Bellazon

Liza Golden
Thumbnail

modelknowledge

Freshman Model Class of 2013: The New Faces to Watch

post-42953-0-1446121211-4538_thumb.jpg
As designers prepare for the next season’s collections, we wonder which models will emerge as stars, and this bright group of young women are about to matriculate into the school of Models to Watch. They’re the faces agents predict (whether by scientific calculation or mystical divination, we cannot say) will win hearts—and contracts—this season. Call them the freshman class of 2013: they have the walk, look and personality to get people talking. “This group was under the radar last year,” says casting director James Scully, “I feel these girls will really be worth watching for this upcoming season.” This class hails from all over the world—from Norway to the East Coast to South Korea—and soon enough, they may graduate to global stardom.

http://www.vogue.com/vogue-daily/article/model-freshman-class-of-2013/#1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Born in Texas, Liza Golden-Bhojwani has been one of the most successful models this country has seen. She's been on the cover of Harper's Bazaar, Vogue, and the Kingfisher calendar, as well as the face of Lakme India. Let’s not forget to mention how many fashion shows she’s walked for, which are too many to list. But behind the glitz and glamour, Liza's journey has been an emotional rollercoaster. Starting at the ripe age of 17, she struggled to keep up with the set standards of the perfect body and looks in the modelling industry. Maintaining a size 0 body that modelling requires wasn't easy for her, and while she put a lot of work into achieving that unrealistic standard, it eventually took a toll on her emotional well-being.

The turning point was when she could no longer handle the pressure of looking a certain way, and had to "step back" and stop working for about a year and a half. The sabbatical put things in perspective, and now, after years of yo-yoing, she has embraced her body and soul, and is looking and feeling "sexier than ever"!

We reached out to her, because we wanted to know more about this journey of self acceptance and confidence. It's a story that touched us, and hopefully will touch you, too... 

How it all began...  
I started modelling in New York when I was 17. I was really thin, a size 0-2. Like many other girls in the industry, I did whatever was needed to stay that size. Diet pills, eat very little. It worked for about a year, but when I turned 18, my body started to go through changes... Normal changes that happen when you become a woman. I went from being a size 0 to a more normal size 4-6. It still worked for me, but not for very long. I was not fat by any standards, but people started saying things about my weight, and it became increasingly difficult for me to get work. They would say things like, "her hips are too wide,” “why is she even here”, or, "she is too fat."

The turning point... 
In 2012, I got super skinny again. I started training religiously. I would work out for four hours a day! I followed a strict diet, limiting myself to 500 calories a day and I lost a lot of weight. I went from about 120 pounds to 112 in just two weeks, after having gone from 130 pounds to 120 pounds in the previous 2 months. I started doing a lot of shows again.

But I was struggling...
I was starving myself to stay the size I was. I was getting a lot of work, but I was actually really struggling to stay that way. One time, I fainted at home. That put things in perspective. I quit my trainer. In the middle of the fashion week, I started gaining weight again.

The struggle...

For such a long time, I yo-yoed between starving myself and bingeing. When you starve yourself and don't eat that cheeseburger or that cookie you really want, in your weak moments, you start eating and just can’t stop. That's what I did for years. I would not eat, or eat very little to stay skinny, and then I would binge eat. And when I would, the weight gain would be rapid. It's always been a struggle for me to stay thin, but yo-yoing like that for so long really damaged my body. It's super unhealthy, because when you eat, even if you eat an average amount, you gain a lot of weight!

It’s about being healthy... 
I eventually realized that you can be a curvier girl and still be healthy. Skinny and healthy are not the same thing. You should be able to eat what you like, but still work out, stay active, supplement with vitamins and drink enough water. You take care of yourself, but starving is not that. It's dangerous and unhealthy. Now I can have cheat days, and eat a burger or a cookie because I don't gain weight that easily anymore. It has balanced out. I don't even feel the need to binge-eat. And most importantly, I feel sexier now... My body has blossomed into something I'm proud of. 

Not just physical... 
I used to be so conscious all the time. You know how it is.  You're always comparing yourself to other girls. People say mean things about your weight. They would tell me that I need to take pills, or eat less, or do this or that to lose weight. It made me feel really sad inside. There was a point I used to cry all the time. I was depressed, always feeling like I was a failure or a disgusting person for not being able to maintain a size 0 body when I saw so many other girls around me who were doing it so easily. I was so insecure and really questioned my career as a model.

How things changed for the better... 

I stepped back. I had to do that, step back and stop working for some time to find what my real happiness is. When you're working, you think that that is what makes you happy... You're making money, you're busy, and you think that makes you happy. But you have to find your true happiness, from the inside out. I met my now-husband when I was going through that time in my life, and from then on my views started to change. That, along with just taking a step back from the industry helped me put things in perspective, and I eventually learnt to accept myself for who I am and put myself and my happiness first.

Doing what's best for you... 
Now, I am getting back to work. But I'm not doing the straight-bodied, size 0 modelling anymore. I do what's called curve modelling. Because that's who I am. I'm a curvy girl, and I no longer feel the need to hide that or be someone that I’m not.  What every girl out there needs to remember... Work for a healthy lifestyle rather than trying drastic regimes. Be who you are. Don't try to be someone else. And most importantly, take care of yourself from the inside out. You’re perfectly imperfect and that’s a beautiful thing. 

http://www.idiva.com/news-work-life/supermodel-liza-goldens-inspirational-story-fighting-body-image-issues-and-finding-her-groove/16092280

• 7 years later...