Bellazon

Janet Jackson
Thumbnail

Allie

Janet Jackson Opens Essence Music Festival In New Orleans

Jackson ran through her hits, from 'Pleasure Principle' to 'Together Again,' which featured a photo montage of brother Michael.

By Shaheem Reid

Essence magazine is celebrating two very special anniversaries this weekend in New Orleans. It's been 40 years since the publication started and 16 years since they began what has become their Fourth of July holiday weekend staple: the Essence Music Festival.

This year, three of the biggest names in music — iconic figures, especially for the black community and women — are the headliners. Alicia Keys highlights the bill on Saturday, Mary J. Blige closes out the weekend on Sunday, and on Friday night, the 2010 Essence Fest was honored with pop-culture royalty. Janet Jackson brought the crowd in the New Orleans Superdome to their feet with an onslaught of timeless music from her globally cherished catalog.

With the lights out in the stadium, Janet's voice was heard saying, "I hope you enjoy this as much as I do. ... Are we ready? It's all about control."

With so many hits, Jackson chose to start off with "Pleasure Principle," wearing a one-piece outfit with leotards underneath. "You might think I'm crazy, but I'm serious," she began singing. Jackson's set reminded you of how Mike Tyson used to pound his opponents back in the '80s: graceful but extremely forceful with, of course, a first-round knockout.

Jackson started with everything you would imagine: more backup dancers than MC Hammer, seamless choreography, great lighting and the chart toppers. She exploded with "Control" and then "What Have You Done for Me Lately."

"New Orleans, do you want more?" She asked. "Do you want this?"

"You Want This" followed. Then came "Alright," with Jackson poppin' and lockin' with youthful ease. During "Miss You Much," Jackson said, "I know you remember this one ... New Orleans, I miss you."

Jackson left the stage temporarily and the audience was taken for a stroll down memory lane through acting highlights. It started with a clip of "Good Times" in which J.J. Evans brought Penny home after she ran away. There was Janet in that memorable shot, a preteen with a bandage on her head.

"I'm sorry, Momma. I promise I won't do it again," the abused Penny said. Everyone knew what was coming next: that wretched iron.

From there, a clip from "Different Strokes" was shown, with Charlene, Arnold and Willis. Next up was the scene in "Poetic Justice" where her character meets Tupac's Lucky and sexual tension ensues. The highlights ended with "Nutty Professor II" and the Tyler Perry "Why Did I Get Married?" movies.

Janet came back on the stage and sat down, wearing a gown ... with spikes on the shoulders. She sang "Let It Go" and then thrilled the audience with sing-alongs "Come Back to Me" and "Let's Wait a While."

"This was my first number one, thanks to all of you," she said during "When I Think of You." And during "Got 'Til It's Gone," Q-Tip appeared on the video screen, rapping his part.

Later in the show, Janet switched into a dominatrix outfit and led her leather-clad male dancers to the stage. The men crawled on their knees like dogs as Jackson donned a fur coat. Later she went into "Any Time, Any Place."

During a breakdown, Janet took off her coat to reveal a flesh-colored catsuit. She brought up a male fan from the audience and he was promptly put in a harness that constrained his hands and feet. Jackson lay on the floor and the man was suspended, practically laying on top of her. She took his head and placed it in her bosom. Later, the positions were reversed, with the man laying on the floor and Jackson bouncing over him. She also grabbed his crotch at one point.

Jackson's show ended with "Nasty Boys," "Rhythm Nation" and, after another costume change, this one all white, "Together Again."

janetjacksonblackglama5.jpg

Janet poses for Blackglama!

THINK MINK: Janet Jackson has wrapped up another gig. The singer will join the ranks of Diana Ross, Sophia Loren, Lauren Bacall, Elizabeth Taylor, Liza Minnelli and, more recently, Elle Macpherson and Elizabeth Hurley, as the newest face in the Blackglama advertising campaign, 'What Becomes a Legend Most'?

Jackson was photographed by Rocco Laspata of Laspata DeCaro, at the Milk Studios in New York. The campaign, which begins in September, will span print, online and outdoor outlets. The ads will appear in Vanity Fair, W, Vogue, T Magazine and Harper's Bazaar, as well as WWD and Style.com, in addition to the international editions of Vanity Fair, Vogue, Elle and Harper's Bazaar. Blackglama will also mount a Times Square billboard at Broadway and 45th Street in September. The company has increased its marketing spend 40 percent from a year ago, but wouldn't disclose dollar figures. Blackglama has also expanded its product line, introducing leather bags, eyewear, fragrance and fur accessories, in an effort to make it a less seasonal, more year-round brand.

