Bellazon

Rachel Zegler
Thumbnail

DarkOmenKnight

^It's also not necessarily fair to just pull off some numbers and calling it "the worst movie" of the franchise. Because it's not (this honor belongs to part 3 and 4). It is maybe less successful in numbers yes, but you also have to consider the changes cinema has made since the first HG movie entered theatres (or the 2nd part since this one is the most successful) thx to streaming services, peoples lack of capability to watch something longer than a freakin tik tok clip, the aftermath of a pandemic etc.

Jennifer Lawrence already was a phenomen back then and so was her HG character Katniss Everdeen.

549cbd934cd4c521bb37ec724a8cda7c3128e01a

Nowadays Jennifer Lawrence isn't capable to repeat this amount of success herself.  Her last movie "No hard feelings" made 88 millions worldwide. Heck, DiCaprios latest oscar vihacle "Killers of the Flower Moon" even failed to bring in the bugdet of 200 million dollars and he's considered being one of the last big living movie stars.

Songbirds and Snakes made three times what Lawrence and DiCaprio were capable to pull off this year at the box office. What does your calculation mean for their careers? Are movie stars simply dead?

Other reasons for different conditions for Songbirds and Snakes are simple. It couldn't built the same hype. Collins just wrote the book in 2020, the movie was shot 2 years later. A fandom is also evolving it's not simply freezing in time, waiting patiently for the next installment. So people, conditions and expectations, mindsets are different than 10 years ago. It's also a movie about the antagonist Coriolanus Snow. So it's not a story about heros but a villain. Tom Blyth who plays Snow is a complete stranger - he's saying himself after this movie he's capable for the first time for not only choosing several future projects but having the oppurtnity of several projects on his plate. I guess it has the same effect for Rachel as an actress. And isn't this the very definition of success in Hollywood for young new faces?

aef1853e8a5d3e7df97a224baf7762a51a1f4d89

(if he's doing smart choices he will continue to land on top in the future)

I mean the Twilight saga pulled of some very impressive numbers too (same for the books). Is it considered a good franchise though? LOL

f921ccc99c8645c314fdc7e0ac997dbd1ac035dc

However paramount didn't even expect Songbirds and Snakes being nearwhere a hit.

The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes May Have Arrived Too Late to Succeed

The Hunger Games Prequel Box Office Prediction: Will It Flop or Succeed?

The Hunger Games Emerges As The Surprise Victor Of 2023's Thanksgiving Box Office

“The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes” Surprises Everyone with Instant Success

‘The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes’ successfully stands on its own

Studios Can Learn From the Success of The Hunger Games Prequel

Memorable Fandom Moments of 2023

In short: if you like it or not it's considered a box office hit and in Hollywood nearly nothing else matters.

2023 Box Office in Review: A Year Where Filmmakers Flourished and Franchises Failed

Lionsgate — $586 million domestic

Top films: “John Wick: Chapter 4” ($187.1 million domestic/$432 million worldwide); “The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes” ($160.6 million domestic/$322 million worldwide as of Jan. 1)

Biggest busts: “Expend4bles” ($16.7 million domestic/$51.1 million worldwide); “Silent Night” ($7.9 million domestic/$9.7 million worldwide)

With its strategy of keeping production costs down and selling international theatrical rights to overseas distributors, Lionsgate does business in a much different way than the big legacy studios. That resulted in a year that didn’t light up the charts but allowed for a low-risk/high-reward approach to the post-COVID box office.

Though they were both well-received by critics and core audiences, “Are You There God? It’s Me Margaret” and “Joy Ride” never got traction with a wider audience and didn’t gross more than $20 million domestic. Then there was “Expend4bles,” a panned action sequel that grossed $16.7 million, a huge drop from the $103 million the first “Expendables” made in 2010.

But Lionsgate scored huge victories in reviving franchises that seemed played out. Though it didn’t reach the heights of its early 2010s heyday, the “Hunger Games” prequel “The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes” legged out to $313 million worldwide against a $100 million budget, while “John Wick: Chapter 4” went even further, to a series-high $432 million. The low-budget “Saw X” rode unusually high critics’ reviews to a $53 million domestic and $109 million global run.

