Bellazon

Westworld

Michael*

On ‎05‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 3:27 PM, gotportugal said:

plus leaves a completely open future for S2 and beyond

Yeah, a lot of the mysteries have been solved, others are still kind of lingering, although probably not to the point where the next season could write itself. It seems like there are only two places the show could really go if it keeps concentrating on Westworld (feuding and in-fighting between different factions trying to take control of what's left of the park, or all the hosts escaping into the real world), but I don't know if shifting focus to, say, Samurai World instead would appeal to me that much either. Just seems like a bit of a flawed proposition somehow. :mellow:

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, S2 picked up right where the story left off. Dolores is a strange one, she actually seems more like a robot now than she did at the beginning. Maeve too, but maybe to a lesser extent. It was tough to get on board with the theory that if a robot became fully self aware it would instantly go on a murderous and sadistic rampage, that just felt a little too much like a sci-fi trope to me. Overall though, I thought it did a good job of following up with the characters while also laying the groundwork for whatever the new, ongoing story arc is going to be.

9 minutes ago, Michael* said:

So, S2 picked up right where the story left off. Dolores is a strange one, she actually seems more like a robot now than she did at the beginning. Maeve too, but maybe to a lesser extent. It was tough to get on board with the theory that if a robot became fully self aware it would instantly go on a murderous and sadistic rampage, that just felt a little too much like a sci-fi trope to me. Overall though, I thought it did a good job of following up with the characters while also laying the groundwork for whatever the new, ongoing story arc is going to be.

That's what has seemed odd so far.  I haven't seen S2E1 yet but the killer Dolores doesn't make sense from her characterization.  I thought that 'twist' and transition at the end of S1 wasn't smooth.   It would seem more like a robot villain would become the killer.  The whole robots vs. humans is a bit too ambitious for the current situation... (skynet).  Perhaps Dolores doesn't have free will and is in fact just following Ford's directives.

Also, there appears to be a "Samurai world" going on in the next episode.

I liked that neat touch of bringing Ford back through the Child robot.  I suspect that this isn't the last we'll hear of him.  He's essentially the park's A.I. now..

4 minutes ago, Cult Icon said:

That's what has seemed odd so far.  I haven't seen S2E1 yet but the killer Dolores doesn't make sense from her characterization.  I thought that 'twist' and transition at the end of S1 wasn't smooth.   It would seem more like a robot villain would become the killer.  The whole robots vs. humans is a bit too ambitious for the current situation... (skynet).  Perhaps Dolores doesn't have free will and is in fact just following Ford's directives.

Also, there appears to be a "Samurai world" going on in the next episode.

I liked that neat touch of bringing Ford back through the Child robot.  I suspect that this isn't the last we'll hear of him.  He's essentially the park's A.I. now..

It was an odd one, because the rampage definitely wasn't what I expected. Maeve went on one in S1 to get out of Westworld, which we then learned was just code, but her breaking that code to escape and find her 'daughter' felt like a real turning point for the character. Dolores seemed to reach a similar turning point, only to go straight into 'kill all humans' mode. I guess it all goes back to the question of whether Ford is still pulling the strings in some way, although I'm not sure if it's really necessary that the consciousness of the robots is still in question at this point. :unsure:

21 hours ago, jkjk said:

It seems to me that the killing rampage was/is motivated by what the humans did to them for years. That may be too simplistic, but that was the impression I got.

Yes but the 'build up' of seething/repressed rage isn't really shown.  S1 largely shows them as suffering as victims , but there needs to be a transition from victim to vengeful rage.  Rage comes from a long period of repressed anger/resentment.

The gap reminds me a bit of the "Dark Knight Rises".  At the end of the "Dark Knight" you have batman at the beginning of his downfall and at the beginning of "Rises" he's completely burned out, depressed, and withdrawn from public life.  The transition isn't shown (like the antagonist of "Breaking Bad"  is known for).

I'll comment more when I get a chance to watch S2E1

^^  Can't argue with you on that, there was no time to build up anything (unless the rage can build up before they have consciousness, which seems unlikely).

I'm not going to guess what reason they writers may have, but I hope they have one.

1 hour ago, jkjk said:

^^  Can't argue with you on that, there was no time to build up anything (unless the rage can build up before they have consciousness, which seems unlikely).

I'm not going to guess what reason they writers may have, but I hope they have one.

yea they had less than 1-2 episodes to show that (with Dolares' awakening)

a hint:

Arnold as AI: