Bellazon

Crystal Renn
Thumbnail

Lolita

Model Crystal Renn on Going from Size 0 to 12

By Charlotte Triggs

Tuesday February 23, 2010 06:15 PM EST

She suffered from a crippling eating disorder to maintain the size 0 frame she needed to work in the fashion industry, but eventually found greater fame as a size 12 model. Now Crystal Renn is speaking out about the changes she thinks the fashion industry should make.

"We, as a culture, are fixated, and perhaps even in an unhealthy way, with dress size and the scale size," Renn said in a new interview with ABC's Nightline, during which she debated the question, "Is it Okay to be Fat?"

The model, who has also been an advocate for a wider array of sample sizes (most runway samples are a size 0 or 2), also says she's faced discrimination due to her weight. "Fat people are absolutely discriminated against. I know this because of the type of modeling I do … If it wasn't, then I'd be all over the runways, every single runway, like everyone else," she says.

Instead, she's had to make her mark in a specialized market – on her own terms. "It's about the healthy eating habits that you have, and wherever your body falls," says Renn. "Whether that is actually a four or an 18, [doesn't matter]."

"Having had an eating disorder, I was obsessed with numbers and percentages – how many minutes have I been on the treadmill, how many calories have I consumed today?" says Renn. "When you start obsessing about numbers you get nowhere. It really is about, you know, finding balance and moderation within yourself and are you healthy."

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
crystal169ef.jpg

Chrystal Renn

Age 19

Height 5'9

From The USA

Crystal Renn (b. 1987) is a plus-size model currently represented by Ford Models in New York and NeXt in Miami.

Crystal started her modeling career in high fashion at the age of 14 after being told to lose almost a third of her total body weight. This weight loss eventually triggered a health crisis, causing her to reassess her diet and exercise habits. After gaining 30 pounds (approx. 15 kg) and re-emerging as a much-healthier U.S. size 14, Crystal was reclassified by her agents as a plus-size model, and now enjoys a highly successful career.

In addition to becoming a favourite of notable fashion photographer Steven Meisel, Crystal has contracts with many high-profile plus-sized clothing manufacturers in the U.S. such as Lane Bryant and Torrid, and also appeared on the runway for Jean-Paul Gaultier in his Spring/Summer pr�t-�-porter 2006 collection in Paris, garnering favorable media interest.

Credit: Wikipedia.org

post-414-1146854529_thumb.jpgpost-414-1146854555_thumb.jpgpost-414-1146854562_thumb.jpgpost-414-1146854567_thumb.jpgpost-414-1146854549_thumb.jpg

Links:

Models.com - Tales of a Model: Crystal Renn

Judgmentofparis.com

You sure that first picture is her? Doesn't look like it.