Combine that with continued secondary support from faith-based partners Kingdom Story Company — which had a low-budget success with “Jesus Revolution” — and Lionsgate is finding stability in a turbulent period.

@Handsomest_Spinja rottentomatoes isn't even accurate. Movies (especially disney) paying for good reviews there.

On 1/4/2024 at 3:00 AM, Handsomest_Spinja said:

1) "Good" doesn't necessarily mean "successful". I mean I'm sure you could go to Rotten Tomatoes and pull up its score, but it would be disingenuous to bring it up at this point.

2 The film has held well weekend to weekend, and will ultimately be the second highest grosser of the Holiday season.

3) I don't think a single person thought it would touch the original movies. The YA craze has withered to the point nobody even bothered to complete the Divergent series.

Fair enough, why not. I was answering to Jade, whose argument was that her last movie made a lot of money. BTW, I don't think it's a terrible movie, but it's not a good movie either.

---

In any case, Rachel Zegler is a hateful person that's part of a movement that praises dissension, discord and disunity. She's unapologetically propagating a culture that fuels people's hatred for each other. This is a heinous project. Thankfully, more and more people wake up and oppose it. That's why Zegler is quite unpopular.:Amelie_wft:

How Rachel Zegler really became the most hated woman in Hollywood

Rachel Zegler is a 22-year-old movie star. But if you happen across any comments about her on social media, you could be forgiven for mistaking her as a person caught kicking a puppy. 

Maybe even a serial puppy kicker. The response to her very existence has been that overwhelmingly negative.

The reason why is not as complicated as you might expect.

At this point, I'm willing to declare myself the leader of the Leave Rachel Zegler Alone movement. From where I'm standing, her greatest sin, and the reason she has been seen as the 'most hated woman in Hollywood' is simply having theatre-kid energy.

How very dare she.

In the past couple of years, she has found herself carrying Hollywood's unenviable 'annoying woman' torch. Previous torchbearers include Anne Hathaway and Jennifer Lawrence, so... at least she's in good company?

What seems to set Zegler apart from these other famous names, however, is that she hasn't had a fall from grace, or had the public switch-up on her after a period of being the Golden Girl. The worst part about the Zegler example is that this – the weirdly overbearing public hate – has always been her story.

At 16, Zegler was quite literally plucked out of high school by Steven Spielberg to play Maria in his remake of West Side Story after she responded to an open casting call on Twitter in 2018 with a video of herself singing. The film was released in December 2021. It wasn't very successful at the box office, but critics loved it and Zegler even won a Golden Globe. Unfortunately for her, the promotion and release of the film was overshadowed by negativity that for some unfortunate reason (like perhaps, the fact that she was a young woman), fell almost squarely on her shoulders.

In June 2020, when West Side Story was in post-production, a Twitter user accused the film's lead actor Ansel Elgort of sexually assaulting her in 2014, when she was 17 and he was 20. Conveniently, Elgort did minimal press when the film was released that following year, leading to Zegler and her fellow female cast mates being constantly expected to answer for his allegations.

What she did say ("You just hope that the people involved are OK, that they are asked in a respectful manner and that they are given the opportunity to answer for themselves," she told the Hollywood Reporter) was considered by those following the story as a weak response.

In mid-2022, she told Elle the questions drastically impacted her mental health.

"I was sitting there having just turned 19, on the precipice of what was promised to be the biggest moment in my life, and was being held accountable [by the public] for accusations that not only had nothing to do with me but were made about a situation that was said to have occurred [five] years prior to when I had met and worked with this person," she said, reflecting on the press tour.

"With no thought to the fact that I was also 17 when I met this person, 17 when I worked with them, 17 and 18 when I had to do love scenes."

After its release, West Side Story was nominated for the most prestigious award in film: a Best Picture Oscar. 

She was one of the film's leads, so many assumed she would be in attendance at the ceremony. That was until Zegler responded to a fan question about what she was wearing to say actually, no, she wasn't invited.

At the time, she was filming for Disney's Snow White in the UK. After her tweet blew up and she admitted to being disappointed at not be able to support West Side Story in person, she was offered a presenting role at the ceremony.

She attended, aided by a shift in Snow White's production schedule.

The outrage to this was *wild*.

How dare she pause a (Disney) production to celebrate the success of another (Disney) production? How much money is she costing DISNEY? Who does she think she is? Such a diva!

Let's speed run through the other Zegler moments that the internet had an overwhelming problem with.

"What made you wanna step into this world of DC heroes?" she was asked at the premiere of her second-ever film, Shazam! Fury of the Gods.

"I needed a job," she replied. "I'm being so serious." Wow she is so disrespectful.

She later told Variety her Snow White remake would differ from the original storyline, because the original storyline was quite literally from 1937 and we've progressed, only somewhat, since then. How dare she come for an 80-year-old character we don't even really care about.

She joined a picket line during the SAG-AFTRA strike and said she deserved to be paid when people streamed her movies. The AUDACITY.

Snow White'release date was pushed from March 2024 to March 2025. It's her fault. Those in charge were obviously concerned about what she could say during a press tour. The impact of multiple strikes? CGI concerns? General post-production setbacks? No no no, couldn't be.

You get the idea. 

Zegler has not been able to say, or do, anything right — and it has been that way since the very moment she became a public figure. Based on the evidence, it boils down to the fact that she doesn't speak in the PR platitudes we expect of celebrities, gives off enthusiastic theatre kid energy, and is a headstrong, passionate, successful young woman.

In the past couple of years, I cannot count how many famous women we as a culture have 'reassessed'. From Britney Spears to Jennifer Lawrence to, yes, the ultimate formerly hated theatre kid: Hathaway.

It is worthwhile and important to look back at how women like them were treated unfairly. But then someone like Zegler comes along, says something as innocuous (and true) as a Disney princess from the 1930s is an outdated character, and then faces the same sexist wrath that impacted dozens before her.

Ironically, Zegler's public profile is finally being saved by the same dystopic world that built Lawrence up (before tearing her down). 

Zegler has been praised in recent weeks for her role as Lucy Gray Baird in The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes, a prequel story set 64 years before the events of The Hunger Games.

Now, 23 months after the release of her first film thrust her into a labyrinth of negativity, she is finally facing a reprieve. 

The reassessments have begun. Perhaps the greatest sign of all is that for the first time in months, Zegler has turned back on her Instagram comments (and they are NICE).

All it took was two years of hate and an already beloved franchise to slow the Rachel Zegler hate train. 

Is it too naïve to hope this same wave of hatred won't follow the next young female star who comes along? 

Source

^ Well, well, well.

I have an ex that worked as a journalist. She told me that the media (newspapers, magazines, websites, etc.) have very deep relationships with the entertainment industry (that's why you see actresses on covers of women's magazines when their movie is released).

I don't have proof, but... it's highly probable that Disney pays these shills in the media (Mamamia, Variety, etc.) to defend Zegler, since they're hemorrhaging money because of her.

The truth is simple: Zegler is a child of her times. She abides by the Woke cult, that many (many) viewers hate (more and more people as they're getting aware of it). Zegler is obnoxiously defending her political propaganda which is why people don't like her. Simple as that.

Anyway :Amelie_wft:

• 4 weeks later...

^Disney is in trouble for quite some time. Be it spending millions of dollars for their live action movies of cartoon classics no one asked for, the mess of marvel and star wars or the try to find their old spirit again with failures like WISH, ELEMENTAL, INDIANA JONES, HAUNTED MANSION etc. They just don't know when to stop. However over 300 million dollars for a remake with CGI dwarfs never sounded like the most brilliant idea in the first place LOL Especially when we had not 1 but 2 medicore tries of Snow White live action movies not so long ago.

Spoiler

SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN (2012)

eabf7c66947f974e7d9d5f05c9d1e0384d43bd68

4af64db8ee6f6d802954ec2193475869ce54e7ee

MIRROR MIRROR (2012)

3faaef31820ca6df91f61b90cb2967ed566e7bd0

b48dc100612d4d3ee9462c2c25119dd6f5083747

Also Gal Gadot will have a hard time to beat Julia Roberts AND Charlize Theron as the Evil Queen.

d445e9662417642be1601e1bcd33491d5fb85508

6e71403f4a48fbadab14bf24e24b3130bda77f68

• 2 weeks later...