Bellazon

Janet Jackson
Thumbnail

Allie

Janet Jackson bringing tour to North America

So far, cities like Taipei, Manila and Singapore have been selected as stops on Janet Jackson’s upcoming world tour, but stateside fans have nothing to worry about: Ms. Jackson (if you’re nasty, of course) will be bringing her show to North America, as well.

The 44-year-old singer announced in November that she was launching her largest world tour, and she asked fans to get in on the act by selecting cities she should make a stop in on her website, janetjackson.com.

The songs will be nothing but Jackson's No. 1 hits, and on Monday, she announced the cities she'll hit when she brings her performance to the U.S. and Canada. The tour dates are as follows:

Houston, TX: March 4, Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo

Chicago, IL: March 7 & 8, The Chicago Theatre

Toronto, ON, Canada: March 12, Sony Centre for the Performing Arts

Uncasville, CT: March 16, Mohegan Sun Arena

New York, NY: March 18, Radio City Music Hall

Washington, DC: March 22, DAR Constitution Hall

Atlantic City, NJ: March 25 & 26, Borgata Spa & Resort Event Center

Atlanta, GA: March 29, Fox Theatre

Saint Louis, MO: March 31, Fox Theatre

Grand Prairie, TX: April 2, Verizon Theatre

Denver, CO: April 6, Wells Fargo Theatre at the Colorado Convention Center

Phoenix, AZ: April 8, Comerica Theatre

Santa Barbara, CA: April 9, Santa Barbara Bowl

Los Angeles, CA: April 14, Gibson Amphitheatre

San Francisco, CA: April 19, Bill Graham Civic Auditorium

Las Vegas, NV: April 22 & 23, Caesars Palace – The Colosseum

The venues, according to a statement, where chosen for their intimacy, as Jackson’s hoping to get “up and close and personal” with her fans.

"I thank my fans who have voted and helped me choose the cities we are announcing today. Each of you are so important to me,” Jackson said in a statement. “These concerts are not about special effects. This is a love affair between me and those of you who have supported me and my work for all these years.”

And that’s not all: Jackson’s also planning to highlight 20 young leaders under 20 in each of the cities on her tour.

“I’m asking my fans and their friends, [p]arents, relatives, neighbors and teachers to nominate five people to qualify as one of the 20 under 20 in each place I will perform,” Jackson said. “At each concert the 20 people chosen and the person who nominated them will be VIP guests at my show. I will invite the 20 sponsors and the 20 winners to the concert and backstage. There are many young people changing the world and I want them to be recognized during my tour.”

Know someone who qualifies? Head to janetjackson.com to submit a nomination.

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01/10/ja...-north-america/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

^ she looks great!

Janet Jackson: The Blast Interview

By Eiko Watanabe

Having sold more than 100 million records worldwide, five-time Grammy award winner Janet Jackson one of the most well-known pop and R&B artists of all time.

With her countless hit songs like “Together Again,” “Rhythm Nation,” “Miss You Much,” and “All for You,” Janet is currently on the road. But it’s a little different this time. In her “Number Ones: Up Close and Personal” tour, she strongly focuses on the connection between the fans and herself at shows.

The tour also coincides with her recently released biography last month. Despite the busy schedule, Jackson kindly sat for an interview with Blast about her long journey as a fearless entertainer.

BLAST: You are currently on the road with Mindless Behavior. How is the tour going so far?

JANET JACKSON: Being onstage, performing for my fans is always fun for me. I get so much energy from them and it is great to be on tour. I talked with the kids from Mindless Behavior over the phone a few years back, and fell in love with them. I decided to have them open for me after seeing them on YouTube. They are not on the entire tour with me, but I am excited to have everyone in New York get to know them. They are so talented.

BLAST: For this tour, the venues are relatively smaller, compared to the ones where you’ve performed in your previous tours. Also, you only perform your ‘number one’ tunes this time. Is there any reason behind all these decisions?

JJ: I was at Radio City Music Hall for a private performance last year. It was so much fun. While I was on stage, I could look out and see the faces of everyone in the audience. All I could think of during the show was “this is exactly how I wanted to do my next tour, up close and personal.” I am excited to be back in Radio City Music Hall for the public dates. I just put out two CD’s from the “Number Ones” collection and that is why I have chosen the set list. The fans are really enjoying it and so am I. It has been a lot of fun!

BLAST: What can we expect to see at your shows during the current tour? Is there any surprise?

JJ: This tour is not about special effects. It is just me and my fans. I have been doing things a little different in each city. This show is a love affair between me and the fans.

BLAST: You’ve released 10 studio albums so far, and even your recent greatest hits compilation album, Number Ones, has 34 tracks. Which song do you love performing the most?

JJ: I really can’t answer that. I love to sign all of them. My music is so personal to me. I write about what is going on in my life at that time so whenever I am singing these songs, they bring back special memories.

BLAST: Looking back at when you released your self-titled debut album in 1982, what do you think has driven you to keep going at full speed for so long in the music industry?

JJ: Though singing was never my first choice, I am very grateful for the success I have had. I am a very creative person and I love creating…music, tours, acting roles. I am having too much fun to quit. Besides, I still have so much more that I want to accomplish in my life and career.

BLAST: A lot of musicians are big fans of yours, and some of them grew up watching you perform. You have been a huge positive influence on the younger generation of musicians.

JJ: I am grateful to hear that. The way was paved for me by women like Lena Horne, Dorothy Dandridge and Diana Ross. I hope that in some small way, I have been able to do that for others.

BLAST: Can we get excited to listen to new music coming from you?

JJ: Absolutely. Though I don’t know what it will be yet, I plan to go back into the studio later this year.

BLAST: You released your biography book “True You: A Journey to Finding and Loving Yourself” on Feb 15. What was the main message that you wanted to convey to the readers?

JJ: I want readers, specially the kids, to know that they are perfect just the way they are. If there was a book like it when I was a kid, I would have read it. There was nothing that I really liked about myself, it was like, I was all alone, and I felt like there was nobody I could talk to. I finally did talk to someone and only then did I feel like things started to get better. It has been a long road, but I am happy with my life now.

BLAST: In the book, you talk about your struggles with weight loss, self-esteem, and relationships. Those issues are not uncommon and there are so many people out there who are not able to like themselves. If you are going to give them advice, what would you say?

JJ: I talk a lot about this topic in “True You.” If I had to say just one thing, I recommend that people find someone that they can talk to about anything.

BLAST: The book recently ranked number one on New York Times Bestseller list.

JJ: I was told that we ranked in that position. I was so surprised but grateful to everyone that supported “True You” and made that possible.

BLAST: Even though you’ve gone through a lot of struggles including what you wrote in your book, you always look fearless and shining onstage, which encourages a lot of people. How do you transform all the pain into something creative and positive through music?

JJ: Whenever I am creating my music, or a tour, I am inspired by whatever is going on in my life. It is very healing and rewarding to take those experiences, the good and the bad, and create something that is positive. I hope that the fans can relate to what I create.

BLAST: What’s the next project that you will work on after this tour?

JJ: (laughs) I have never been great at multi-tasking, but I am working on that. I am having fun with everything that I am doing right now. The CD will be my next project at the moment.

Janet declined to answer questions about her brother, Michael Jackson. Janet plays Tuesday at the Wang Theatre in Boston. She plays Mohegan Sun Arena in Connecticut on Wednesday before a Friday, Saturday, Monday stop at Radio City Music Hall in New York.

http://blastmagazine.com/the-magazine/ente...last-interview/

Fans show Janet Jackson: Miss You Much

By Lauren Carter

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Just call it a reunion of sorts: Class of Rhythm Nation 1814.

Janet Jackson’s show at the sold-out Wang Theatre last night didn’t really feel like a run-of-the-mill concert.

