Bellazon

Black Panther (2018)

toodarnhot

1 hour ago, jkjk said:

No new information please, Marvel. If I get any more excited, there is no way the movie can live up to it.

All the elements seem to be there for it to live up to expectations. Looking forward to Jordan and Nyong'o eating up the screentime. :laugh:

On ‎19‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:22 PM, Chispis said:

I didn't knew they were going to make a film of black panther :bounce:hope the don't do a shitty film, the story has a lot of potential

I think going forward, the secret to making decent comic book films is going to be for the studios to stop being so fussy about tone and let talented directors give us their vision. Growing up, I never read comics wanting them all to look the same, the different styles and approaches were part of what made them such fun.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Amazing numbers from the movie so far. It's still too early to guess the numbers for most countries, but the movie is likely to reach similar numbers as Jurassic World, Avengers, and The Last Jedi in North America.

I don't think anyone predicted that level of success. As a result, a sequel is almost certain.

• 1 month later...

It's still early to predict how much the movie will make worldwide, but it seems likely to be the 3rd highest grossing movie all time in North America behind The Force Awakens and Avatar.

It will be interesting to see how Infinity War compares when it comes out.

On 4/6/2018 at 2:36 AM, jkjk said:

It's still early to predict how much the movie will make worldwide, but it seems likely to be the 3rd highest grossing movie all time in North America behind The Force Awakens and Avatar.

It will be interesting to see how Infinity War compares when it comes out.

The weird thing is that even now, it doesn't seem to have run out of steam, so much so that it could still be in cinemas and still raking in money by the time Infinity War opens. I doubt even the most optimistic Marvel fan would have anticipated that kind of longevity. And as much as I think Infinity War will have the opening weekend title wrapped up, I'm not sure it'll have as much staying power as Panther.

4 hours ago, Michael* said:

I doubt even the most optimistic Marvel fan would have anticipated that kind of longevity.

To add to that, I doubt anyone at Marvel Studios or Disney would have anticipated the longevity or the amount of money made either.

4 hours ago, Michael* said:

And as much as I think Infinity War will have the opening weekend title wrapped up, I'm not sure it'll have as much staying power as Panther.

The current projections do not have Infinity War making as much as Black Panther, but those can be wrong, of course.

On 4/11/2018 at 9:13 PM, jkjk said:

To add to that, I doubt anyone at Marvel Studios or Disney would have anticipated the longevity or the amount of money made either.

Oh, most definitely. What I'd be interested to know too, although obviously it's not really something that can ever be measured, is how much the longevity of Panther was down to it being built on the foundations laid by the previous MCU movies. It's a superb movie in its own right of course, but to understand how we got it, how we got here and why so much faith was placed in the cast and Ryan Coogler, it's difficult to look at it in isolation from the successes of past titles and the way Marvel has been handling its properties.

That being said, I thought one of the many great things about Panther was that it works as a standalone piece, and that you don’t really need to know anything about the other films to appreciate it. If that’s what’s keeping people from seeing it in cinemas, they shouldn't let it. :hehe:

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I am so shuttered... :(

"US actor Chadwick Boseman, best known for playing Black Panther in the hit Marvel superhero franchise, has died of cancer aged 43. He died at home in Los Angeles with his wife and family by his side, a statement posted on social media said. Boseman was diagnosed with colon cancer four years ago but had not made the information public."

Rest in Power, King.

2 hours ago, ArianaVSCouture said:

I am so shuttered... :(

What terrible news to wake up to, just absolutely heartbreaking. I guess, given how much his body of work speaks for itself, it feels a bit unseemly to remember him for just one role, but Boseman as T'Challa is every bit as timeless and iconic as Christopher Reeve was as Superman.

12 hours ago, Michael* said:

What terrible news to wake up to, just absolutely heartbreaking. I guess, given how much his body of work speaks for itself, it feels a bit unseemly to remember him for just one role, but Boseman as T'Challa is every bit as timeless and iconic as Christopher Reeve was as Superman.

I feel fortunate that I was in the position of being a fan of Chadwick before he was cast as T'Challa. Given the size of the role and the movie, it only makes sense that many (most?) people will only think of him in that role.

They are probably too different for this to be a reasonable comparison, but thinking about Chadwick's death made me think of James Dean. It's not really about the specifics but that both were on the rise in their careers. I know Chadwick was older than James, but it felt like his career was definitely still on the way up to even better roles and movies.

Too sad in many ways.

18 hours ago, jkjk said:

I feel fortunate that I was in the position of being a fan of Chadwick before he was cast as T'Challa. Given the size of the role and the movie, it only makes sense that many (most?) people will only think of him in that role.

They are probably too different for this to be a reasonable comparison, but thinking about Chadwick's death made me think of James Dean. It's not really about the specifics but that both were on the rise in their careers. I know Chadwick was older than James, but it felt like his career was definitely still on the way up to even better roles and movies.

Too sad in many ways.

For sure, as marvellous as Panther was, I really felt like the best was yet to come for him.

I was reminded of a response he once gave to Martin Scorsese's criticism of Marvel films, which I thought showed remarkable balance and eloquence, and was a wonderful counterpoint to the adversarial nature of that particular debate. Presumably a lot of actors would have given a trite answer or otherwise dodged the question, but his answer made for one of the most impressive interviews I've ever heard or read.

In terms of comparable situations, I must confess, it was Heath Ledger that entered my mind. Both men had a certain poise and an understated power onscreen that is very rare, and seemed similarly destined to enjoy careers of great longevity.