Bellazon

Doutzen Kroes
Thumbnail

azkid

Miami Herald Interview

If you noticed crowds forming last Tuesday at three different Victoria’s Secret Dade stores, here’s the reason: Doutzen Kroes. The (need we say?) gorgeous underwear model was in town to bring attention to a cause near and dear to her, um, nether-regions: The lingerie retailer’s new VS Sport Collection. We managed to pull the NYC-based Dutch catwalker away from the thongs, we mean throngs, to chat:

How do you maintain your physique?

I eat healthy, and I stay active. I do something called Ballet Beautiful, based on dancer training. It’s tough and fun. I love my trainer, who always mixes up sessions with jump rope and boxing. My least favorite workout is probably yoga. I know it’s very calming, but I prefer a workout that is fast and loud and has a Beyoncé soundtrack!

What else are you working on besides modeling?

I'm also a wife and mother, which is fun, amazing and exhausting! It wasn’t until I met my husband [Dutch DJ Sunnery James] and we had our son [Phyllon] that I realized how important it is to be focused on something other than your own happiness. I'm also an ambassador for Dance for Life, which is a charity based in Holland, that raises awareness about HIV and AIDS among young people.

I see Phyllon is going to be 3. What kind of fun things is he up to now?

You mean, what is he NOT up to now? He loves his bike, and he loves it when my husband records or plays music; he’s pretty obsessed with every technological device we have. And he’s becoming such a little actor, making us laugh.

Can you name your favorite modeling shoot?

Wow, tough question, mainly because I've been part of so many incredible ones. Two that spring to mind is being on the Pirelli calendar with Patrick Demarchelier in China. To work with him was amazing and I had never been there before, so I brought my sister with me. After we were done, we stayed for a few days and traveled, which was just incredible. The second favorite shoot was my first Italian Vogue cover with Steven Meisel.

What is a typical day like for you?

I don't think I ever have a so-called typical day. When I work, I’m out of the house before my son wakes up, and if my husband is in town, it’s such a rare treat, and we’ll plan a family day. I will say the most consistent thing I do on a daily basis is make breakfast for my son, take him to school, check in via email, the phone or text with my family and agents, and make the time to spend with my fellas. I adore cooking for them.

What is something you want readers to know about you?

It’s interesting because I don't see myself as someone that people would be interested in. I’m very lucky that I've been able to build a successful career. I think the most important thing I can do is be a positive role model.

Is there anyone in your profession who inspires you?

I've had the good fortune of working with so many great ladies many of whom are good friends. I do have a great deal of admiration for the models who are juggling careers with motherhood, as well as so many who use their celebrity to raise awareness and funds for charities and social causes.

What is your guilty pleasure foodwise?

Definitely chocolate.

What is your dream project?

To be a Bond Girl, but I’m not sure if I want to be a villain or the love interest.

Let’s get real. How many pairs of underwear do you own?

I have tons and tons. Thongs, boy shorts, granny panties — you name it!