It was more like reconnecting with the best friend you haven’t seen in years, or sipping a glass of wine and slipping on a pair of pajamas — sexy pajamas, of course — after a stressful day. Except with a lot of lights, wardrobe changes, backup dancers and an eight- piece band going full-force.

Jackson’s 105-minute set as part of her “Number Ones: Up Close and Personal Tour” was a raucous affair that had grown men shrieking and singing like they were teen girls at a Justin Bieber concert, with a staggering lineup of hits such as “Miss You Much” and “Nasty” that likely served as the coming-of-age soundtrack for most in attendance.

Images of the pop icon and clips of her acting exploits flashed onscreen during wardrobe changes, and it hardly felt like stalling.

Janet-as-technician oozed whichever emo- tion the song at hand demanded.

Her voice — especially during a ballad segment that included “Let’s Wait Awhile” and a gorgeous “Again” — held up well live, and she nimbly juggled the demands of both crooning and choreography.

Restrained movements and a focus on vocals at the outset gave way to an all-out dance onslaught during “If,” “Rhythm Nation” and “Scream,” when she rightfully deferred to her backing tracks while recreating the signature moves from her videos.

At times — particularly during an opening blitz that included “Pleasure Principle,” “Control,” and “Feedback” — Jack- son appeared fierce and determined, her short hair slicked down, her android bodysuit hugging every curve, a steely glint in her eye ready to ward off any would-be detractors.

During songs such as “Alright” and “Escapade” she morphed to playful and charming, flashing the signature smile that could melt the heart of Mr. Freeze himself.

“Together Again” seemed as much a promise to fans as to late older brother Michael, as Janet paused, fought back tears and pointed to the sky as childhood images of the pair filled the screen behind her.

Save for a couple of shout-outs to Boston, 44-year-old Jackson made little between-song chatter. Perhaps she wanted the songs to speak for themselves.

It made sense that Jackson chose Mindless Behavior to open the show, as the all-male teen foursome combined slinky dance moves and explosive r & b reminsicent of Jackson herself.

http://www.bostonherald.com/entertainment/...p;position=also

Janet Jackson Learns to Love Herself, Talks 'True You' Book

Janet Jackson is one of the bestselling recording artists in contemporary music history. The legendary R&B and pop icon's music, videos and choreography have influenced the careers of countless artists including Britney Spears, Jennifer Lopez, Toni Braxton, Ciara, Rihanna and Usher. Janet, an accomplished actress on both television and the big screen, and a Grammy Award winning singer/songwriter, is now a New York Times bestselling author.

Janet's name became synonymous with her enviable six-pack and her non-apologetic approach to sexuality in her music and performance. It may therefore come as a surprise that the 'Nasty' singer has privately battled body image issues since she was a pre-teen. As Ms. Jackson approaches her 45th birthday (May 16), she opens up in a tell-all book that reveals her lifelong struggle with poor self-esteem, her battles with weight and her personal relationships. 'True You: A Journey to Finding and Loving Yourself' is one part autobiography, one part self-help manual. The candid story is Janet's first book, and her attempt to help others embrace and love themselves for who they are.

As Janet preps for her upcoming tour and her return to the studio later this year, she talks with The BoomBox about the emotional making of 'True You,' her favorite new artists and her new special someone.

What about your life, at this point in time, has encouraged you to finally reveal your secret personal struggles and put this book out?

It has been a long road, but I am finally happy with my life. 'True You' is not an autobiography, but it does have anecdotes from my life. When I was a kid, I didn't like anything about myself, I didn't feel that I could talk to anyone. I felt so alone. It was important for me to share these stories so people can see that they are not alone. I didn't know of a book like this when I was growing up or I would have read it. It would have helped me so much and that is why I decided to write 'True You'.

How do you define the 'True You?'

Achieving your true you is going to be different for everyone. For me, it is about having confidence in myself, loving myself for how I am and living a happy life.

What was the hardest chapter to write in 'True You?' and why?

The whole book was difficult to write. I am a very private person. I guess I always have been, even as a child. I am not accustomed to revealing that much about myself.

Where were you and what was your reaction when 'True You' topped the 'New York Times' bestseller list?

I was on tour when I learned that 'True You' became a No. 1 'New York Times' bestseller. My reaction is that I am so grateful to everyone who supported it and made it possible.

You write, "I want this book to make a difference." Who has made the biggest difference in your life?

There is a person, who I can't name, but I call him "the Cowboy." He was the first person that I could open up to -- truly open up to. Once I did that, my life started to get better. I hope that everyone will find that one person that they can trust with anything, and share the secrets that they feel are the biggest in their lives. It is so freeing.

The full title of your book is 'True You: A Journey to Finding and Loving Yourself.' What is something that you love about yourself now, but didn't in the past?

[Laughs] I have come to love my big ol' smile.

What's one piece of advice Janet today would give Janet at 16?

Fasten your seat belt, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

What is your favorite recipe in the book and where does it hail from?

I love food. It would be easier for me to pick a style of food that I don't love over one that is my favorite [laughs]. I worked with Chef Andre on all the recipes. My team and I would sit down and try all of them. We would make suggestions and Chef Andre would make changes. It was so much fun. How could I pick just one?

Did writing 'True You' inspire any new music; did it lead to any new songwriting?

I will be going into the studio later this year. I am not sure that 'True You' directly inspired that decision or not. I have grown during the process of writing 'True You' though, and that will show up in there somewhere. My music is inspired by what is going on in my life, so how could it not?

What is your advice to young girls and women today faced with impossible standards of beauty and perfection from mass media and struggling with low self-esteem?

Just remember that you are perfect just the way you are. Not everyone can look like the women on the covers of magazines. I know I can't. Find your own true you, not what someone else thinks you should be, and be the best at that.

Bullying is a prevalent issue today in schools. Were you ever bullied as kid? Can you recall a certain experience, and what effect it had on you? What do you have to say to kids who are bullied at school today?

I can't say that I've been bullied, but I have been teased. It was hard and has a lasting effect. If you are being bullied, please know that it gets better. You move away, you graduate, go to college, whatever. You move on and are not confronted by the kids that are bullying you. Your life will get better and you will find the happiness that you feel is not attainable.

What is your favorite childhood memory?

I have so many. I remember as kids we always had chores. We would be cleaning the kitchen, doing the dishes, washing the counters, stuff like that. While we were in the middle of our chores, we would be writing songs, singing. It was a lot of fun.

You have conquered acting and music, and now have penned your first book -- what else is on your "To Do" list of things to accomplish?

There are so many things that I still want to accomplish in my life and career. How could I tell you just one?

Who are your favorite new artists out right now? Who are you listening to?

My music taste is so eclectic. I can be listening to samba, bossa nova or jazz one day -- Lady Gaga or Bruno Mars the next. It just depends on the day.

What are you most nervous about when hitting the stage on your current tour?

I was most nervous about creating a show that would allow people who are coming to forget their troubles. Even if it is only for a few hours, it seems like people are enjoying the show. I know that I am.

What is (still) your favorite song to play on tour? How does it make you feel onstage and what reaction does it get from your crowds?

I love performing all my songs. The audience seems to be having a great time and that gives me so much energy. Each song is personal to me and I recall what I was going through at the time that I wrote it.

What do you think makes a great love song?

Honesty!

Is there a special someone in your life right now?

[Laughs] Yes, there is. He is very private so that is all I am going to say!

What are the three most important things in your life?

God, family and self.

http://www.theboombox.com/2011/03/22/janet-jackson-true-you/

Janet Jackson gets up close and personal

Janet Jackson has always come off a little interview-shy, so it was no surprise when she would agree only to an email interview to talk about her tour.

• Why did you decide to do an "Up Close and Personal" tour for the first time, and why now?

I was doing a private date at Radio City Music Hall last year. It was so much fun. I could see everyone in the audience, and all I could think about during the show was this is what I wanted to do for my next tour.

• How does it compare to the arena tours your fan are used to?

The arena tours are fun, but this tour is not about pyrotechnics or other production elements that I have used in my arena tours. This is a much more intimate show. It's just about me and the audience. It is a thank-you for all the fans who have supported me all these years.

• Had you ever wanted to do this before?

Yes, I have. I had thought about it in the past, but I just didn't want to do it until now.

• How did the show change as it moved from overseas to the United States?

I am doing something a little different at all the shows. One of the bigger changes is that we made a few costume changes.

• Were any songs deleted or added?

I am only performing songs that have been No. 1's for me. I have made some changes, but that keeps me pretty set on the song choices.

• Is it true you deleted your classic segment where you seduce a man from the audience?

Is that classic? I guess you will have to come to the show and see.

• How did you go about deciding which No. 1's to include?

Well, I wish I could sing them all, but we would be there all night — not that I would mind. I try to tell a story in each section of the show, and that helps me decide what songs I put in.

• What's your favorite No. 1?

I really can't answer that question. It is kind of like asking which child is your favorite. They are so personal to me.

• Which No. 1 do you consider most personal?

When I create my music, it is inspired by what is going on in my life. Each song reminds me of a special moment that I have lived.

• How does it feel performing "Scream" in concert, and what do you remember most about recording the song/filming the video with your brother Michael?

I love singing "Scream." I remember that, no matter what, I always had my brother's back. There is not a day that goes by that I don't think of Mike. I miss him very much.

• How do you work (new songs) "Make Me" and "Nothing" into the show, and what went into the decision to include them?

They are my most recent No. 1 songs, so I couldn't imagine doing the show without them.

• Are you working on new music, and what direction do you see yourself heading?

I have never been great at multitasking. I am working on that now. I have had a lot of fun returning to my first love, acting. I wrote a book, "True You," that is a No. 1 New York Times best seller. Now I am on my tour. I am not sure when I will get back into the studio, but it will be later this year. I have some ideas about the direction but I will need to see what I am feeling when I am in the studio.

http://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/musi...8686bf7fa6.html

• 2 weeks later...

Janet Jackson to Perform at Paris' Louvre Museum

The Grammy-winning singer will be the first female pop artist to sing under the iconic pyramid.

Grammy-winning singer Janet Jackson will be the first female pop artist to perform under the iconic I.M. Pei glass pyramid at Paris' Louvre Museum.

Jackson, who has sold more than 100 million records worldwide, will perform in conjunction with the museums biannual fundraising event, Liaisons au Louvre, on Tuesday, June 14.

Liaisons au Louvre was created by Becca Cason Thrash, and in its inaugural event raised $2.7 million in June 2008.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/jane...at-paris-175694

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Performing at L'Olympia in Paris (June 26 2011)

th_62adc3138351599.jpg/monthly_06_2011/post-40197-0-1593839748-02763_thumb.jpg" class="ipsImage ipsImage_thumbnailed" alt="67871.jpg"> 67872.jpg 67873.jpg 67874.jpg 67875.jpg 67876.jpg 67877.jpg th_068f62138351713.jpg/monthly_06_2011/post-40197-0-1593839748-77338_thumb.jpg" class="ipsImage ipsImage_thumbnailed" alt="67880.jpg"> 67881.jpg 67882.jpg th_06cd81138351752.jpg/monthly_06_2011/post-40197-0-1593839749-21606_thumb.jpg" class="ipsImage ipsImage_thumbnailed" alt="67886.jpg"> th_d48273138351774.jpg/monthly_06_2011/post-40197-0-1593839749-37172_thumb.jpg" class="ipsImage ipsImage_thumbnailed" alt="67888.jpg"> 67889.jpg th_1f1150138351794.jpg/monthly_06_2011/post-40197-0-1593839749-7038_thumb.jpg" class="ipsImage ipsImage_thumbnailed" alt="67891.jpg"> 67892.jpg 67893.jpg 67894.jpg 67895.jpg 67896.jpg th_ee0788138351895.jpg/monthly_06_2011/post-40197-0-1593839750-3346_thumb.jpg" class="ipsImage ipsImage_thumbnailed" alt="67898.jpg"> 67899.jpg 67900.jpg

Janet Jackson revives brother's memories with virtual duet

Janet Jackson is opening up for the first time about a duet with her brother that she's reviving two years after his death.

Jackson took to the stage in London on Thursday and performed their 1995 song Scream as video of Michael Jackson played and his voice filled Royal Albert Hall.

The reworked duet follows in the footsteps of jazz pianist and singer Nat King Cole and his daughter, Natalie Cole. In 1991 she turned her father's famous 1961 recording "Unforgettable" into a father-daughter duet.

Janet Jackson said she did the original duet at the request of her brother years ago.

"I was on the Rhythm Nation tour and Mike actually asked me to do a song with him and I told him no. I didn't want to do it. I felt I hadn't come into my own and I hadn't fully made a name for myself ... and I didn't want to ride anyone's coattails," she said. "And I remember being in the Janet Tour a few good years later and he asked me again if I would do a song with him. And I felt, at that point, I'd carved my own little niche in this world of music and I felt okay, I can do this now and that's how it came about."

Jackson said that performing the song alongside her brother again isn't difficult.

"It feels great -- just listening to and hearing his voice," she said, adding that on stage she finds herself, "remembering the experience of recording it."

Jackson decline to comment to the press on the two-year mark of her brother's death, instead taking to social media this week with a simple message on Twitter on the June 25 anniversary: "I miss you, I love you."

Jackson wraps up the European leg of her tour this week then heads to North America, Australia and Africa.

http://hottorhottmess.blogspot.com/2011/07...s-memories.html

Review of Janet Jackson at The Grand Canal Theatre on July 5th 2011

Janet Jackson brought her Number 1s: Up Close & Personal tour to the Grand Canal Theatre on Tuesday night. Prior to the show she dedicated ‘Lets Wait Awhile’ to ‘the beautiful people of Dublin’, who incidentally have been waiting awhile for Ms Jackson to perform on these shores.

The band all in white, took their places as excitable fans shrieked at the thought of their icon being merely minutes away. As Janet appeared on stage, looking more like 25 than 45 in a simple black vest and skinny jeans, the crowd took to their feet as she launched in to hits including ‘Principle of Pleasure’, ‘Control’, ‘What Have You Done For Me Lately’, ‘Feedback’ and ‘Nasty’. The choreography definitely a highlight of the show, with each dancer in perfect time, all the while interacting with her adoring fans in the front row.

When she left the stage for a well deserved breather, clips from her various TV and film appearances were played to the bemused crowd. Possibly shown to display Janet’s vast career yet I feel it just left a lot of the crowd scratching their heads. The next set was a complete contrast to the first, as Janet slowed the pace down with her sugary candle-lit ballad section including ’Nothing’, ‘Let’s Wait A While’ and ‘Again’.

We were treated to another video montage, this time of various scantily clad pics of Janet. Picking up the pace with the likes of ‘Doesn’t Really Matter’ and ‘All For You’ Janet proves it’s not just intimate venues that this tour is called Up Close & Personal for, as she has a cheeky grope here and there of her male dancers. ‘Scream’ gets the crowd going wild as it is accompanied with the video starring Michael, followed by the infamous ‘Rhythm Nation’.

As Together Again begins there isn’t a bum left on a seat, it has a tinge of bitter sweetness as family photos of Michael and Janet are shown on the screen. Thanking the audience for their support and acknowledging that Ireland was one of MJ’s favourite places, she seems genuinely touched by the audiences reaction.

Although there was a lack of pyrotechnics, costume changes or outrageous staging, I don’t think anyone was left unimpressed with the show.

http://www.goldenplec.com/2011/07/08/revie...-canal-theatre/

• 2 weeks later...

Janet Jackson personally yours

Janet Jackson will get intimate with her Australian fans in an upcoming theatre tour. NUI TE KOHA reveals how the star is continuing to evolve

TWENTY-five years have passed since Janet Jackson first asserted she was in command.

"It's all about control," she said on her breakthrough album, Control. "And I've got lots of it."

It certainly seemed that way. By then, Jackson had eloped with, married and split from singer James De Barge. She had also severed management ties with her father, Joseph.

But Control, with hits including Nasty, What Have You Done For Me Lately, The Pleasure Principle, and When I Think of You, confirmed Jackson, the youngest child in the famous musical dynasty, had taken charge.

Jackson, a superstar for four decades, now 45, reflects on those times.

"I was a young adult coming into my own and wanted to carve my own niche in the world," she says.

"I wanted to be in control of my life, my loves, my song, my dance.

"But I have so much that I still want to accomplish," Jackson says. "I am continuing to evolve."

We are at London's Royal Albert Hall, where Jackson's latest tour, Number Ones: Up Close and Personal, perfectly showcases her superstar evolution.

The show is exactly what it says - a greatest hits set at close range, in intimate venues Jackson has never played before.

"It's been so much fun to perform for the fans in this way.

"I can see everyone's faces during the show and I get so much energy from them."

The set list runs the full gamut of No.1 hits including Miss You Much, Alright, That's the Way Love Goes, Rhythm Nation and All for You.

Jackson, a troupe of dancers and unrelenting visuals keep the show at full pace.

Indeed, at times, Jackson's new show is so inclusive, and the stage ramps dip so low, the crowd almost becomes part of the act.

Yet, Jackson has always confided in her audience and this is no different.

Her albums, particularly after The Velvet Rope, have often addressed Jackson's issues with low self-esteem. She has also written a self-help book, True You: A Journey to Finding and Loving Yourself.

"There are a few issues I thought I grew past, but when writing the book I learned that there was still some work that I needed to do," she says.

"Most of us struggle with something. The most important thing is to recognise when I'm dealing with it so I can accept where I am and move on."

Jackson said her low self-esteem and body issues date back to the popular sitcom Good Times, which ran from 1974 to 1979.

Producers asked then child actor Jackson to lose weight for her role on the show. She was 10 years old.

"On my first day of work, I went to wardrobe and they bound my chest," she says.

"I was developing early and all I remember is that I was not acceptable the way I was."

Jackson is troubled by recent trends in which Hollywood stars are eating paper tissues to stay thin.

"I know of people who do this," she says.

"It's very disturbing and sad that society puts unrealistic demands on how we should look.

"It has taken me a good while, but I am happy with who I am now."

Jackson is also comfortable to be single.

She was married to De Barge, Rene Elizondo and dated Jermaine Dupri for seven years.

"The best way to a man's heart is through his stomach," Jackson says, laughing.

"No, really, I've learned that I love to be in a relationship, but I have to be happy with myself."

Jackson is now reportedly in a love match with Qatari billionaire Wissim Al Mana.

She does not discount having children in the future.

"I'm very romantic," Jackson says. "As far as being a mum, if it is in God's plan, I would love to be a mum one day."

THERE is another message of destiny in Jackson's show, too - that, one day, she will be reunited with her late brother, Michael, who died two years ago.

It comes in an uplifting yet emotional version of Together Again.

"What I'd give just to hold you close, as on Earth, in heaven we'll be together," she sings as family album photographs of Michael and Janet shine above her. "Everywhere I go, every smile I see, I know you are there, smiling back at me."

Janet politely deflects detailed questions about Michael in this interview, but explains the reasons behind a virtual duet with her brother, of their hit Scream, in the show.

"I wanted to give something to the fans, who, like our family, are grieving," she says.

