Bellazon

What's a supermodel for you?

Thiago.

What's a supermodel?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• A model who has been in the cover of Vogue US, Vogue Paris and Vogue Italy.
    • A model with a major contract with a major brand.
    • A model who walks in many runways every season.
    • A famous model. Everybody knows who she is.
    • Other. Say what do you think.
    • Everything above.

Wise. How come I didn't think that :| :rofl: I agree with you but I don't think she would have to do much runway

I completelly forgot that Sasha has been in the cover of all these magazines :/ Well, Caroline and Gemma have been in those covers too :yes:

As, the Joker said I think Gisele is the perfect example, she has been in the cover of all these mags more than once, she has had many great contracts and she is famous

To me a supermodel is a model who is well known by people that aren't interested in fashion or modeling. She must also make more than $1 million per year.

I agree, I think that is the primary difference between a model and a supermodel, at least for me. There are lots of girls who have been on the covers of Vogue and what not and they might be superior models in the fashion business but if they are not recognized by the average person then they are still models, not supermodels.

A supermodel is a celebrity, a model is not.

Gisele, Tyra and Heidi are all supermodels.

I agree with ez c and sam12. :yes: A model can have been on the cover of every high fashion mag ever, have huge contracts with major brands, and walked every runway, but that's all meaningless toward the title of "supermodel" if the average Joe has no idea who she is.

Tyra? The only big thing Tyra has done was VS, she's only famous because of her TV shows :/

Raica is very famous in Brazil just because she's Ronaldo's girlfriend <_< I wouldn't call her a supermodel :no:

Exactly, dont you see she is the perfect example. She has not done many catwalks for various big name designers and she has not appeared on any big Vogue covers but she is still considered a supermodel. Everyone knows her. You dont need all those big editorials and runway appearances to become a supermodel. You need to be known by the average person, just like a movie star.

Tyra? The only big thing Tyra has done was VS, she's only famous because of her TV shows :/

Raica is very famous in Brazil just because she's Ronaldo's girlfriend <_< I wouldn't call her a supermodel :no:

Exactly, dont you see she is the perfect example. She has not done many catwalks for various big name designers and she has not appeared on any big Vogue covers but she is still considered a supermodel. Everyone knows her. You dont need all those big editorials and runway appearances to become a supermodel. You need to be known by the average person, just like a movie star.

And that's exactly my point why she isn't a supermodel. She's just a famous TV hoster not a famous model.

And that's exactly my point why she isn't a supermodel. She's just a famous TV hoster not a famous model.

Don't be ridiculous! The only reason she could get gigs hosting TV is because she was a famous model first.

I don't know, it's all frame of reference. I guess I'll use Anna Kournikova as an example. Work with me here. Ok, so she plays tennis. Or used to. Whatever. And she sucked at tennis. But she played it. She became famous because of her looks. But is she really a tennis player? I bet no one would have known the tennis players ranked around her. But she was most likely coined a star by some idiot on ESPN. So we have Anna Kornikova the tennis star.

I'm really trying here. So if I apply this scenario to the world of fashion I'm sure I can make some point. Someone can start in the fashion world and deviate into other fields. She started in one career and ended in the other career. No doubt she earned notoriety in her first field but does her success translate into both fields or just one? Most people know Tyra Banks for her Sports Illustrated Issues than her fashion modeling. That's why the average guy on the street knows her and the same most likely goes for Heidi Klum and others. Those who are immersed in the fashion industry would say that both models are so much more than that which is true. But to be a sports star, super model, or music diva I think you first have to have a recognizeable name.

Once the person has the recognizeable name, they have to prove their ability to live up to their success. Once you saturate public perception so that people know you, you have to continue to pump out your best work. So I'd say that Heidi is a supermodel and so is Gisele. But go ahead, tear my logic apart.