Bellazon

Monika Jagaciak
Thumbnail

kadu

She just shared a new interview on her FB page in Polish. I tried translation directly but to no avail. Google translate was good but not accurate. It would be much appreciated if someone translated the interview.

Thank you for the IG pics and Vs pics.

Here it is: 

PD: Coco Chanel said once that fashion is not only about clothes. You can find fashion in the sky, in the street, fashion means ideas, it’s the way of living, everything that’s going on around us. Do you agree with her?
MJ: Definitely! I don’t know if I could define the term “fashion” myself. It seems to be very complicated. You can mostly see how it influences our looks, but it also has an influence on many other aspects of our lives.

PD: To my mind, fashion is also about authority figures. A lot people perceive you as one of those figures. Does the fact that all of your words and life decisions can have an impact on others’ lives scare you? 
MJ: I hope that if I become someone’s authority figure, it happens mainly because of the words I say and the decisions I make. I can only hope my words and decisions have a good influence on those who are involved. I reckon that the world’s most well-known mentors were focused on doing their job and didn’t really think how to become authority figures. It would make no sense. Doing something because of other people’s opinions (expectations) is quite a big problem nowadays. 

PD: Have mentors played an important part in your career?
MJ: Yes and no. They’ve played an important role in my life, and my career is, obviously, a big part of my life. I often repeat that we wouldn’t be here without our parents. It’s a cliché, but it really is true, in my case, in all possible aspects. I’m fully aware my parents did a great job. They’re definitely my top mentors.

PD: Fashion is very often perceived as something meaningless and consumerist, the industry that promotes sick ideas and whose insiders don’t know what real life looks like. Are you annoyed by such opinions? 
MJ: Fashion industry is not the only one which is perceived in such a way. I’m not annoyed when I hear that creating collections for the winter in 2016 is less important than finding a cure for cancer. I agree, we don’t save lives. Everyone has a place in the world, though. Fashion industry is very idiosyncratic and may be ridiculous for a passive spectator, but you know what? Not everyone has to understand it. 

PD: There was a time when people in the Polish media were mostly talking about models in a rather negative context. You know, an underweight girl, not really attractive, who staves off hunger by consuming cotton balls. The theory was debunked, yet people still have that stereotype in their heads. How do you feel, as a woman, when you hear such opinions?
MJ: I gave up fighting with such opinions a long time ago. I’ll answer this question in a similar way I answered the previous one. Not everyone is going to be infallible and that’s okay too, they really don’t have to. I want people I’m close to and I care for not to think this (stereotypical) way, that is important to me. I’ve never been caught at snacking cotton pads. 

PD: You work in one of the most feminised industries in the world. Did you get into the spirit of feminism too?
MJ: I have never thought about it, but I guess I did. Modelling is one of those few areas where women earn more than men. It may give a sense of superiority, but I think that the only valid argument which can make a woman feel superior is the fact that she’s the one who’s able to give birth to a baby. 

PD: You’ve been modelling since you were 13. You’d worked with Chanel, Valentino or Yves Saint Laurent while growing up. Do you think this whole fashion “family” influenced you, moulded you?
MJ:  Yes, I’ve been spoiled since the beginning as I’ve been working with the best people in the industry. Sometimes I meet people I worked with a few years ago and they’re shocked I’m only 21 because they forget that I was a teenager back then when we worked together for the first time. My experience is my advantage! I still have several years in this industry ahead of me. 

PD: And who is Monika Jagaciak today? 
MJ: I’m the same Monika from Puszczykowo near Poznań, only with new stories and more experience. 

PD: As a model you’ve accomplished almost everything. You were on Vogue covers, you were the face of Chanel, Calvin Klein and Alberta Ferretti, you walked in the shows of top designers. Is there anything left that you’d like to accomplish?
MJ: When it comes to my career, I’ve never had clear objectives so I can’t say if I have something I’d like to accomplish. I’m very glad I successfully started working for commercial clients, but it also makes me want to prove to myself I can still work as a high fashion model.  

PD: You said once that models grow up faster because of their job. Is it a negative or positive tendency?
MJ: We grow up faster for sure. Personally, I’d say it’s a big advantage of modelling. We can decide how to invest our money earlier than in any other industry, we can make decisions shaping our future, we are sitting pretty as we really have a wide variety of choices in many situations in life. 

PD: If your daughter told you at the age of 13 that she wants to be a model, what would you do, what would you say to her? 
MJ: First of all, I would make sure she’s mentally ready to be a model and I’d make sure she works with top agents who would help her get into that business gradually. That’s why I’d travelled with my mum till the age of 16. She could sleep peacefully then since she already knew what my work looked like. The only advice I would give to my daughter would be not to take yourself too seriously (not to think too highly of yourself)  when you get successful. 

PD: How did you react when you got the information about signing a contract with Victoria’s Secret from your agency?
MJ: I opened a bottle of champagne. 

PD: When you signed a contract with Victoria’s Secret, you automatically agreed to change your lifestyle. Were you afraid of those changes? 
MJ: I moved to New York mainly because of my work with Victoria’s Secret so it was a conscious decision. You have to work your way up to sign a contract with VS  so I wasn’t really afraid of doing it. I’d worked towards it since the beginning and it was like winning a medal after the run for which I’d been in training for almost two years. 

PD: Let’s move on to Poland. A lot of sceptics claim that Polish fashion business hit an unidentified snag which is why it doesn’t develop as fast as it should. Do you agree with them? 
MJ: Poland always has obstacles to overcome, but I believe right now is the best time in the whole history of our country. Little by little, we are moving on and the same goes for fashion. We may not be ready for Vogue yet, but it’s only a matter of time. 

PD: You’ve worked with the best people in the industry. Is there any advice you’d like to give to young and ambitious people who want to be a part of fashion world? 
MJ: You have to believe in your skills, that’s the most important thing. If you are self-confident, almost everything is possible. Also, you have to be ready to socialize with people  as connections are essential in that industry 

Sorry for the mistakes. 

I love how down to earth she is and the fact that she moved to NYC to work for Victoria's Secret shows how determinared and comitted she was to get that contract, I'm glad she got it (Y) Jac, Elsa & Lais are IMO the most relatable girls from the entire group of new girls, I still have my doubts about Jac as an Angel because she's not all that dumb bubbly like VS likes them to be but hopefully she'll stay with the company for a long time.