"Performing with Mike is therapeutic and makes me smile inside. The energy is fierce, but it makes me smile when I hear him."

Backstage, in the cold labyrinth of the Royal Albert Hall, Jackson holds court with confidence and ease.

Is it still about control - and lots of it?

"Now that I'm older, I've come to see that God is the one who is really in control of things," she says. "And that's fine by me."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/sunday-he...f-1226095715042

• 3 weeks later...

Five insights into the life of Ms. Jackson

Janet Jackson, at 45, gets credit as a pop music innovator, a dazzling dancer, a cultural provocateur. Music aside, she'll be forever linked with a 2004 Super Bowl halftime show in which she flashed the nation and caused an uproar.

Expect no wardrobe malfunctions when she performs at Portsmouth's Harbor Center amphitheater on Tuesday, Aug. 9.

So much of Jackson's life has been lived in the white-hot spotlight, it may seem as if there's nothing new to discover about the youngest Jackson sibling. Yet, the closer you look, the more interesting she gets.

Here are five fascinating facts about Janet Jackson (Ms. Jackson if you're nasty.)

She's recently become an author. "True You: A Journey to Finding and Loving Yourself," published in February, is a self-help book, but one that describes Jackson's own issues with weight, self-esteem, self-destructive behavior and depression. "I want people to know that they're not alone," Jackson told NBC's "Dateline." "Because I want it to appeal to teenagers as well as adults. Because that's where it started. I want them to be able to open up and release and speak about it the way I have … They will find it's very liberating, it's very cathartic."

Her total record sales top 100 million. Janet Jackson's chart heyday arrived in an era when people bought albums, tapes and CDs. Hit songs kept those cash registers ringing. Jackson has posted 37 hits in the top 40 of Billboard's Hot 100 chart, just one fewer than brother Michael managed in his lifetime. Her ten No. 1 hits are "When I Think of You," "Miss You Much," "Escapade," "Black Cat," "Love Will Never Do (Without You)," "That's The Way Love Goes," "Again," "Together Again," "Doesn't Really Matter," and "All For You." That list doesn't include signature songs "What Have You Done For Me Lately," "Nasty," and "Rhythm Nation" — all of which didn't quite reach the top spot.

She doesn't look back fondly on "Good Times." As a 10-year-old girl, she joined the cast of the CBS sitcom playing Penny, a battered child. Jackson looks back on her time on the show as being emotionally destructive. Despite her youth, she was asked to lose weight for the role. "On my first day of work, I went to wardrobe and they bound my chest," she told recently told the Australian newspaper the Herald Sun. "I was developing early and all I remember is that I was not acceptable the way I was." The wounds didn't heal quickly. She has said that beginnings of her problems with low self-esteem can be traced back to "Good Times."

Only recently did she allow herself to grieve Michael's loss. "I was in Paris, and I just spent the night just watching all his videos and listening to his music," she told NBC. "And there were moments when I felt to cry and moments that made me laugh, and it was — it was good for me. I needed it. Out of everyone in my family, I never had that moment to cry about his death … I don't know if it was a shield, trying to shield the pain or just trying to hold it all together because I saw that everyone else around me was falling apart. And never, never taking that moment to … really grieve, even at the service."

She originally turned down a chance to record a duet with Michael. Jackson and her most famous brother made a big hit together with "Scream," a track that reached No. 5 in 1995. Originally, though, she balked at the idea of collaborating. "I was on the 'Rhythm Nation' tour and Mike actually asked me to do a song with him and I told him no," she said in an interview with CNN. "I didn't want to do it. I felt I hadn't come into my own and I hadn't fully made a name for myself … and I didn't want to ride anyone's coattails." By 1993, she'd changed her mind. "He asked me again if I would do a song with him. And I felt, at that point, I'd carved my own little niche in this world of music and I felt OK, I can do this now."

http://www.dailypress.com/entertainment/mu...,0,841724.story