A behind-the-scenes video documenting the making of the campaign will appear on the Blackglama and Jackson Web sites. Jackson flew to New York for the shoot after performing on the finale of 'American Idol,' where her performance shot up to number one on iTunes (which she pointed out via Twitter after the fashion shoot).

So did she get to keep the mink?

'Yes, Janet did get to keep the coat,' confirmed a Blackglama spokesman, a perk for the legends of the past, who all got to keep the coats they were photographed in.

• 2 weeks later...

post-27009-0-1446027241-19544_thumb.jpg

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

JANET JACKSON: FOR THE RECORD

By the best selling authors of Michael Jackson: For The Record

Janet Jackson was born on 16th May 1966 in Gary, Indiana – she was just three years old when five of her older brothers, as the Jackson 5, scored their first hit: I Want You Back.

Unlike her brothers, Janet began her career as an actress, and initially at least that is where saw her future: on screen. She didn’t believe her singing voice amounted to much, but her father Joseph disagreed, and he was largely responsible for securing her first record deal, with A&M Records.

Janet’s first, self-titled, album was released in 1982 when she was 16 years old – but her input to it, and the follow-up DREAM STREET, was minimal. Not until her first marriage, to James DeBarge, was annulled in November 1985 did Janet sit down, to think seriously about her future direction – and, to her surprise, she realised more than anything she wanted to make music.

Decision made, Janet bravely took the first big step on the road to taking control of her own destiny, and fired her manager: her father. Instead, against the advice of her father, she teamed up with James ‘Jimmy Jam’ Harris III & Terry Lewis – formerly members of Prince’s band The Time – and the rest, as the saying goes, is history.

Surprisingly few books dedicated Janet’s career have been published over the years – certainly, nowhere near as many as there have been about her late brother, Michael. This book, which follows the same format as the best selling Michael Jackson: For The Record, is sure to be welcomed by Janet’s fans around the world.

Words: 69,200

Pages: 247

Size: Crown Quarto

ISBN: 978-07552-1258-3

Retail Price: £12.95

For more information about ‘Janet Jackson: For The Record’ or Chris Cadman & Craig Halstead, please contact Authors On Line Ltd or the authors direct, via their website.

About the Authors

Chris Cadman & Craig Halstead have been writing together since 1990, and have previously published six books together: ‘Michael Jackson : The Early Years’, ‘Michael Jackson: The Solo Years’, ‘Jacksons Number Ones’, ‘ABBA Gold Hits’ & ‘Michael Jackson: For The Record’ (1st & 2nd Editions).

Authors’ Website: http://www.cadman-halstead-musicbooks.com

Availability: Print on Demand – delivery normally within 7-10 day

Retail: Order via:

Publisher – telephone 01633 676629

Any UK/USA bookshop

Most other internet bookstores

• 3 weeks later...

Janet Jackson: I spotted Lady Gaga first and now I want to duet with her

Lady Gaga must really have hit the big time – Janet Jackson has revealed she was the first to see the star in Gaga and wants to do a duet with her, à la Beyoncé.

The Poker Face singer was ‘definitely’ a collaboration target, Janet Jackson told Metro’s Ann Lee in an exclusive chat.

‘What I love about Gaga is her story, where she came from’ revealed the 44-year-old, who is now saying ‘I told you so’ by claiming she was the first to tip her for big things.

‘Before she made it, before anyone knew who she was, I knew who she was and, to see her finally make it, I was so happy,’ she insisted, before adding: ‘If we were to work together that would be cool.’

For now, the little sister of the late King of Pop is channelling her personal grief into her role as a grieving mother in new film Why Did I Get Married Too?

The singer admitted her inspiration ‘stems from recent tragedies for my family’.

The film is due for release on September 3.

• 3 weeks later...
th_bfd64598370153.jpg/monthly_09_2010/post-42007-0-1446027243-36652_thumb.jpg" data-fileid="2976733" alt="post-42007-0-1446027243-36652_thumb.jpg" data-ratio="166.67"> post-42007-0-1446027243-37674_thumb.jpg post-42007-0-1446027243-3874_thumb.jpg th_a4042998370191.jpg/monthly_09_2010/post-42007-0-1446027243-44276_thumb.jpg" data-fileid="2976738" alt="post-42007-0-1446027243-44276_thumb.jpg" data-ratio="145.99"> post-42007-0-1446027243-47928_thumb.jpg 2e8b6d98370220.jpg 4e6ec798370229.jpg