Bellazon

Dunkirk 2017

Cult Icon

I saw the prologue.  Pretty tame and small scale. It's just 5 minutes long and shows a ship being loaded, and then a pair of spitfires intercepting 3 ME-109s and shooting down one of them.  (in a calm sort of way).  The prologue ends with the siren sounds of Stuka dive-bombers coming down against the ship.

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, Michael* said:
The latest full trailer has been released. Interestingly, without the drab, undersaturated colour palettes that WWII epics often seem to have, it feels that little bit more realistic to me. :unsure:

I'm disappointed at the trailer- it has nothing to do with the "race to the coast" battles which were very interesting (German panzer divisions fought French and British mobile divisions).

I'm not surprised they decided highlight the civilian boat aspect of Dunkirk.

Overall, I think Dunkirk is under-emphasized in the telling of WWII. It will be good for many people to learn more (or anything) about this story.

5 hours ago, jkjk said:

I'm not surprised they decided highlight the civilian boat aspect of Dunkirk.

Overall, I think Dunkirk is under-emphasized in the telling of WWII. It will be good for many people to learn more (or anything) about this story.

I recommend watching Atonement.  Besides being a good movie, it has a nice bit about Dunkirk.

I see this being pitched somewhere between the ordeal sequence of Saving Private Ryan and the large-scale beach sequence in Atonement, with Nolan able to indulge his eye for extravagant spectacle. Since it won't need to be crammed with tons of exposition in the way that something like Inception was, I think he'll be quite economical with the dialogue.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, frenchkiki said:

The city of Dunkirk doesn't exist. I think they land on the wrong beach. :dry:

It's Dunkerque!!!! :banghead::goose-wft:

It's that crazy change of language thing. Like Copenhagen vs København. Or Munich vs München.  :smile:

2 hours ago, frenchkiki said:

The city of Dunkirk doesn't exist. I think they land on the wrong beach. :dry:

It's Dunkerque!!!! :banghead::goose-wft:

But +1000, Dunkirk ... pfffff ! 

I didn't watch the movie, but i hope they didn't forget to talk about the huge sacrifice of the troops of the french general Fagalde, who made that possible, Dynamo was possible only thanks to them. 

26 minutes ago, jj3 said:

But +1000, Dunkirk ... pfffff ! 

I didn't watch the movie, but i hope they didn't forget to talk about the huge sacrifice of the troops of the french general Fagalde, who made that possible, Dynamo was possible only thanks to them. 

It's a reasonable statement to make that the UK (the US too) would likely not exist in their present form if it wasn't for France's help at multiple points in history.  :smile:

On ‎19‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 0:30 AM, Cult Icon said:

@Michael

The reviews are great but the film's trailer still looks like a medium-low budget flick- eg. like all those Russian war movies and such.

The critical reception really has been pretty rapturous so far. I anticipate this drawing far less fan criticism than Interstellar did, but for some reason, the closer we get to the release date, the more I've come to think of it as a back burner film rather than a must-see. It's kind of interesting though to watch Nolan seemingly moving further away from telling stories about characters and towards exploring ideas and experiences.

1 hour ago, Michael* said:

The critical reception really has been pretty rapturous so far. I anticipate this drawing far less fan criticism than Interstellar did, but for some reason, the closer we get to the release date, the more I've come to think of it as a back burner film rather than a must-see. It's kind of interesting though to watch Nolan seemingly moving further away from telling stories about characters and towards exploring ideas and experiences.

I had the opportunity to watch the film today but I decided not to. (this shows my interest level lol) I want to see more visuals from it before I decide whether or not I want to see it.