legend and still only 27, he could quite easily be playing at the highest level for another 10 years.

Fabio Capello - I had this one narrowed down to Capello, Ferguson and Mourinho, and it's an incredibly tight top three. Mourinho's hardly known anything but success in recent years, same goes for Fergie but over a longer period. He's been at the top for 20 years and showing no signs of slowing down. But Capello's had incredible success over a long period of time, and in different leagues and different situations. He's varied his tactics over the years to suit his teams - amazing flowing football at Roma, ruthless efficiency at Real Madrid. He's been there and done it all and he gets my vote through sheer adaptability.

When I mentioned traditional wing play I was thinking mostly of pace, movement and trickery but you make a good point about crossing. The only thing I would say about it is, I think old school wingers are few and far between these days, and the cross is becoming a bit of a lost art in the modern game. It's getting rarer now to see a player get to the byline and cross the ball - the average wide midfielder tends to play inside and on the edge of the box, looking to drive it low across the middle or cut inside and shoot. It's about as subtle as a sledgehammer but it can be just as effective if not more so. I like to see exciting, old school wingers as well, but crossing from the byline can be hit and miss at the best of times unless you're David Beckham (that reference was especially for you, Ire ;)).

As for his defending, I can't argue with you there. :rofl:

Making comparisons between players (especially between those who play in different positions on the pitch) isn't easy, so the criteria I used was to imagine that I was the manager of a completely new team and was allowed one star signing to build a team around. I'd still pick Ronaldo every time because his overall contribution going forward would be worth a stack of extra points over the course of a season.

if i hear one more word abt crissy prissy ronaldo, i'll puke my meal of carrots and tomato soup with tofurkey out... and that ain't a good sight :no: and smell :yuckky: :x :x :x

yea :|

I just came to this thread to see if you mentioned Beckham here :rofl:

Best player was really hard to pick, but if I could have anyone to build a team around, it would be Messi. He is just incredible and with a little more development in other aspects of his game, he will win the Ballon D'Or soon. Personally, I rate him above Ronaldo, but its hard to compare because even though they play in similar positions, they play totally different roles.

I voted Buffon for best keeper. Cech suddenly looks not so amazing since Moourinho left (although he is still awesome), Casillas would probably be the closest competitor but for all his amazing displays, to me he still seems a "reflex" keeper than a well-rounded one. I've stopped rating van der Sar since last season, and Reina isn't anything special, just dependable.

As for the coach, I voted unsure. I think Capello's achievement make him the best, but I hate his pragmatism :yuckky: Massive respect to Scolari :blueeyedbaby: (and begrudging respect to SAF <_<)

Happy now, eNe? :p

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

"Soccer" is for "suckers" :| . . . lol :laugh:

Seriously, I hate that there is another sport that Americans are calling football, but since they won't use the term "football" twice, I guess we shall make our peace with them calling it soccer. As Ed said there is nothing wrong with using it. :idk: